Melbourne Football

Rd. 19 - Fri. 15th February 2019 vs. Newcastle, Away, 7.50 pm.

jw1739

Nine matches to go, all critical now in terms of our final position on the ladder. We've gained just one point out of the past nine. Only one of the next five is at home, and that is against the ladder leaders.

If anything, Newcastle are improving as the season passes. This is going to be a tough one.

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

We simply cannot lose this match. 

That would cut the gap between us to six points and I’d rather not tempt fate. 

We have three tough fixtures after this one (Victory, Perth and Sydney) so we need to generate momentum and not give the Jets a sniff. 

And because all of the above it will be another depressing insipid performance with a brief cameo that the remaining optimistic few would be left wondering only if.

0:1 loss. Goal scored in the 85th minute. 

Edited by Jovan

11 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

if we lose I see us really struggling to make finals

Our usual pattern is:

we look OK until around Xmas

January collapse as soon as it looks like there's a chance of a successful season

once it's assured that we miss 3rd place and a home final, we start playing well

pin dive out of the finals

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI, 2.Ritchie De LAET, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley MCGREE, 9.Shayon HARRISON, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 22.Curtis GOOD, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 29.Jamie MACLAREN

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS (promoted), 15.Kearyn BACCUS (returns from suspension)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: Nil

Edited by Harrison

11 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

As you suggest, just the sort of situation we could lose. I suspect black ops here - Jets trying to spread complacency and confusion in City ranks.  I wouldn't be surprised if half of these miraculously appear on the day.

If true though, it would just about indicate that they've given up on the finals and will concentrate on ACL, especially after their win.

Still, need to see it before I believe.

19 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI, 2.Ritchie De LAET, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley MCGREE, 9.Shayon HARRISON, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 29.Jamie MACLAREN

**two to be omitted**

Outs: nil

Unavailable: Fornaroli

Curtis Good isn't listed but will be available. 

(:

I'd question both Brattan's and M'Gree's availability tbh. Brattan was visibly struggling after getting a fair old corky to his arse towards the end of that game and McGree seems to be quite limited at the moment by his knee, which has probably affected his confidence too.

Probably throw De Laet into that also - seems very much a week to week proposition atm.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the club be cautious with them given the derby the week after.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rass said:

I'd question both Brattan's and M'Gree's availability tbh. Brattan was visibly struggling after getting a fair old corky to his arse towards the end of that game and McGree seems to be quite limited at the moment by his knee, which has probably affected his confidence too.

Probably throw De Laet into that also - seems very much a week to week proposition atm.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the club be cautious with them given the derby the week after.

Just what is the matter with De Laet? 

Is it his knee? He always looks quite proppy on it. 

Amazing to think that he is this good even when he is carrying something. 

2 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Just what is the matter with De Laet? 

Is it his knee? He always looks quite proppy on it. 

Amazing to think that he is this good even when he is carrying something. 

Yeah I believe it is his knee, something he has been struggling with for a while now. May even be lower leg as he looked like he copped a knock there too.

He is unbelievably quick and I think he goes a little too hard early in some matches which then puts him at risk later on, as he's obviously nowhere near 100%.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI, 2.Ritchie De LAET, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley MCGREE, 9.Shayon HARRISON, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 22.Curtis GOOD, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 29.Jamie MACLAREN

**two to be omitted**

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: Nil

Just another standard defensive squad from Joyce. Once again our bench is going to have nobody who can come on and make an impact. 

Edited by jw1739

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Just another standard defensive squad from Joyce. Once again our bench is going to have nobody who can come on and make an impact. 

We have enough potency there to trouble any opponent. 

Brattan/Baccus/Berenguer

Wales/Maclaren/Harrison

I think that’s quite attacking but it depends how our midfield sets up.  I’d sit Baccus behind Brattan and Berenguer or McGree and let them push forward and create chances. 

3 hours ago, Harrison said:

We have enough potency there to trouble any opponent. 

Brattan/Baccus/Berenguer

Wales/Maclaren/Harrison

I think that’s quite attacking but it depends how our midfield sets up.  I’d sit Baccus behind Brattan and Berenguer or McGree and let them push forward and create chances. 

Yes that's you. Old mate always and I mean always plays with 2 holders. 

8 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

I will miss this game.I do not see Joyce changing his 4:2:3:1 at this stage especialy away from home, he has persevered with it playing numerous players out of position. His problem is still a left winger

12.png

I'd be putting Shay on the left. Then it's a case of deciding which of Brattan or McGree plays in the more advanced position. Otherwise I suspect that, injuries allowing, the team pretty much picks itself. 

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

I'd be putting Shay on the left. Then it's a case of deciding which of Brattan or McGree plays in the more advanced position. Otherwise I suspect that, injuries allowing, the team pretty much picks itself. 

I initially would have agreed with you but I get the impression after watching him last week, that Harrison is a more central/inside left player rather than a winger - which is maybe why WJ went with more of a 4-4-2 style.

I think the above looks ok, but need to stress that Brattan cannot be as deep as last week - there must be a proper link between Brattan and the forwards.  

2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

That's the way it looks to me also. Joyce has pretty much decided to go with this lot until the end of the season, and no more of our young players are going to get into the A-League squad unless his hand is forced by injuries and/or suspensions.

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Wales does not deserve a start. Don't know why he keeps selecting him.

At this point in time, I reckon he is only good as a decoy runner. i.e. gallop down a sideline and draw a fullback out wide to create the space for Harrison to slip into.