Melbourne Football

R24: City v Brisbane, Friday 5 April, 7.50pm, AAMI Park

Harrison

10 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Lowest of the season isn't it?

Wow

35 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

How much of this performance can really be put down to Joyce having spent the week talking to god on the big white telephone? 

If, I suspect, that's the case, then I'm sure that we all wish him a long recovery

• Like 3

I almost fell off my seat when Joyce brought McGree on for Griffiths at 2-1. We need to see more of those attacking substitutions, especially when the match is in the balance. 

Brisbane can pose a threat with players like Bautheac but aren’t a very good team. We were able to press quite well, control the tempo and certainly attacked a lot more than usual. 

Just need to keep going and string some wins together.

I was at the match and I thought the scoreline flattered us, to be honest.  Brisbane have won just a handful of games all season and we should have steamrollered them far earlier with that lineup. It had 2-1 written all over it until that screamer from Richie and the delicious injury-time fluke.  Not being negative - we were NOT all over them.

Edited by CityWildcat

24 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

I was at the match and I thought the scoreline flattered us, to be honest.  Brisbane have won just a handful of games all season and we should have steamrollered them far earlier with that lineup. It had 2-1 written all over it until that screamer from Richie and the delicious injury-time fluke.  Not being negative - we were NOT all over them.

We have had a poor run, a whopping last week, and negative press about the management of the club and the way it seems to be headed. In those circumstances, I don't know what more you could have hoped for. We were certainly very sloppy and disjointed between our first goal and our second, but IMO Brisbane were never on top. Joyce made some good substitutions this time around, Najjarine started to tear holes in the Brisbane defence and in the end 4-1 is a comfortable win in most people's books. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

But heck no. Baccus decides to play a lazy ball back to Griffiths and ignores the opportunity to progress up the pitch.

That what frustrates me the most quick turn and got a heap space to move forward but nope go back and allows roar/whoever to fill that space

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

A decent win over a hapless opponent. At least it wasn't 1 nil or 2:1, we really did put some distance between us on the scoreboard.

There's plenty of upside in our the team even with the current crop of players but we're not going to see it if we continue with the mindset that's been instilled by Joyce. A couple of simple examples of much that's wrong and can be corrected - it's all between the ears stuff.

Harrison sees Baccus in front of him with nobody around and calling for the ball.

33670290198_8ed7927406_b.jpg

But the safest and laziest pass is backwards to Ritchie. Two options here. A positive forward pass or a lazy negative backwards pass. The Foxsports commentators spent some time on this short passage of playing highlighting the negative mindset.

47494170432_e27b34c402_b.jpg

The second passage is also brief but again symptomatic of our problems around mindset. We see this every game.

Brats lays a nice pass to Baccus in the middle of the pitch. Griffiths is immediately to the right of Brats. Baccus has practically nobody around him and can turn and run up the pitch.

40580912093_45f4a2a815_b.jpg

But heck no. Baccus decides to play a lazy ball back to Griffiths and ignores the opportunity to progress up the pitch.

40580912213_0e4e6c21de_b.jpg

In both cases we waste opportunities to pressure the opposition which means we give them time to re-group. It appears that Joyce's preoccupation with defence and clean sheets has meant that (some) players are reluctant to attack and feel more comfortable playing safe.

That’s exactly why WSW wasn’t too fussed letting Backus go, according to their fan forum. He’s got the skills for a short turn but he only displays that turning back to a reversed pass. He needs to be coached better.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

A decent win over a hapless opponent. At least it wasn't 1 nil or 2:1, we really did put some distance between us on the scoreboard.

There's plenty of upside in our the team even with the current crop of players but we're not going to see it if we continue with the mindset that's been instilled by Joyce. A couple of simple examples of much that's wrong and can be corrected - it's all between the ears stuff.

Harrison sees Baccus in front of him with nobody around and calling for the ball.

