Melbourne Football

The Most Anticipated Derby in Melb Derby History. Sat 23/2 @ Marvel 7:50pm

Dylan

7 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Can anyone see us missing finals? Sadly I can if we keep this up. Tbh though we are miles behind victory, Sydney and Perth so what would be the point of playing finals anyway

Thats it. I guess the point would be semi reaching KPI instead of abject failure. Whatever happens this team under Joyce is not deserving anyway. 

37 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Can anyone see us missing finals? Sadly I can if we keep this up. Tbh though we are miles behind victory, Sydney and Perth so what would be the point of playing finals anyway

It’s a bit like that. 

Theres always the chance of winning it, no matter the finishing position. Victory won it from 4th. We could do the same I suppose. 

We need a manager who can come in and let the team play with freedom and flair. 

If we persist with this boring, conservative, possession-based approach then we won’t get very far. 

16 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Yes, we all feel that way but faq me, let's just give it a rest and see out the rest of the season with Wazza, till he faqs off, and next season start playing some good football.... I hope.

I took my GF to her first game last night - she just asked me who my favourite player was and I couldn't really give her an answer (er... maybe Brattan or Bart who both might be leaving at the end of the season?) or even a good reason for her to get behind the team. It was fucking pitiful. There's always been a thread or two to hang onto even in the darkest moments but I feel like there's just nothing to identify with anymore with this club.

Also she really picked up on Jamison being shit and just yelling at the bench for the entire second half. It was pathetic.

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I don't think we'll miss finals and in all honesty, I could think of much worse scenarios than facing victory in a final.

What wrong with you people. Don't you see what's going to happen this week?

Wazza on the plane back to England,

Kisnorbo taking the manager spot and tells Bruno to put his boots on.

Next week we will demolish Perth 4-0 with

De Laet.    Good.   RoboCop.  Jamo

Griffiths

Brattan.               Florin

Harrison

JMac.         Bruno

We will go undefeated for the rest of the season

And win Silverware.

Come on City.

56 minutes ago, playmaker said:

What wrong with you people. Don't you see what's going to happen this week?

Wazza on the plane back to England,

Kisnorbo taking the manager spot and tells Bruno to put his boots on.

Next week we will demolish Perth 4-0 with

De Laet.    Good.   RoboCop.  Jamo

Griffiths

Brattan.               Florin

Harrison

JMac.         Bruno

We will go undefeated for the rest of the season

And win Silverware.

Come on City.

Da Laet out, Robocop out. Other than that, even if we have a managerial change and a change of fortunes we are relying likely on La Rocca, Atkinson, Jamo and Good to hold back Perth.

I like your positivity though!

6 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Da Laet out, Robocop out. Other than that, even if we have a managerial change and a change of fortunes we are relying likely on La Rocca, Atkinson, Jamo and Good to hold back Perth.

How bad is Delbridge's hamstring injury?

38 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

The point is Harrison JMac and Bruno. The rest will work itself out.

Come on city

7 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I do care who, this group of players deserves a good coach. Paddy isnt ready

I agree. Doubtful we will have anything other than caretaker - anyone new and can go back to the drawing board and work on the fundamentals and get the players feeling positive about football again. Long way to come out of this.

Not sure why I torture myself but this is a snapshot of the crappy decisions we make - IMO.

Jamo has the ball in front of him going forward and has Vido to the left and Riley to his right in support. Looking good.

47243700391_2455ad47b7_k.jpg

Now comes the decision. Pass the ball to who? Vido or Riley? Go Vido into the pocket or Riley running directly into the box?

46329022205_f8a4e86bff_k.jpg

Guess what? Don't worry yourself putting Riley into the box and maybe forcing a penalty if nothing else, go the safe Vido route like we always do?

46329021425_140ed38a5f_k.jpg

Just imagine if that was Mooy with the ball and Bruno was in Riley's position. Just imagine Wazza not in charge!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Guess what? Don't worry yourself putting Riley into the box and maybe forcing a penalty if nothing else, go the safe Vido route like we always do?

But isn't it what Dario does next? As he could also charge into the box and get a penalty or cross/cut back to Riley or shayon back post.. But I am assuming he gets ball turns and sends it back to Jamo 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

Not sure why I torture myself but this is a snapshot of the crappy decisions we make - IMO.

Jamo has the ball in front of him going forward and has Vido to the left and Riley to his right in support. Looking good.

47243700391_2455ad47b7_k.jpg

Now comes the decision. Pass the ball to who? Vido or Riley? Go Vido into the pocket or Riley running directly into the box?

46329022205_f8a4e86bff_k.jpg

46329021425_140ed38a5f_k.jpg

Just imagine if that was Mooy with the ball and Bruno was in Riley's position. Just imagine Wazza not in charge!

IMO what's interesting is that there are 9 MV (incl. the GK) players in the screenshot, and just 5 of ours. Also, all the MV players are looking at one of Jamieson, Vidosic or McGree. Another ball Jamo could have played is to the corner of the 6-yard box for Harrison to run in to.

Of course, once upon a time we did things that were exciting...https://twitter.com/i/status/1100969387614396416

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HughJass said:

But isn't it what Dario does next? As he could also charge into the box and get a penalty or cross/cut back to Riley or shayon back post.. But I am assuming he gets ball turns and sends it back to Jamo 

Agree. It's not the best example actually, from that position, Vidosic was always the best option.

17 minutes ago, rass said:

Agree. It's not the best example actually, from that position, Vidosic was always the best option.

Of course it's all a matter of opinion but mindset is important.

