Melbourne Football

Rd. 22 vs. Sydney, Sun 17th March, Away (Leichhardt Oval) 7.00 p.m.

jw1739

12 minutes ago, MCMLIII said:

Forum is very quiet today. Seems like care factor is low.

Been a sign of the times for at least the last 2 months.

1 minute ago, AXIOM said:

Great win first in 7 games. Starting to build some momentum towards the finals. 

Syd did not offer much tonight. We need to use this as a platform to get consistent results. A deflection and poor defence helped us find the net. We still lack so much creativity and cannot penetrate through the middle. All in all a good result against a team that usually gets the better of us. 

The game is over, but, as a long-time City supporter, I'm still expecting that we'll somehow find a way to lose the game.

Positives:

We won

We scored against Sydney who had no shots on target

The heavy pitch suited us as it meant we could just play our usual slow game

Good game from Metcalfe

Negatives:

Mind-numbing

Care factor - zero

No creativity, predictable gameplay, as usual.

We really need a creative number 10

• Thanks 1

Great away win! Maybe 3 at the back is the way forward.

Griffiths, Metcalf, De Leat and Schenkeveld all excellent tonight.

Harrison got himself on the scoreboard but I couldn’t help thinking that he didn’t really wanted to be there, if you compare his work rate to Maclaren.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

In regards to Harrison, playing as a 2nd striker, his job is to create opportunities for his partner and to take his chances if they come his way.

he didn’t create much, but he had 2 chances and is going home with 2 goals. Job Done.

his anonymous first half is completely irrelevant.

6 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

In regards to Harrison, playing as a 2nd striker, his job is to create opportunities for his partner and to take his chances if they come his way.

he didn’t create much, but he had 2 chances and is going home with 2 goals. Job Done.

his anonymous first half is completely irrelevant.

Give them all credit. A fucking good away win.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Great away win! Maybe 3 at the back is the way forward.

Griffiths, Metcalf, De Leat and Schenkeveld all excellent tonight.

Harrison got himself on the scoreboard but I couldn’t help thinking that he didn’t really wanted to be there, if you compare his work rate to Maclaren.

TBH I thought Baccus had one of his better games, made some good intercepts and tackles and did really well for the first goal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Ray Gatt article reckons Sydney dominated the game and possession and quoted Corica about taking chances.

What chances?

They were certainly the better side for about the first 15 minutes of each half but that was about it.

It's nice to see the shoe on the other foot for a change.

Been saying for ages now every time we play them that we have to stop the Brilliante/O'Neill combination. Without one of those players yesterday, they looked average in the midfield (probably explains why Retre and Caceres) are no longer with us. They looked a shadow yesterday Sydney - all the credit must go to us for nullifying them and beating them away from home.

Away game on pay TV always nullify number of forum comments.

A few things were factor last night. Sydney were tired after Japan's game. Caceres played. We had nine (9) players in defensive roles. Not only that there was no space for their attackers, our own CBs bumped into each other. And Harrison showed why he's above Najj-xxx players.

WJ returned back to his origins, ultra defensive strategy as he started, successfully; the league.  Still, it's simply unsustainable to field all defensive line-up for the sake of the game itself and what surrounds it.

• Like 2

I know people on here love to crack a fat over how our ex players leave and become 'stars' at other clubs. But a quick review of these blokes from last night's game and i am pretty happy tbh they are no longer with us.

Zullo - has got a bit ahead of himself i feel. Fukd up royally for our first goal - had Harrison's run covered and then for some stupid reason, decided to cut back behind him and try and get to Baccus, a play he was never going to make. Opened up the space for Harrison and by the time Zullo got back, the ball was in the back of the net.

Retre - Too soft in the tackle against Baccus. Turnover lead to our first goal. Unfortunate for the second, but didn't do that much in my mind to warrant him being still with us.

Caceres - lol, who? hasn't changed since his time with us. Painfully slow with ball movement and invisible most of the time.

Wilkinson - does his job, but would rather our CB setup tbh.

Redmayne - a lot of gusto but didn't look at all commanding against us last night.

3 minutes ago, rass said:

I know people on here love to crack a fat over how our ex players leave and become 'stars' at other clubs. But a quick review of these blokes from last night's game and i am pretty happy tbh they are no longer with us.