33670290198_8ed7927406_b.jpg

But the safest and laziest pass is backwards to Ritchie. Two options here. A positive forward pass or a lazy negative backwards pass. The Foxsports commentators spent some time on this short passage of playing highlighting the negative mindset.

47494170432_e27b34c402_b.jpg

The second passage is also brief but again symptomatic of our problems around mindset. We see this every game.

Brats lays a nice pass to Baccus in the middle of the pitch. Griffiths is immediately to the right of Brats. Baccus has practically nobody around him and can turn and run up the pitch.

40580912093_45f4a2a815_b.jpg

40580912213_0e4e6c21de_b.jpg

In both cases we waste opportunities to pressure the opposition which means we give them time to re-group. It appears that Joyce's preoccupation with defence and clean sheets has meant that (some) players are reluctant to attack and feel more comfortable playing safe.

The coaches guide to mediocrity.

signed WJ xo

Went to the game Friday night and enjoyed the win. Ritchies goal was world class, Shay’s goal showed persistence and Riley’s was class (can’t all be fluke). 

However, still can’t work out why we play so negative. McGree and Ramy add pace and movement, both should be on no later than 60th min if not starting. 

Can we play Delbo as a CB or not at all? He can’t cross and has no direction with his head. He shouldn’t be allowed to move past the half way line IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzOranje said:

Went to the game Friday night and enjoyed the win. Ritchies goal was world class, Shay’s goal showed persistence and Riley’s was class (can’t all be fluke). 

However, still can’t work out why we play so negative. McGree and Ramy add pace and movement, both should be on no later than 60th min if not starting. 

Can we play Delbo as a CB or not at all? He can’t cross and has no direction with his head. He shouldn’t be allowed to move past the half way line IMO. 

Spot on.

Well we play so negative because of Warren Joyce full stop. The man who bans mostly attacking players from the club over the last two years and trades in speedy wingers for defensive midfielders.

Do we have any other options for LB? Jamieson is injured and couldn’t cross either, youth won’t get a look into.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Do we have any other options for LB? Jamieson is injured and couldn’t cross either, youth won’t get a look into.

Unfortunately we don't.

We went into the season with one LB and nobody else able to properly fill in.  

I was thinking De Laet could be used there, with Atkinson or Pierias going to RB. 

3 hours ago, OzOranje said:

I thought it was an inch-perfect Delbridge cross that gave us a goal a couple of matches ago?

IMO you grossly underestimate the guy. Sure, he isn't the world's best, but he and Schenkeveld have saved our arses so many times this season. That's why they're leading the player of the season competition.

• Like 1

I’d be happy with a shenk Delly partnership next season. Although there are the shenk Sydney fc rumours and dellly to West Melb.

first thing to do this off season after fucking of Joyce is to make Shenk marquee and thank Richie for his services

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

I’d be happy with a shenk Delly partnership next season. Although there are the shenk Sydney fc rumours and dellly to West Melb.

first thing to do this off season after fucking of Joyce is to make Shenk marquee and thank Richie for his services

Delbridge is under contract until the end of next season. No way should we let him go. He's improved and matured greatly since joining us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I thought it was an inch-perfect Delbridge cross that gave us a goal a couple of matches ago?

IMO you grossly underestimate the guy. Sure, he isn't the world's best, but he and Schenkeveld have saved our arses so many times this season. That's why they're leading the player of the season competition.

Regarding his crossing I'd disagree because I've seen him spray way too many balls he's tried to switch across the pitch. Watching him completely fluff those crosses on Friday reiterates this. Granted he may cross the odd ball well at times throughout the season and may even win you a game but he won't win you a championship if this is his role. Depends what you prioritise I guess. 

In saying that I've been impressed with a lot of his performances in CB this season. Anyway this is what I took from @OzOranje post as he also says to play him in CB. 

Edited by n i k o

31 minutes ago, MCMLIII said:

A win can't generate any excitement on this forum. This thread is only three pages long of which the first page were all posts prior to kick-off.

The wounds run deeper than winning and losing. Serious damage over a long period has sucked the life from the clubs fan community.

