Melbourne Football

Rd. 18 - Sat. 9th February 2019 vs. Adelaide, AAMI, 7.50 pm.

jw1739

4 minutes ago, neio said:

The alternative was Atkinson and I personally don't want to see Goodwin vs Atkinson, I think most of us know how that will probably endĀ 

You are correct if we were about to defend a 1-0 lead but we werenā€™t. Football is driven out of midfield and La Roccaā€™s appearance was a mistake. Why not put La Rocca in defence and leave the midfield as it is?Ā 

4 minutes ago, Chris p said:

What happened to pierias ? I thought he did well last match

Training is what matters, we know that now but yeah it would have been nice to see him on bench instead of Atkinson.

17 minutes ago, neio said:

The alternative was Atkinson and I personally don't want to see Goodwin vs Atkinson, I think most of us know how that will probably endĀ 

Atkinson could have gone into DM, at least he has played more than 3 games this season and can go forward, he also has experience playing there, compared to none.

Edited by moops

Disappointing result, we needed to win that.

People on here will always be disappointed in our style, but I thought Adelaide weren't much chop either TBF. Their attack looked less threatening than ours TBH.

Very impressed with Harrison, has lovely feet. Pity we didn't get the ball enough to him in the second half, though I believe that will change once Baccus gets back into the side and Brattan can then play more advanced, which I think was our issue tonight - midfield didn't work with Brattan deep and Good in there unfortunately. Really getting let down by Berenguer and McGree sadly looks to have lost some confidence.

Saw some glimpses to believe that Harrison and Maclaren can really work together. That lovely link up in the first half deserved a goal.

Jamo had a good game but where onĀ earth was he when Mileusnic got free for their goal. Dragged Delbo out and left us exposed.

Anyway, actually looking forward to the derby in two weeks. Despite everyone drooling over the tards, they haven't beaten us yet this season so I'm not scared in the slightest of playing them.Ā 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Why did Shay Harrison get a whole game??? Gee I hope it's not part of his loan deal that he has to play. Wouldve liked to have seen Najjar at least. ByĀ the way #JOYCEOUT. How much better is the atmosphere and crowd when we attack and attack and attack. This Joyceball rubbish has to stopĀ 

Surely you're not saying Najjar should get aĀ game over Harrison?

Agree with others on here, Shay looks a good player, one of the best on the pitch tonight. Clear all night that we were overloaded in midfield, resulting from only having Brattan and Flo as starting picks. For me I'd have kept Flo on but taken Good off for McGree, giving us three genuine mids. Bratts could then play six, leaving the others to play further forward. Not ideal for Bratts, but probably the best balance we could muster with two DMs unavailable.Ā 

• Like 1

Just now, rass said:

Surely you're not saying Najjar should get aĀ game over Harrison?

I didnt think much of Harrison, hopefully he'll start to click with the rest of the team soon but I didnt see him much. Will watch the game when I get home and might see a different game, but atĀ the ground i didnt think there was to much to get excited about.Ā 

The problem is the movement up forward and the sideways and back passing, I think we have a title winning team but the manager has beat anything creative out of the side or shipped themĀ on.

I cant wait till Joyce is gone and we can watch some good football again.Ā 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Agree with others on here, Shay looks a good player, one of the best on the pitch tonight. Clear all night that we were overloaded in midfield, resulting from only having Brattan and Flo as starting picks. For me I'd have kept Flo on but taken Good off for McGree, giving us three genuine mids. Bratts could then play six, leaving the others to play further forward. Not ideal for Bratts, but probably the best balance we could muster with two DMs unavailable.Ā 

Exactly plenty of other optionsĀ but instead we brought La Rocca on at 1-1.

The theme of our undoing was 'going out wide'.

We had opportunities to cut through the centre but we failed to see those opportunities and either went back or wide and the momentum was quenched.

Harrison and Jmac were primed on nearly every thrust forward or counter attack yet hardly ever received the ball at their feet or behind.

Biggest offenders were Jamo, Wales, and Brattan.

This has to change going forward as we should be structured to have Florin, Harrison and Jmac as central targets and must drive through the centre

Wazza get this shit sorted immediately.

Ā 

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Exactly plenty of other optionsĀ but instead we brought La Rocca on at 1-1.

