Melbourne Football

Rd:21 v Perth @ AAMI Sun 5pm 3 March. The Warren Joyce Farewell Game

Dylan

I thought Joyce had a very snappy and short press conference after the game. Of course pulled out the ‘there were a lot of positives’ line. He really did look like he knew his time was up. However that could just be me seeing it through sacked colour glasses

At the risk of making myself thoroughly unpopular, I thought Atkinson had a sound game last night - not perfect (suggestions he didn't close down Castro enough for the equaliser) but he put in a shift, got in some solid tackles, played the simple clearance when necessary, and didn't let too much get past him. He did his job in a makeshift defence against an in form side.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

At the risk of making myself thoroughly unpopular, I thought Atkinson had a sound game last night - not perfect (suggestions he didn't close down Castro enough for the equaliser) but he put in a shift, got in some solid tackles, played the simple clearance when necessary, and didn't let too much get past him. He did his job in a makeshift defence against an in form side.

Strongly agree ! 

Playing in his natural position he was very solid ! 

Makes me wonder if De Laet has been a “wasted” Marquee in the sense of a goal scoring winger would’ve been a better option 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Yes, I agree he was better last night. He sometimes tends to dive in a bit, or take the riskier option(i.e. try and control that high ball that led to him giving a way a corner in the first half when it would have just been a throw in if he left it), but he was definitely more sound.

The way he sat back on Castro was bad though. Probably the most dangerous player in the league and we let him waltz in and take a shot when we were all sitting back? Unforgivable... but the other players around him could have tried to close him down too.

..but I am more concerned with McGree's form. An absolute shell of the player he was earlier in the season and the way he let Chianese stroll past him for that first goal was just awful. Not sure why we aren't talking about that on here. Add that to the 2 errors that cost us the last two goals against the Jets and he is lucky to be on the bench atm i think...

12 hours ago, playmaker said:

Match summary

Winning

Florin off, Harrison off, Brattan off

We fell apart in the middle

Wazza Brought in to:

Improve culture and stability,....... Fail

Solidify defensive structure...... Fail

Improve player resolve when leading..... Fail

Use EPL experience for tactical advantage....Fail

Unify players to create a great team.....Fail

Use youth coaching experience to identify and develop youth to high standard..... Fail

Bring strategy and tactics to win Silverware..Fail

Improve attendances and member satisfaction through ethical, competent and transparent management.... Fail.

Lay down a solid foundation for the team's, club's and membership's future..... Fail

Conclusion

WazzaOut

Drain the swamp

As per any employee of note in any company - the basic standard you want is that the place is a better place when they leave, to what they inherited.

Can Joyce say this?

I think on any metric, on any level pretty much everything is worse, in most cases significantly worse in the time he has been here.

Even if we have technically conceded less goals, I am at no way convinced we are a better defensive unit. He has just shut the game down on all levels. 

32 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Disagree with you elsewhere on Galekovic, but agree with you here. Overall had a very sound match. One of my contenders for MoM.

12 hours ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Then we are better off fighting them where it hurts the most. Surely if our systemic failures are this obvious to fans then they must be palpably obvious to CFG and management. This, ofcourse, begs the question of desire and care. 

My feel is that they are just waiting for an independent A League before they commit anything more to this team. The team can be mediocre if the league is too.

I have read this line of thinking, and I have posted this before. I actually disagree with the notion of desire and care by CFG.

We would have spent more than any other club on players since CFG took over. Heck, bar victory we would have spent the most this season. Case in point - in January we get in a proven league level Australian striker and Tottenham youth player.

You can not say the desire or intent is not there. You just cant. Im sorry. We are not playing kids when we should be. We arent about cashing in youth players at all it seems. If the right one comes, sure, but it isn't our default position.

However - the ability to execute and create the successful team, in this league in this country with these rules just isn't there.

I am pretty much at the point at narrowing this down to horrific ground level staff here - they are being advised, and listening to a bunch of losers here at Heart/City who have NFI on what they are doing, or how to create a champion team. The culture is wrong - and they type of coaches they have worked with to recruit are just wrong.

I was happy with Mclaren - why? Path of least regret. Proven A-league quality striker. Nearly cant stuff it up. Look at Harrison, Tottenham youth product but extremely underwhelming. Another bust!

We need to do this with a CEO and coach. Go and get the best A-league proven ones we can. We just cant rely on internationals coming here as the club doesn't understand the local league at all, at this point.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Can not feel a little devastated with the active support numbers last night. If that doesn’t get the higher ups to have squeaky bums then maybe nothing will. Mind you, it’s easy to ignore something thousands of kms away

I questioned the active bay as well. I looked at the kids at the front making an effort yet from half way and up people just sat and didn't contribute at all. I used to sit in the active bay for a season even though I didn't have active membership. Sat in tere just to make it look more full and contribute. Can't do that these days when you have kids.

1 hour ago, rass said:

Yes, I agree he was better last night. He sometimes tends to dive in a bit, or take the riskier option(i.e. try and control that high ball that led to him giving a way a corner in the first half when it would have just been a throw in if he left it), but he was definitely more sound.

The way he sat back on Castro was bad though. Probably the most dangerous player in the league and we let him waltz in and take a shot when we were all sitting back? Unforgivable... but the other players around him could have tried to close him down too.