• Like 3

On 07/04/2019 at 7:48 PM, JMSTEP123 said:

The wounds run deeper than winning and losing. Serious damage over a long period has sucked the life from the clubs fan community.

To me it’s not about winning and losing. Ok the forms been poor, but I go to the football for entertainment and watching us play 8-1-1 just isn’t what I call football, regardless of the result. It’s unwatchable. Even the Aloisi madness of long aerials to a “vertically challenged” striker was more entertaining.

What we’ve seen the last two seasons is Dementor-ball. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

To me it’s not about winning and losing. Ok the forms been poor, but I go to the football for entertainment and watching us play 8-1-1 just isn’t what I call football, regardless of the result. It’s unwatchable. Even the Aloisi madness of long aerials to a “vertically challenged” striker was more entertaining.

I concur - results at all costs is barely sufficient justification when results manifest consistently. 

The costs to:

- entertainment (viewing and for players)

- establishing a connection between players and fans

- creating a culture of success for which increased viewership and club status is attained

Even if we win the final this year I fear the costs will even then outweigh the benefit (am I really making this argument?). Honestly - we do not deserve it; I feel little to no pride in our club; I feel a lack of connection to City (bar this forum and fleeting reminders of why I fell in love with this club in the first place) - the damage of the past season is too much to be undone by winning at the top (which is doubtful anyhow).

Fingers crossed for the offseason. I will be watching for many early indicators.

Serious question for all - would winning the GF be sufficient justification for what we have wittnessed transpire this season?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

I feel a lack of connection to City (bar this forum and fleeting reminders of why I fell in love with this club in the first place)...

For me this is the critical point. If you feel the connection, then all else can be - and will be  - forgiven. The club needs to work very hard and very quickly in this direction.

9 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Agree, at least with JVS we were entertained and there were discussions about who should play, some tweeks we would like to see. 

We weren't the best club out there, but we knew what to expect, saw a few youth kick on and it was enjoyable being the club no one liked. 

It all seems a bit meh at the moment, I'm hoping for a good off season, something to look forward to in 19-20.

38 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Think this is really good from the league for a change. Clearly highlights how the decision was made and why.

Throw in the video about (was it Gillet?) Refs last game and the on field discussions between players and refs. Seems like a purposeful exercise in building respect towards the refs.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Think this is really good from the league for a change. Clearly highlights how the decision was made and why.

As long as the VAR is consistent with the application of the "...clearly wrong" principle then it's OK with me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

I hope it continues. I was always against the VAR and I still am. Fact is, it’s not going anywhere so might as well make it work.

one change I would bring in is that the referees can watch replays and have different angles but it has to be at game speed, or only a slightly slower video. I think it’s pretty clear that slo mo has a big distorting effect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I hope it continues. I was always against the VAR and I still am. Fact is, it’s not going anywhere so might as well make it work.

one change I would bring in is that the referees can watch replays and have different angles but it has to be at game speed, or only a slightly slower video. I think it’s pretty clear that slo mo has a big distorting effect.

I completely agree with you on all points. 

5 hours ago, Dylan said:

I get what your saying but slow mo is actually the whole purpose of the replay.

The linial ones like ball crossing the line or a players position at a particular seconds must be in slow mo.

Now fouls or hand balls are more contentious because when slowed down they are always worse.

20 hours ago, Jovan said:

I get what your saying but slow mo is actually the whole purpose of the replay.

The linial ones like ball crossing the line or a players position at a particular seconds must be in slow mo.

Now fouls or hand balls are more contentious because when slowed down they are always worse.

Well that might have been a reasoning behind creating the tech in the first place (slow motion replay) but it distorts reality so I think the ref should make a call at the same game speed as he would make live. 

I can see the use for handball and offside but I still think that seeing multiple angles would be better overall than slow motion.

i have no idea where I read this so I could just be making this up. but I could swear there was some kind of study about referees and umpires and it’s usually their first initial reaction decision (almost before they even think about it) that comes out to be correct.