Melbourne Football

Week 23: Melbourne v Wellington Phoenix - Mar 10 - 5:30pm

Caddy

IMO an entertaining game between two mediocre sides, neither of which deserves to feature in the playoffs. That was one of the worst performances I have seen from our boys. We had virtually nothing in the front half. The defence in general held up, but Marrone had a poor first half - he seemed to have no idea what to do when coming forward. Thompson was awful - lost count of how often he lost the ball or passed it direct to a WP player. Fred not much better, and poor show from a captain not to shake hands with JvS when substituted off. Babalj redeemed himself with a goal, but was not at his best. Neither was Dugandzic. What disturbs me most about us is our negative attitude. Too many back passes - and how many free-kicks did we take backwards? Srhoj and Germano OK - would like to see Germano in an AM role because he at least is prepared to have a shot. With a number of players coming out of contract IMO we should have a clean-out and get in some new blood. If we keep trotting out results like this we won't make much progress next season either.

Sydney have beaten MV by 1-0. So we are fifth on 35 points, Newcastle sixth on 35 points, and Sydney seventh on 34 points. The fifth and sixth spots are between the three of us. MV, Adelaide and GCU are out of it now.

Edited by jw1739

what happens now is that our fate (top 4) is now no longer in our own hands. If perth win tommorow, we can forget about it. a draw and glory are still ahead by three but a central win would see us only two behind. I honestly think that ccm will win because they need the 3 points to grab top spot. Dou you think its better to have the 1/2 playoff home leg first or second?

fixture for important teams

This week

Perth v Mariners

Next week

Us v Sydney

Pheonix away v victory. a draw or a win to victory could help us.

Newy v BRISBANE ROAR, thats good for us, hopefully.

Glory away to GCU. I think gcu will take at least a point. They will have a decent crowd behind tham and are actually quite good.

Final round

Us v adelaide

Pheonix v CCM

Glory v VICTORY

Newy v Sydney, could well be a battle for 6th (if that is the case, that will be awesome!)

possibilities

this is no easy leauge.

We need urgency though next week against sydney.

win: chance of top 4, near certainty in finals

draw: no top four, we will probs need win or draw against adelaide

loss: we HAVE to beat adelaide to have a chance

meh some guy behind me yelled out to warner you black cunt

few people getting frustrated with ando yelling at people to chant when the terrace has been dead for a minute, if youve got the mic chant and dont talk shit and lastly "stay till the players leave" not everyone wants/can do that

IMO an entertaining game between two mediocre sides, neither of which deserves to feature in the playoffs. What disturbs me most about us is our negative attitude. Too many back passes - and how many free-kicks did we take backwards?

Supposedly bringing 'beautiful football' to the league though, personally i'd rather watch one of my dogs shit than what has been dished up this year. 3 weeks to go till hopes and dreams are restored, bring on 2012/13.

Happy with the 1-1 draw.

Got to admit that a team like Roar would have punished us for some of our mistakes.

You didn't look dangerous at all up front (we weren't too flash either).

Neither sides will have a chance against Brissy, when we're in the finals.

what happens now is that our fate (top 4) is now no longer in our own hands. If perth win tommorow, we can forget about it. a draw and glory are still ahead by three but a central win would see us only two behind. I honestly think that ccm will win because they need the 3 points to grab top spot. Dou you think its better to have the 1/2 playoff home leg first or second?

fixture for important teams

This week

Perth v Mariners

Next week

Us v Sydney

Pheonix away v victory. a draw or a win to victory could help us.

Newy v BRISBANE ROAR, thats good for us, hopefully.

Glory away to GCU. I think gcu will take at least a point. They will have a decent crowd behind tham and are actually quite good.

Final round

Us v adelaide

Pheonix v CCM

Glory v VICTORY

Newy v Sydney, could well be a battle for 6th (if that is the case, that will be awesome!)

possibilities

this is no easy leauge.

We need urgency though next week against sydney.

win: chance of top 4, near certainty in finals

draw: no top four, we will probs need win or draw against adelaide

loss: we HAVE to beat adelaide to have a chance

To me here is how the season runs out

Vs Sydney

Win: Guaranteed finals (Go 4 points above sydney.)

Draw: Still stay a point up on 7th, Maybe even 6th if Roar knock off Jets (in which case, we should still make finals unless we lose to adelaide with Newy + Syd drawing their last game)

Lose: Need to take all 3 points in Adelaide

VS Adelaide

if we're unable to win in adelaide don't deserve finals anyway.

Once again we were crying out for someone like Gerald Sibon. Someone who can actually hit the ball low and hard into the corner of the net. Dugandzic hasn't scored since 29th December and since then we have not scored more than one goal in any game, for just nine goals in the twelve matches in 2012.

meh some guy behind me yelled out to warner you black cunt

few people getting frustrated with ando yelling at people to chant when the terrace has been dead for a minute, if youve got the mic chant and dont talk shit and lastly "stay till the players leave" not everyone wants/can do that

For fuck sake. This is why we can't have nice things.

• Like 1

cant understand why players dont fucking shoot from around the box, cant always look for a tap in

@ando what did that kid with the gk jersey say for u to mouth off at him?

he made homophobic claims towards him.

as ando said at the time, that stuff is not on in the terrace.

Apart from the goal he scored, Babalj had an absolute shocker yesterday. It should've been game over well before the equaliser if not for missed opportunities.

But our first half was some of the best football we've played all year. Our passing and movement was teriffic. Anyone not happy with the standard of football we played in that half wasn't watching properly. And despite Phoenix having more posession in the second half, we were pretty comfortable until punished for our wastefulness by a cracking strike from Ifill.

Unfortunately, we won't get a home final, but I think were still a decent chance to go deep into the finals on the basis of our last three weeks. Undefeated to the top three sides and dominated yesterday. It's a broken record, but we need a clinical finisher and better decision making in the front third.

And I never thought I'd say this, but man of the match: Wayne Shroj. That was the best game I've ever seen him play. Given his experience, we should be expecting that type of performance every week.

Shroj and Mate were brilliant last night.

Finals is a waste of time anyway it will be a Mariners v Roar final everyone else is just making up the numbers

Don't think like that mate, don't forget that we have beaten the Mariners and the Roar this season, anything can happen.

spiranovic, there's plenty of other seats if you don't like what we do in the terrace.

Certain attitudes are not on, but one that over-rides all others is the expectation that you stand and you sing, for 90 mins.

clearly do stand for the 90+,not staying for an extra 20 for players to leave,some need to catch trains to go home

why did the marrone chant not come out till he went on that massive run and terra chant wasnt done, instead forza melbourne was done :blink:

cant beleive we let that game slip, but babalj how did he not get onto some of those is beyond me, hopefully they do better against sydney

You really can't believe that we let a game slip away from us? You are 100% serious about this?

I'd be more surprised if we had won it, that shit never happens. For probably the 5th or so time, I was saying that we needed another goal to ensure a win. Look what happened, again.

clearly do stand for the 90+,not staying for an extra 20 for players to leave,some need to catch trains to go home

why did the marrone chant not come out till he went on that massive run and terra chant wasnt done, instead forza melbourne was done :blink:

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU FUCKING RETARD.

• Like 2