And made the decision to do so at 1-0

19 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

I didnt think much of Harrison, hopefully he'll start to click with the rest of the team soon but I didnt see him much. Will watch the game when I get home and might see a different game, but atĀ the ground i didnt think there was to much to get excited about.Ā 

The problem is the movement up forward and the sideways and back passing, I think we have a title winning team but the manager has beat anything creative out of the side or shipped themĀ on.

I thought Harrison kept the ball well and created well when given the ball

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neio said:

Be that as it may, Atkinson was warming up to come on prior to that and the it's La Rocca coming on and Atkinson taking a seat and putting the tracksuit back on. It seemed that the La Rocca move was purely reactive to De Laet having to be substituted.

25 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

It was the close in work in and around the box: clever little flicks and back heels to find a teammate in space for a clear scoring opportunity. A good driver in heavy traffic. Something we've rarely had and that's a great fit for this team, where other forwards don't have to worry so much about creating, just being in the right place and getting on the end of them.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, playmaker said:

The theme of our undoing was 'going out wide'.

We had opportunities to cut through the centre but we failed to see those opportunities and either went back or wide and the momentum was quenched.

Harrison and Jmac were primed on nearly every thrust forward or counter attack yet hardly ever received the ball at their feet or behind.

Biggest offenders were Jamo, Wales, and Brattan.

This has to change going forward as we should be structured to have Florin, Harrison and Jmac as central targets and must drive through the centre

Wazza get this shit sorted immediately.

Ā 

Agree with this. We have the weapons now and the balance needs to be found between going out wide to start an attack and right up the guts.

The team seemed to be saying after the game that it's a pretty new side, we looked quite good, we can't expect miracles in the first game etc. Well, OK, I accept that. But they've got that game under their belt now. It needs to click in game two, because it has been a nightmare 2019 so far.

First step is basically locking up a finals berth next week against the Jets. Then it's 16 points from the final eight games. That's if we plan on making any progress whatsoever from the past 2-3 year (which would be a grand final appearance and/or a spot in Asia). Anything less and Joyce should absolutely be in serious trouble.

With the opportunity to narrow the gap on Sydney and get a jump on Adelaide and Phoenix I thought that we were dismal tonight. The midfield was truly so slow and predictable, far too many sideways and back passes that any possible forward momentum was stifled. But - what's new about that? Particularly disappointed with Brattan and Berenguer - the latter is becoming a failed visa signing for me. Harrison showed some touches, butĀ I didn't see anything to rave about there - early days of course. Maclaren scored but otherwise had zero service. We should have done a lot better with the few shots that we had.

Adelaide are really not a lot better, except that they moved the ball much more fluently than we did, and overall I couldn't describe the matchĀ as anything other than boring.

Very disappointing when there was a lot at stake.

Attendance: 6,569. Pigeon index: Nil. Entertainment index: Low.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

With the opportunity to narrow the gap on Sydney and get a jump on Adelaide and Phoenix I thought that we were dismal tonight. The midfield was truly so slow and predictable, far too many sideways and back passes that any possible forward momentum was stifled. But - what's new about that? Particularly disappointed with Brattan and Berenguer - the latter is becoming a failed visa signing for me. Harrison showed some touches, butĀ I didn't see anything to rave about there - early days of course. Maclaren scored but otherwise had zero service. We should have done a lot better with the few shots that we had.

Adelaide are really not a lot better, except that they moved the ball much more fluently than we did, and overall I couldn't describe the matchĀ as anything other than boring.

Very disappointing when there was a lot at stake.

Attendance: 6,569. Pigeon index: Nil. Entertainment index: Low.

Brattan and Berenguer didn't thrive in midfield because they were overloaded all night. Good, who appeared to be playing a DM role was getting picked off in possession and there wasn't enough support for Bratts and Flo. Flo is a decent player played as a ten, and with two others competently in midfield with him. But with Baccus suspended, Griff injured, McGree seemingly not fit to start, Malik transferred, and the youngsters overseas or not ready, we didn't have enough bodies available in midfield. Of all the bloody ironies...Ā 

• Like 1

A poor game for the (home) spectator and a real retrograde ejaculation for theĀ 'new attacking' City lineup. It was a 6 point game for us, at home. Still, 5th is about our true level under Wazza

Positives:

We didn't lose

we played a real striker, and he scored.