Neither Vidosic or McGree were closely marked at the time Jamo passed the ball. Either player could have constructed an attacking move that's for sure. Vido had two defenders staring right at him. Riley had a clear run into the box with hardly a defender noticing him or sticking close. I would have preferred playing to the feet of an attacker that was running into a dangerous area. This season we have wasted many opportunities passing sideways and backwards when there was a clear opportunity to pass to a player running forward.

22 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Of course it's all a matter of opinion but mindset is important.

Neither Vidosic or McGree were closely marked at the time Jamo passed the ball. Either player could have constructed an attacking move that's for sure. Vido had two defenders staring right at him. Riley had a clear run into the box with hardly a defender noticing him or sticking close. I would have preferred playing to the feet of an attacker that was running into a dangerous area. This season we have wasted many opportunities passing sideways and backwards when there was a clear opportunity to pass to a player running forward.

I agree with you on this one. Vidosic was the safest option to keep possession, but the least attacking option at the same time. And that's why we have a miserable goal tally for the season.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the Vidosic pass, its the % play. However, if you play the Mcgree ball 1 in 5 times you'll not only increase your scoring average but surprise the opposing team, thus making it harder to predict your play. The problem is we never make the McGree pass.

Every team knows what we're about to do because we don't mix it up. 

Edited by HeartFc
  • Like 2

The whole scenario raises a few questions actually.

1. What’d going on with the shape? Why does Jammo have the ball there and Vidosic is wide? Shouldn’t Jammo be looking for an overlapping opportunity?

2. That aside if I’m playing in McGree then I’m making a run to set up a 1-2 to either shoot myself or distract defenders whilst McGree shoots. Our players never seem to make those 1-2 runs and my guess why is that if we lose the ball we won’t then have 8 guys behind it immediately.

3. Despite all that I still don’t mind the Dario ball, but he needs to drive in and cross.

19 hours ago, HeartFc said:

Nothing wrong with the Vidosic pass, its the % play. However, if you play the Mcgree ball 1 in 5 times you'll not only increase your scoring average but surprise the opposing team, thus making it harder to predict your play. The problem is we never make the McGree pass.

Every team knows what we're about to do because we don't mix it up. 

Agree, but it also comes down to how the Vidosic ball is played.

If it is played directly to feet then he doesn't move and the space gets closed down and we recycle. If it gets played in front of Vidosic (almost in line with the side of the penalty box) it forces an attacking move into the box. 

One gripe I have with the A-League and Aussie players is that it never appears that they are looking more than one move ahead in the options they choose and the manner in which the execute the choice.

• Like 2

The correct play was a diagonal ball Infront of Wales at the top of screen then Jmac would have been on the correct side of the defender to receive the cross. The wrong play is to Vidosic because JMac is on the wrong side of the defender and the poor play was to McGree.

These are the type of plays that create space in the box and should be practiced at training.

The next games you watch at any level, look for the centring diagonal that opens up the defence.

This is standard attacking play that creates goals and doesn't care care less about possession and is definitely the play you used against 9 field players.

13 minutes ago, playmaker said:

The correct play was a diagonal ball Infront of Wales at the top of screen then Jmac would have been on the correct side of the defender to receive the cross. The wrong play is to Vidosic because JMac is on the wrong side of the defender and the poor play was to McGree.

These are the type of plays that create space in the box and should be practiced at training.

The next games you watch at any level, look for the centring diagonal that opens up the defence.

This is standard attacking play that creates goals and doesn't care care less about possession and is definitely the play you used against 9 field players.

I hear what you're saying but I see three things wrong with that.

1. He's passing to Wales. Not sure if Wales has the skill set to properly control a ball of that type and then get it to JMac.

2. Given some of his previous crossing, not sure if Jamo has the skill to pinpoint that type of pass through 7 victory players.

3. It should be JMac's responsibility to get into the right position if that Vido ball is played.

I still think that given the space he was in, the Vido ball was the right one. The problem is as I said before, is that given the numerical advantage, we should have had at least Griffiths and Good bombing into the box to make it a contest. They weren't even in the fkn picture. MV had one outlet all night and we decide to drop back in the midfield when we are attacking. Just dumb.

Also, whilst the Vido ball was right, he shouldn't have been there. He needed to be in the box and McGree out there getting the cross in.

That's the way I see it anyway. .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Ball would have either been intercepted or resulted with Wales stuck in the corner with two defenders on him.

Also it is upto JMac to ensure he is on the correct side.  Regardless, the way I see it is that JMac is holding his run waiting for Vidosic to be played in and cut a low cross where JMac's run will be between the two Central Defenders

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rass said:

The problem is as I said before, is that given the numerical advantage, we should have had at least Griffiths and Good bombing into the box to make it a contest. They weren't even in the fkn picture. MV had one outlet all night and we decide to drop back in the midfield when we are attacking. Just dumb.

IMO this is the main point to make. Certainly Griffiths should have been in the frame - probably got a better shot on him than Good.

One incident doesn't matter so much, but we've been doing this all season, time after time after time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malloy said:

Ball would have either been intercepted or resulted with Wales stuck in the corner with two defenders on him.

Also it is upto JMac to ensure he is on the correct side.  Regardless, the way I see it is that JMac is holding his run waiting for Vidosic to be played in and cut a low cross where JMac's run will be between the two Central Defenders

Thats fair but IMO Wales was in the correct position and forward of the defender so had the positional advantage and a 'just beyond far post ball' from a left footer was the correct play.

A ball to Vidosic would mean there were 3 defenders between him and the striker therefore no attack potential.

Wales had a time and space advantage.

Regardless, we really need to do these type of plays to attack the goals. Watch Perth tonight as they are very good at it.