Melbourne Football

Rd:21 v Perth @ AAMI Sun 5pm 3 March. The Warren Joyce Farewell Game

Dylan

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley MCGREE, 9.Shayon HARRISON, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 22.Curtis GOOD, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 29.Jamie MACLAREN, 34.Connor METCALFE, 36.Dylan PIERIAS
**two to be omitted**

Ins: 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON (promoted), 21.Ramy NAJJARINE (promoted), 34.Connor METCALFE (promoted), 36.Dylan PIERIAS (promoted)

Outs: 2.Ritchie DE LAET (suspended – 1 week), 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD (suspended – 1 week)

Unavailable: 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE (hamstring)

On 2/28/2019 at 1:02 PM, jw1739 said:

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley MCGREE, 9.Shayon HARRISON, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 22.Curtis GOOD, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 29.Jamie MACLAREN, 34.Connor METCALFE, 36.Dylan PIERIAS
**two to be omitted**

Ins: 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON (promoted), 21.Ramy NAJJARINE (promoted), 34.Connor METCALFE (promoted), 36.Dylan PIERIAS (promoted)

Outs: 2.Ritchie DE LAET (suspended – 1 week), 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD (suspended – 1 week)

Unavailable: 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE (hamstring)

Eugene

Atkinson, LaRocca, Good, Jamieson

Brattan, Baccus

Harrison, Berenguer, Vidosic

Maclaren

Edited by fiji19

4 hours ago, HeartFc said:

3-0 Perth. Hopefully Kilkenny scores and waves goodbye to Joyce. 

Imagine if NK scored a hattie and this loss was the final nail in the coffin. 

Or Perth find some loop hole to register Fornaroli and he scores a bicycle kick in the 95th minute to win 1 nil and he runs and does a knee slide with arms outstretched right in front of Wazza.

42 minutes ago, malloy said:

Imagine if NK scored a hattie and this loss was the final nail in the coffin. 

Or Perth find some loop hole to register Fornaroli and he scores a bicycle kick in the 95th minute to win 1 nil and he runs and does a knee slide with arms outstretched right in front of Wazza.

How fucked is this, we genuinely want our former players to smash us on Sunday. 

#TheJoyceEffect

42 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Should be delayed to 7.50 p.m.

I'm thinking opposite. 

They should make it an 11:15am KO.

Atleast I'll get it out of the way early.

I really don't know why I'm going tomorrow but you never know. 

29 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Haven’t made up my mind.

if I’m lucky I’ll get hit by a car or mugged in the morning or something and my injuries will prevent my attendance 

That's what you used last game.

Edited by Jovan
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Very significant match now. Newcastle have just beaten the 'Tards 2-0 to move within 3 points of us.

I'm wondering whether that puts any more pressure on Wazza's role? Jets look like a club winding up for a late run, coinciding with our collapse in form. Seventh looks more and more likely. But fourth is still possible if we can turn it around. That will need a circuit breaker. 

5 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

4 games without a win now for Victory - maybe they could use a new manager? Warren could head over and try and turn things around for them?

They looked very ordinary. That's the frustration. If we could get our shit together we're not that far off. 

7 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I'm wondering whether that puts any more pressure on Wazza's role? Jets look like a club winding up for a late run, coinciding with our collapse in form. Seventh looks more and more likely. But fourth is still possible if we can turn it around. That will need a circuit breaker. 

I'm sure seventh will mean a departure at the end of his contract. And unless we go on to be Champions or into the ACL, so will fourth, fifth or sixth. 

Edited by jw1739

What is the better outcome? Finish 6-4 and bow out of finals or finish 7th and not make.

To me the latter reflects better our season. Finishing 7th in a league we should be competing will not be acceptable. That may be the spark we need to finally make some proper changes once and for all.

35 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm sure seventh will mean a departure at the end of his contract. And unless we go on to be Champions or into the ACL, so will fourth, fifth or sixth. 

I suppose jw that I was musing on whether that result made any difference to the current security of tenure - that is the chances of imminent departure. This simply because without playing a ball, our position looks even more parlous. Like you, I think he's gone come the end of the season, but I fear the damage that will be done by then, as well as clinging to the hope that we can begin to rebuild a little if he does go. 

1 hour ago, JMSTEP123 said:

What is the better outcome? Finish 6-4 and bow out of finals or finish 7th and not make.

To me the latter reflects better our season. Finishing 7th in a league we should be competing will not be acceptable. That may be the spark we need to finally make some proper changes once and for all.

Joyce gone either way. I think Champions leagues or GF final was the minimum for him this season. 

Having said that, finishing 7th may bring about a swamp drainage and we might see several heads roll. 

• Like 1

been saying all season, as I said last season. The current level of the league is ordinary! Without an influx of international talent, this thing is going to jump the shark. So many games unwatchable.

This victory team isnt great by any stretch - neither Perth. 

With our resources we should have been able to romp in last season and this. Victory won the thing by default - being the least worst last year. This year they might do it again just by being thereabouts.