This draw makes it harder for Wazza to keep his job

Ā 

Negatives:

No midfield tonight, we missed Griffiths or Baccus, and so provided poor service to the forwards

Good is a good defender, but not a midfielder

Berenguer

Jamieson, poor crosses (when our whole attacking plan relies on crosses) and poorly positioned for the first goal

Hard to judge Harrison on this performance, but not a 90-minute player

It's hard to see Maclaren doing well in this team structure, we move the ball forward far too slowly, and, for a player that thrives running into space, space is compressed and packed with defenders. We rarely create an attacking overload, and, our attacking play is very predictable - take the ball wide, cross (badly) into the box. We have little variation, rarely attack centrally. All the same problems Bruno faced

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Wazza has certainly won the crowd over now. All 6569 of them tonight

Well, our average League non-derby crowd this season is now 7,000, and even that number is propped up by the 12,086 who watched us lose to Sydney.

We haven't been this low since Season 2011/12.

• Like 1

I think Curtis Good ended up killing us in terms of ball movement (which isn't really his fault as he's not a natural midfielder)Ā - you don't realise the amount of ball that Baccus picks up and shuffles sideways to keep the play moving. Numerous times Bart and Delbridge ended up having to move the ball themselves instead of just passing a square ball and moving it from there.

• Like 3

In hindsight the smart formation would have been.Ā Ā 

Ā Ā Ā  Ā  Ā Ā  Ā  Bart.Ā  Good.Ā  RoboCop

De laetĀ Ā  FlorinĀ Ā Ā  Brattan.Ā Ā  Jamieson

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  Mcgree

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  JMac.Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  Harrison

Therefore playing all players in their natural positions and overloading the centre with only De Laet and Jamieson as the wide options.

This would have forced the ball to go to Harrison's and JMac's feet or play the central through ball.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, playmaker said:

In hindsight the smart formation would have been.Ā Ā 

Ā Ā Ā  Ā  Ā Ā  Ā  Bart.Ā  Good.Ā  RoboCop

De laetĀ Ā  FlorinĀ Ā Ā  Brattan.Ā Ā  Jamieson

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  Mcgree

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  JMac.Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  Harrison

Therefore playing all players in their natural positions and overloading the centre with only De Laet and Jamieson as the wide options.

This would have forced the ball to go to Harrison's and JMac's feet or play the central through ball.

Agree. Even if McGree wasnā€™t fit enough to play 90 minutes. Surely a 3-5-2 like this would be better in terms of players strengths. Good was a spectator for a lot of the game because he was not inĀ his normal position which meant it cost a lot of forward drive or ball recycling Ā 

Needed to then putĀ Wales intoĀ the game for theĀ last 15/20 minutes to run at tired defenders and bring energy. Lachie was on the Left side wide last night, he has a weak left foot so is only options are to cut in or try and dribble around the baseline which he failed at most times.Ā Ā 

The attack was unbalanced all night they had, HarrisonĀ in behind Maclaren, Wales wide on the left which meant Berenguer was narrow on the right and DeLaet still struggling to get up and down the ground.Ā 

Lost it in the tactics for mine, but I thought Harrison looks very promising, the only way they could stop him was by fouling him. The only hope now is to have a big run in the finals.Ā 

And also, why can't this team get these boots right.

Not one Adelaide player slipped on the playing surface last night and ours we're dropping at critical times.

CFG brag about all their investment in 'world best' sports science infrastructure yet the they can't get BASIC stuff right.

It's not hard.

Longer studs or shorter studs.

That's the choice.

Not very scientific is it?

:droy:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JMSTEP123 said:

We know where we are at. Perhaps now we can set a new benchmark instead of persisting with our predictable mediocrity.

We're setting new benchmarks in mediocrity. 5th in a 10 team League is so indicative

30 minutes ago, playmaker said:

And also, why can't this team get these boots right.

Not one Adelaide player slipped on the playing surface last night and ours we're dropping at critical times.

CFG brag about all their investment in 'world best' sports science infrastructure yet the they can't get BASIC stuff right.

It's not hard.

Longer studs or shorter studs.

That's the choice.

Not very scientific is it?

:droy:

It's not like it was our own home ground or anything:wub:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tommykins said:

I think Curtis Good ended up killing us in terms of ball movement (which isn't really his fault as he's not a natural midfielder)Ā - you don't realise the amount of ball that Baccus picks up and shuffles sideways to keep the play moving. Numerous times Bart and Delbridge ended up having to move the ball themselves instead of just passing a square ball and moving it from there.

Shouldā€™ve played MetcalfeĀ 

• Like 2