Melbourne Football

Rd:21 v Perth @ AAMI Sun 5pm 3 March. The Warren Joyce Farewell Game

Dylan

God I hope so, but how many times have City disappointed?  After the draw last night I reckon that will get him a stay of execution.

What will actually be useful is to see the level of apathy as this is another free tickets McDonalds thing since the Syd game where we actually got a good crowd (I think). Although if Joyce is shown the door then its kind of irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

God I hope so, but how many times have City disappointed?  After the draw last night I reckon that will get him a stay of execution.

What will actually be useful is to see the level of apathy as this is another free tickets McDonalds thing since the Syd game where we actually got a good crowd (I think). Although if Joyce is shown the door then its kind of irrelevant.

If Joyce goes before the rebuild can begin. Bums on seats may even return.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

The attendance for the Sydney match was 12,086. Sunday at 5.00 p.m. is pretty much the graveyard match, and the forecast temperature for Sunday is 32 degrees, after 38 on the Saturday. I would expect no more than around 6,000.

IMO each week that Joyce remains makes his early departure less likely.

45 minutes ago, Bob Latchford said:

5pm Sunday works for me as I can still get the kids to bed by 8:30pm. 

Not exactly viable for every game of the season to be a 5:30 Saturday KO

It's a shit time in high summer. I pity the poor people who have seats on the eastern side of the ground - they get the full force of the late afternoon sun.

9 minutes ago, Bob Latchford said:

Mate, the FFA can't control the fucking sun hahahaha.

What time slots would you suggest to achieve maximum attendance? 

No, of course they can't. But they can take it into account.

Everyone's different on their preference of match schedules. Personally I prefer Friday or Saturday evening KO around 7.30 p.m. But I know that doesn't suit plenty of others - those who have to travel a significant distance, those who have school-aged children etc. etc.

However, what I do think is that it would be a lot better if the fixture was a regular home and away format - gaps of two and sometimes three weekends between home matches do little to maintain interest in the League, especially in teams preforming poorly. I also think that the matches should be played simultaneously, but I know that will not happen under the present broadcasting agreement.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Everyone's different on their preference of match schedules. Personally I prefer Friday or Saturday evening KO around 7.30 p.m. But I know that doesn't suit plenty of others - those who have to travel a significant distance, those who have school-aged children etc. etc.

However, what I do think is that it would be a lot better if the fixture was a regular home and away format - gaps of two and sometimes three weekends between home matches do little to maintain interest in the League, especially in teams preforming poorly. I also think that the matches should be played simultaneously, but I know that will not happen under the present broadcasting agreement.

But I think his point is that a fixture has to be played on Sunday and if it's not at 5pm, when should it be scheduled?

We are playing in the hottest months remember, so that's potentially a factor in FFA scheduling it later in the day (obviously there are commercial considerations). 

Also, there is no chance of scheduling matches at the same time when we only have 5 matches per round. They have to spread it out. 

• Like 1

Usually the Sunday games are the ones that are best attended for us.

IMO far far forward into the future (if we last that long) and start plans to build a small stadium, I reckon a roof and some futher measures to make the climate inside cooler for players and spectators are going to be V important.

6 minutes ago, Harrison said:

But I think his point is that a fixture has to be played on Sunday and if it's not at 5pm, when should it be scheduled?

We are playing in the hottest months remember, so that's potentially a factor in FFA scheduling it later in the day (obviously there are commercial considerations). 

Also, there is no chance of scheduling matches at the same time when we only have 5 matches per round. They have to spread it out. 

There's no other match on that day is there? KO 7.00 p.m. then.

4 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Usually the Sunday games are the ones that are best attended for us.

IMO far far forward into the future (if we last that long) and start plans to build a small stadium, I reckon a roof and some futher measures to make the climate inside cooler for players and spectators are going to be V important.

Average attendances excluding Derbies:
Friday: 8,132
Saturday: 7,295
Sunday: 7,697

Certainly as the League expands to include more clubs we're going to have to seriously consider everything about when and where matches are played, the length of the season, etc. The climate isn't going away and is unlikely to get cooler whichever side of the fence you're on when debating that subject.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I think under any broadcast agreement they won't run them simultaneously with only 5 games in one round. Often the people that watch the other games are supporters of another team. I know I watch most of the round each week as I'm lucky enough to be free during those times (and want to watch a team actually try and score...) 

Agree on the gaps between fixtures. The January congested shitshow needs to go and have a more traditional home/away/home/away theme to fixtures. I'm pretty sure we even had a game on the same time at the Big Bash Derby? Crazy scheduling. 

I'd love a traditional 3pm Sunday KO but that's just not viable with the weather and playing in the summer months. It'd be uncomfortable as a spectator to sit there in 40 degree heat, let alone play in it. 

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

But that is even more inconvenient for the average punter IMO.

If we're trying to appeal to families and the younger demographic, we need it earlier than 7pm on a weeknight. 

This is spot on. We don't have a clear identity so we have to appeal to families and kids until we finally figure out how we fit Heart principles into the CFG model.

When we are shit any time is inconvenient. 

When (and who knows when that will be) we are flying people will make an effort regardless of the time/day. 

Summer soccer is unique and to watch a game in shorts and thongs and enjoying a mid strength beer is a privilege.

But like everything you can't please everyone. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

There's no other match on that day is there? KO 7.00 p.m. then.

Average attendances excluding Derbies:
Friday: 8,132
Saturday: 7,295
Sunday: 7,697

Certainly as the League expands to include more clubs we're going to have to seriously consider everything about when and where matches are played, the length of the season, etc. The climate isn't going away and is unlikely to get cooler whichever side of the fence you're on when debating that subject.

Don't let the antifa-lefties brainwash you with "Climate Control"

Edited by Tony999