Melbourne Football

R23: WSW v City, Saturday March 30, 7.50pm, ANZ Stadium

Harrison

24 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Cos they're done at the start of the season?

Sure, but we constantly have terrible crowds for TV and have done so for years. I can understand if we are away but wouldnt be surprised if there is some leaning going on in terms of time slots etc.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

birra

bort, la rocca, delbo

RDL,  rostyn, baccus, pieras

brats

jmac,  shayon

dont really have anyone to hang on the left side - wouldnt start deblo there, he would get rinsed by wsw pace.  and would rather delbo over good (I think la rocca brings some good experience).  

I like your thinking but no chance pierias starts. I think he's be binned since leaving. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, AXIOM said:

I like your thinking but no chance pierias starts. I think he's be binned since leaving. 

Just like Kamau was last season as soon as he announced that he was leaving.

This fixture could go any way. Statistically, we rarely have single wins so a win is more possible. Then again, this is Melbourne City, anything is possible

14 hours ago, AXIOM said:

I'm not so sure about that. The news release about his departure made specific mention that he would continue to be available for selection until his contract expires - i.e. 31st May 2019.

"With three appearances for City’s senior squad over the past couple of years, Pierias will continue to be available for selection for both Melbourne City’s Hyundai A-League and National Premier League teams until his contract concludes."

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/pierias-depart-seasons-end

There's no point in saying that unless you mean it.

53 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not so sure about that. The news release about his departure made specific mention that he would continue to be available for selection until his contract expires - i.e. 31st May 2019.

"With three appearances for City’s senior squad over the past couple of years, Pierias will continue to be available for selection for both Melbourne City’s Hyundai A-League and National Premier League teams until his contract concludes."

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/pierias-depart-seasons-end

There's no point in saying that unless you mean it.

Smoke and mirrors jw you should know better. WJ has a track record with either players leaving or simply fall out and in the bin they go. Time will tell but watch delbo play LWB lol. 

• Like 1

Galekovic

De Laet/Schenkeveld/La Rocca/Good/Delbridge

Baccus/Griffiths/Brattan

Harrison/Maclaren

--

With that formation and those players (in the second half), we beat Sydney 2-0 away without conceding a shot on target. Stands to reason that Joyce will go with that same system.

On paper it is a very defensive set-up. Delbridge at LWB is an odd one but he is surprisingly versatile. Baccus and Brattan need to be getting forward like they did last week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AXIOM said:

Smoke and mirrors jw you should know better. WJ has a track record with either players leaving or simply fall out and in the bin they go. Time will tell but watch delbo play LWB lol. 

I dont see any point in playing Pieiras now unless he's the best man for the job. Given his experience, and lack therof, that would be unlikely in most scenarios imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Galekovic

De Laet/Schenkeveld/La Rocca/Good/Delbridge

Baccus/Griffiths/Brattan

Harrison/Maclaren

--

With that formation and those players (in the second half), we beat Sydney 2-0 away without conceding a shot on target. Stands to reason that Joyce will go with that same system.

On paper it is a very defensive set-up. Delbridge at LWB is an odd one but he is surprisingly versatile. Baccus and Brattan need to be getting forward like they did last week. 

Delbridge did well against Sydney, you could say better than Jamieson. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

With no official 1st team Socceroo game this weekend, FFA should have arranged an A-League Socceroo squad against one of our Asian neighbors  ... 

Isn't the objective of an international break so that clubs are not weakened by call-ups to the national team? In the absence of any match for the national team I can't see the point of observing the break, especially after the split round last time. Do New Zealand have a match? If not I can't see why the League should not have had a full fixture this coming weekend.

All those matches in January and then a half-baked March doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by jw1739

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Isn't the objective of an international break so that clubs are not weakened by call-ups to the national team? In the absence of any match for the national team I can't see the point of observing the break, especially after the split round last time. Do New Zealand have a match? If not I can't see why the League should not have had a full fixture this coming weekend.

All those matches in January and then a half-baked March doesn't make sense to me.

Our U23's are playing trying to qualify for the olimpics and the world cup, some teams are missing first team players.