Of course, we wont be because we have no idea how to build a title competitive squad. None whatsoever - and couldn't appoint a coach to save ourselves. 

11 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I suppose jw that I was musing on whether that result made any difference to the current security of tenure - that is the chances of imminent departure. This simply because without playing a ball, our position looks even more parlous. Like you, I think he's gone come the end of the season, but I fear the damage that will be done by then, as well as clinging to the hope that we can begin to rebuild a little if he does go. 

@fensaddler Yes, I suppose it does. Newcastle could beat Victory 2-0 whereas we couldn't win against 10 men. The trouble is, with every match that goes by it makes less sense to remove him, because the period for any recovery for this season is decreasing. Further it's not as if Bruno can be restored to the team now - if there was any possibility of that with Joyce gone and I'm not sure that there was.

TBH I suspect that the time for an early departure has past. IMO the time to do it was after we failed to beat Adelaide at home on 9th February when there was still a third of the season to go.

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@fensaddler Yes, I suppose it does. Newcastle could beat Victory 2-0 whereas we couldn't win against 10 men. The trouble is, with every match that goes by it makes less sense to remove him, because the period for any recovery for this season is decreasing. Further it's not as if Bruno can be restored to the team now - if there was any possibility of that with Joyce gone and I'm not sure that there was.

TBH I suspect that the time for an early departure has past. IMO the time to do it was after we failed to beat Adelaide at home on 9th February when there was still a third of the season to go.

There is one condition upon which an early termination is now warranted - an abysmal loss, say PG win 3-0, or a bad run of losses eg 3 losses in a row. City will not recover from where it is now and a real possibility that they fall out of the six. So why terminate early? To show some players that they should stick with the club eg Bort, Brattan and to show others that there is a career path for them if they stay at City (McGree) and to admit that management has learnt the lesson of appointing a bad coach.

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yeah I agree.

If their objective was to make ACL, then really our only chance of doing so is if we did what the tards did last year. Looking at the ladder, we'll realistically finish anywhere between 4th and 6th. Victory are woeful but probably too far ahead now in third and whilst a definite chance we can finish 7th, I doubt it as those teams around us are traveling just as bad.

So I doubt they'll risk going through a manager upheaval now, when the probability is we'll still be gambling on a fluke finals series to get in, regardless of the manager. 

The only way I see the change happening now is if our performance today is so insipid, they won't be able to ignore the fan and media backlash any longer. They'll then be gambling on a new manager hopefully taking us on a form run that could lead to that finals miracle.

They're just playing the percentages at the moment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rass said:

Yeah I agree.

If their objective was to make ACL, then really our only chance of doing so is if we did what the tards did last year. Looking at the ladder, we'll realistically finish anywhere between 4th and 6th. Victory are woeful but probably too far ahead now in third and whilst a definite chance we can finish 7th, I doubt it as those teams around us are traveling just as bad.

So I doubt they'll risk going through a manager upheaval now, when the probability is we'll still be gambling on a fluke finals series to get in, regardless of the manager. 

The only way I see the change happening now is if our performance today is so insipid, they won't be able to ignore the fan and media backlash any longer. They'll then be gambling on a new manager hopefully taking us on a form run that could lead to that finals miracle.

They're just playing the percentages at the moment.

Not sure how you can say victory are woeful with the side they have. We'll be lucky to make the finals with the way we're travelling. 

A loss today and now is the time to pull the trigger and get rid of him and hopefully bring in someone from within to hopefully lift the morale around the place and get rid of toxic Joycey. 

2 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

Not sure how you can say victory are woeful with the side they have. We'll be lucky to make the finals with the way we're travelling. 

What is it with the dick pulling over victory's side on here? They're a one trick pony who are starting to now get found out. They were shit against us, shit yesterday and they're supporters are restless too. They were second a few weeks back but are now starting to drop behind Sydney. Frankly, the only way they'll win it this year is if VAR conveniently decides to stop working again that split second half their team decides to stray off-side.

And besides, you say how can they be woeful given their side - well don't we say that about our team? Why can't they be any different? 

16 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

even worse, for the fans at least... 

Depends, doesn't it. MrsJW has just pulled out because it's too hot for her, making me the only one going out of the usual group of 4. Doesn't help when our train line is shut down.

Victory last night could draw only 8,000+ to Geelong. If we get 6,000+ this afternoon IMO we'll be doing well.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Depends, doesn't it. MrsJW has just pulled out because it's too hot for her, making me the only one going out of the usual group of 4. Doesn't help when our train line is shut down.

Victory last night could draw only 8,000+ to Geelong. If we get 6,000+ this afternoon IMO we'll be doing well.

I'm thinking 4k would be an achievement. Everyone going today can well and truly regard themselves as the rusted ons.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Just planning my day ahead - anyone know if kickoff is confirmed or deferred given the predicted heat at 5pm? 

@JMSTEP123 Kick-off is still shown as 5.00 p.m. Doubt they'll change it now.

Radar showing a front moving up the bay around the Geelong area.

• Thanks 1