..but I am more concerned with McGree's form. An absolute shell of the player he was earlier in the season and the way he let Chianese stroll past him for that first goal was just awful. Not sure why we aren't talking about that on here. Add that to the 2 errors that cost us the last two goals against the Jets and he is lucky to be on the bench atm i think...

I reckon McGree has given up, not motivated and fed up with Joyce. It’s hard for kids to stay professional. Was probably told by Warren he can only compete for a winger spot. After bossing the league for Newy and Adelaide, he is suddenly a spud? Very strange this development.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I thought he was pretty good, I wonder if him knowing that he was playing 90 minutes at right back gave him some confidence . Every other game he gets moved 8 times during the game 

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

Can not feel a little devastated with the active support numbers last night. If that doesn’t get the higher ups to have squeaky bums then maybe nothing will. Mind you, it’s easy to ignore something thousands of kms away

TBH I don't know why people keep singling out "active" for comment. I would have thought that the gaping acres of empty green seats on both sides of the pitch and right across the southern end  - including active - just showed that the number of people who actively support City has declined dramatically. Add to that our poor recent form, the departure of Bruno this week,  a stinking hot day at the end of a 3-day minor heatwave, and seemingly half the bloody rail network shut down (despite the fact that at South Yarra, one of the construction sites for the new line and the reason that the Sandy line was shut, there was no-one at all on the site and all the equipment was idle).

Our little group in section 19 are all former Heart supporters, and the basic reason any of us still go is that we like to watch football and there's no-one else that we could possibly support or even want to watch. The attendance yesterday of 7,746 was bolstered by the free tickets and (estimated) 200-300 Perth supporters. Under the present circumstances surrounding the club you can't really blame people for staying away.

FWIW my take on the match is that in the end we were out on our feet and that the better side snatched a draw out of it. I thought our best players were Good, Jamieson and Atkinson, followed by Maclaren and Harrison, but that after that we didn't have much to offer. No-one in our midfield came close to Kilkenny and Castro for Perth, especially as the match wore on. Very disappointed with Berenguer - confirmed as a failed visa signing for me now - and also McGree and Wales. As always, we didn't seem to have any game-changing players on the bench. Galekovic had three excellent saves and then made a complete hash of both Perth's goals.

Overall a very disappointing result considering that we were 2-0 up with only a few minutes left to play.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We learned some things from a bright 1st half. We can play faster,  actually.  Poor Brattan is usually a culprit on the forum, partly due to his stature. But we have three Top 10 passers in the league  (Bart, Delbridge and Baccus ) who do all passes in our own half. Of course, being tuition by the coach. 

GA sections were nicely filled. Club crowd problem is with old, full season members. They are grumpy as this forum and want more. Joyce should take care of memberships and scrap all of them and us.

The game just confirmed the A-league rule of thumb, marquee defenders are not number one priority. 

Maclaren had two goals from two touches. He's going to be one of the most efficient strikers this season, worldly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

We learned some things from a bright 1st half. We can play faster,  actually.  Poor Brattan is usually a culprit on the forum, partly due to his stature. But we have three Top 10 passers in the league  (Bart, Delbridge and Baccus ) who do all passes in our own half. Of course, being tuition by the coach. 

GA sections were nicely filled. Club crowd problem is with old, full season members. They are grumpy as this forum and want more. Joyce should take care of memberships and scrap all of them and us.

The game just confirmed the A-league rule of thumb, marquee defenders are not number one priority. 

Maclaren had two goals from two touches. He's going to be one of the most efficient strikers this season, worldly. 

I agree we played faster in the first half but unfortunately, it wasn't anything to do with a more attacking mindset from Joyce - but a necessity rather because Bart wasn't there.

Sadly whilst Schenkeveld has probably become our best and most important player, his presence and sheer quality suits Joyce's style perfectly as he becomes the go to person through every passage of play, hence his massive season passing stats. Without him, we were forced to not fuk around with the ball in the back half as much, which lead to quicker movement and more of those attacking/forward longer balls. 

Then with a 2 goal lead and Berenguer and Harrison tiring noticeably (it really looked like those guys had no idea how to combat the heat in the second half), it just re-inforced Joyce's mindset to defend when in front. That second half reminded me of similar ones other teams play against us when they're protecting a result, notably victory last week. Sit deep and let the other team come to you, inviting the pressure but gambling they'll be held out and perhaps just steal one going the other way. Perhaps ok against our static attack which is why the tards got away with it last week.... but Perth are on top of the tree and with Sydney catching, they didn't come over here against a demoralised City to just play for a draw. They came to win and when we invited them to attack us, they had the quality to score. Sure they were dumb goals, but they were goals. We give them a sniff and they took it.

Just so dumb from us. Can't wait to get someone in who will mould us into a team that can score at any time, any where.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

The first half the players had desperation, in the second it was like we had already won. 

Macca is really good for this level, his strike rate so far has been phenomenal. 

3 hours ago, moops said:

The first half the players had desperation, in the second it was like we had already won. 

Macca is really good for this level, his strike rate so far has been phenomenal. 

The first sentence covers it all in my recollection of this game what else did anyone expect, just sitting back not bothering to put the game beyond Perth's reach . Total Crap.