Zullo - has got a bit ahead of himself i feel. Fukd up royally for our first goal - had Harrison's run covered and then for some stupid reason, decided to cut back behind him and try and get to Baccus, a play he was never going to make. Opened up the space for Harrison and by the time Zullo got back, the ball was in the back of the net.

Retre - Too soft in the tackle against Baccus. Turnover lead to our first goal. Unfortunate for the second, but didn't do that much in my mind to warrant him being still with us.

Caceres - lol, who? hasn't changed since his time with us. Painfully slow with ball movement and invisible most of the time.

Wilkinson - does his job, but would rather our CB setup tbh.

Redmayne - a lot of gusto but didn't look at all commanding against us last night.

Last night they weren't great but they did all play midweek in Japan and were clearly cooked. Also, over a longer period of time, they've all looked quite good (except Caceres).

The reality is all of those players have improved since leaving our club and I'd take all of those players back, except for Caceres. 

Wilkinson is the only 'star' IMO but all the rest would have a place in our squad. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Last night they weren't great but they did all play midweek in Japan and were clearly cooked. Also, over a longer period of time, they've all looked quite good (except Caceres).

The reality is all of those players have improved since leaving our club and I'd take all of those players back, except for Caceres. 

Wilkinson is the only 'star' IMO but all the rest would have a place in our squad. 

Yeah, I hear you - and I was only using last night as an example. I think though, as with every team, you're only as good as the players around you (unless you are a bonafide superstar). Take Brilliante, Adrian, Bobo and these types out of that team and all of a sudden to me, they looked much less potent - they actually reminded me of us. Lots of ball, but no end product.

18 minutes ago, rass said:

Yeah, I hear you - and I was only using last night as an example. I think though, as with every team, you're only as good as the players around you (unless you are a bonafide superstar). Take Brilliante, Adrian, Bobo and these types out of that team and all of a sudden to me, they looked much less potent - they actually reminded me of us. Lots of ball, but no end product.

But really isn’t that the issue?

we show our journeymen the door, only to replace them with other journeymen and nothing changes.

The real issue is getting the big signings and the structure right, do that and you’re in business. But we never have.

In the meantime rotating the “role players” only makes it harder to gel the side.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

But really isn’t that the issue?

we show our journeymen the door, only to replace them with other journeymen and nothing changes.

The real issue is getting the big signings and the structure right, do that and you’re in business. But we never have.

In the meantime rotating the “role players” only makes it harder to gel the side.

Good post.

Its not impossible to have a title winning side with 11 role players, but history has shown its far more likely that a side built around a few stars with an odd weak link wins it in this comp.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Good post.

Its not impossible to have a title winning side with 11 role players, but history has shown its far more likely that a side built around a few stars with an odd weak link wins it in this comp.

Yes, look at our FFA Cup Final winning side. A couple of weak links perhaps, but the rest of the boys were pretty bloody good at that time in their careers.

Edited by jw1739

19 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We always do. We rarely look creative. Too much focus on physical training and too little on playing with freedom and flair. Particularly under Joyce.

To be honest i watched the first 15 mins and was so bored i turned it of and went and watched a movie which had more action than this game . Boy was i surprised to find out that we had won totally amazed.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/injury-update

An oddly specific injury update out of what happened on the weekend. 

Very detailed. 

Like everything else they do it comes out of nowhere and is rarely continued.

This is exactly what those invested in the club want. If a bloke is injured just put it out there. I can understand if a bloke gets dropped due to form or whatever the reason it's not explained but injury is a no brainer. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Very detailed. 

Like everything else they do it comes out of nowhere and is rarely continued.

This is exactly what those invested in the club want. If a bloke is injured just put it out there. I can understand if a bloke gets dropped due to form or whatever the reason it's not explained but injury is a no brainer. 

Let's see if it is continued. Is it a function of the change in CEO that is about to happen? Whatever, we've been asking for it for as long as I can remember.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Let's see if it is continued. Is it a function of the change in CEO that is about to happen? Whatever, we've been asking for it for as long as I can remember.

I'm not holding my breath but will be pumped if they continue.