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI, 2.Ritchie DE LAET, 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley McGREE, 9.Shayon HARRISON, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 22.Curtis GOOD, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 29.Jamie MACLAREN, 34.Connor METCALFE

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI (returns from illness), 8.Riley MCGREE (returns from international duty), 10.Dario VIDOSIC (returns from illness), 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON (returns from international duty), 19.Lachlan WALES (returns from international duty), 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER (returns form injury)

Outs: 3.Scott Jamieson (toe), 58.Yaya Dukuly (omitted), 21.Ramy NAJJARINE (omitted), 43.James DELIANOV (omitted)

Unavailable: 30.Moudi NAJJAR (ankle)
https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/team-news-citys-round-23-squad-0

Edited by jw1739

10 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

Is there a game on this weekend?    :unsure::unsure:

In retrospect it was a poor move to have the split round just before the international break. Seems like all momentum in the league has been lost and the season is petering out. Especially with the AFL starting with some blockbuster matches. Hopefully we can get a result against WSW and generate some interest for our remaining home matches.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

In retrospect it was a poor move to have the split round just before the international break. Seems like all momentum in the league has been lost and the season is petering out. Especially with the AFL starting with some blockbuster matches. Hopefully we can get a result against WSW and generate some interest for our remaining home matches.

Yeh i think its league wide. Total balls up from the FFA imo, which wont surprise anyone.

• Like 3

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/berenguer-back-for-city-as-olyroo-stars-return-with-confidence-boosted-20190329-p518v6.html

Berenguer back for City as Olyroo stars return with confidence boosted

By Michael Lynch

March 29, 2019 — 1.21pm

Melbourne City will include French forward Florin Berenguer for the visit to Western Sydney on Saturday night, but coach Warren Joyce will wait to see how his three Olyroo players - Lachlan Wales, Nathaniel Atkinson and Riley McGree - fare in the hours leading up to the game to decide which, if any, of them start.

City will be without captain Scott Jamieson, who broke his toe in the 2-0 win over Sydney two weeks ago (the club's last game) and while Dario Vidosic has returned to training after a lengthy absence he is not likely to be part of the group who head north for the Saturday evening game.

Jamieson's absence could see versatile utility Harrison Delbridge fill in at left back, while centre back Curtis Good is left footed and has played in that position before.

Joyce is a big supporter of the under age national teams - something welcomed by Olyroo and Socceroo boss Graham Arnold - and says that his trio of players have benefited greatly from being part of the squad which went through to the final phase of Olympic Games qualification in a mini tournament in Cambodia last week.

''Three of the kids have been away with Australia, they have done extremely well. I am pleased that they have come back unscathed this morning,'' he said on Friday.

''We are delighted they have done well, we have had good feedback from Graham Arnold and his staff. I do think it really helps them,'' Joyce said, drawing on his experience earlier in his career when he was coaching Royal Antwerp in Belgium.

''I was there when their golden generation was coming through. Because their federation had more control of the clubs the best trained with the best everyday ... it challenges them and gives them a lift. It gives them experience and different experiences develop players.

''Everyone (in Australia) wants the same thing. The clubs want the best players playing for them, but you want your players to be successful, you want them to play for your country.

''The kids are absolutely buzzing that they are representing their country, they walked in last night 10 foot tall. It really gives them a lift, it's what they aspire to.

''When we challenged them at the start of the season, put demands on them to be a top pro, trying to create a culture that enables them to do that, you see the rewards and see them getting a bit of joy and recognition. They feel good about themselves.''

If Joyce opts not to play his internationals he is confident that other younger players can step up.

''Connor (Metcalfe) did well against Sydney when he came on, Ramy (Najjarine) did okay for a cameo and has trained really well.

''There is competition for places and we want the best young Aussies here. Connor staked a claim when he came on against Sydney against some good players

''You want him to force himself forward for international recognition on a par with the other three because I think he is capable of doing it.''

The last time City faced Western Sydney they needed a last gasp winner to secure the points in a 4-3 triumph. Joyce would like things to be a bit more straightforward this time.

''We started that game well, scored early, took our foot off the pedal. We want to go there this time and be relentless, continue the form we have had for several weeks, go there and get a win.''