Melbourne Football

Season's over. We now know where we are at. Start planning for 2019/20 now

Jovan

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

1 point from our last 4 games is pretty bleak. 

No one has had the gumption to start this week's derby thread. It's almost like a work function on the calendar. Your expected to attend but just don't want to think about it. 

Thats it. When I booked these months ago I was so eager. Not its like heading to a funeral.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

I think I must support much worse football teams around the world than a lot of you. This doesn't even rate in terms of miserable seasons.

In comparison I follow Watford and Bristol City who both are having great seasons. Melb City is my love though and although losses in far off places get me down the losses here are far more personal.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

The season targets are being re-adjusted (downwards) :up:

Did I read recently that our squad receive bonuses if we finish in the top six - an article about Bruno I think - he'll get the bonus even though he's been "suspended" for most of the season? IMO there should be no bonuses unless we win silverware or scrape into the ACL through the back-door.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Did I read recently that our squad receive bonuses if we finish in the top six - an article about Bruno I think - he'll get the bonus even though he's been "suspended" for most of the season? IMO there should be no bonuses unless we win silverware or scrape into the ACL through the back-door.

I’m not surprised, that sounds like us - mediocre performance bonus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm surprised the club is stupid enough to set bonuses with a salary cap

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

5 hours ago, haz said:

I'm surprised the club is stupid enough to set bonuses with a salary cap

I suspect it is only Bruno who had bonuses in his contract. You may recall that there was a bit of a gap between what was offered and what was asked when Bruno's contract was being renegotiated. I suspect the bonuses may have been part of a compromise.

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

FWIW, bonuses are pretty much standard practice in business so I wouldn't be surprised if all players were given an incentive to finish in the top 6. Beyond that there could be a bonus for winning silverware and/or qualifying for the ACL. Bruno may also have a bonus clause based on goals scored,.

1 hour ago, mus-28 said:

I'd be surprised if there were bonuses allowed in a salary capped league, unless it was a set amount for every club across the board, it would defeat the purpose of a salary cap if we could offer ridiculous bonuses just for making the top 6.

Bonuses are allowed, but they count towards the salary cap. Hence my earlier comments that it was likely that only Bruno had bonuses in his contract.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, malloy said:

Bonuses are allowed, but they count towards the salary cap. Hence my earlier comments that it was likely that only Bruno had bonuses in his contract.

I think it would be Marquees who you could one really afford to pay bonus` to. Unless they have a small portion of left over money from the cap to distribute at the end of year in renegotiated/rewritten contracts.

1 hour ago, malloy said:

58 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

I think it would be Marquees who you could one really afford to pay bonus` to. Unless they have a small portion of left over money from the cap to distribute at the end of year in renegotiated/rewritten contracts.

Yes, if you don't spend up to the salary cap then the left over could be used as a pool to distribute to the team in the form of individual bonuses. Not saying it happens, I don't have the inside info, but incentives are common practice. However, just keeping your job might be incentive enough for most players :lol:

Edited by HEARTinator

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Get hyped for season 19/20.

Hopefully a season where we truly make a go of it. Bygones be bygones. New era. Bigger crowds. More passion and rivalry. More entertaining. Exciting players and manager we can all get around etc.

One can hope.

Been saying that since day 1 my friend

• 2 weeks later...

Just chatting with some City fans a bit in the know. Without mentioning names - a bit disheartening to hear there is likely to be (again) high turnover of players and, at this stage, no high profile marquee on the cards. Supposedly some 'structural changes' (?) with a new yet underwhelming manager to "rubuild" again.

Hopefully we learn from the awful mistakes that have been learnt. I doubt it. Makes me wonder what the hell the past 2 seasons have been about? Has there been any cultural changes? I know we discuss this in depth all the time. But honestly, best thing to do after a major fuck up is to admit it and demonstrate the desire to get it right.

Unfortunately it is looking like much of the same from City in the short term.

6 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Just chatting with some City fans a bit in the know. Without mentioning names - a bit disheartening to hear there is likely to be (again) high turnover of players and, at this stage, no high profile marquee on the cards. Supposedly some 'structural changes' (?) with a new yet underwhelming manager to "rubuild" again.

Hopefully we learn from the awful mistakes that have been learnt. I doubt it. Makes me wonder what the hell the past 2 seasons have been about? Has there been any cultural changes? I know we discuss this in depth all the time. But honestly, best thing to do after a major fuck up is to admit it and demonstrate the desire to get it right.

Well tbf we are only going to find out if they are underwhelming one the new season starts again.

4 hours ago, JMSTEP123 said:

"Rubuild" - Freudian slip - or deliberate? Either way - brilliant!

Just going through the details:
1. Manager coming to end of contract. Has not (so far) delivered an improvement on last season. Therefore likely not to be retained.

2. Playing squad - players coming out of contract:
Delianov (Scholarship)
Galekovic
D. Pierias (Scholarship) - already signed for WU.
La Rocca
Schenkeveld (visa)
De Laet (visa) - one season loan
Good
McGree - one season loan
Wales
Brattan - one season loan
Vidosic
Najjar (Scholarship)
Harrison  - loan to end of season

Bouzanis and Genreau are due return to the club at the end of their loan to PEC Zwolle - both contracted with us for a further season.

Prima facie I can see no compelling reason to keep Galekovic, La Rocca or Vidosic. I would hope that we would make a big effort to retain Schenkeveld and Good. The future of loan players depends very much on their overseas club, and, as we have already seen, our Scholarship players may be attractive to WU.

Overall I think we can expect between 3 and 7 players on the current list to not be with us next season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

Well i look up this forum just about every day but at the moment it is devoid of any interest except fot the Joyce thread what has happened to you all.

We're like the players - on the defensive, afraid to express ourselves, and trying to find a new club.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I really hope they go after an older manager who is close to retirement  (maybe a big name) and try to sell the idea of one last gig. Sell the lifestyle and that they can have total control to build a legacy that would go beyond just us.

But fat chance of that happening. 

8 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I really hope they go after an older manager who is close to retirement  (maybe a big name) and try to sell the idea of one last gig. Sell the lifestyle and that they can have total control to build a legacy that would go beyond just us.

But fat chance of that happening. 

That would be fine, but I can't see CFG ever letting a manager have "total control" at Melbourne City.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnno cpfc said:

Well i look up this forum just about every day but at the moment it is devoid of any interest except fot the Joyce thread what has happened to you all.

Pretty obvious. Months of disillusionment results in indifference. We want nothing more than to be excited but the club has made that near impossible.

54 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

I'll be there till the end of the season but really considering not renewing my foundation membership if Wazza is still there. What an utter disgrace to even consider this man again. It's like they are on a mission to destroy the club.

It's a real dilemma, isn't it? I've regularly said that I'll stay regardless, but after recent events I'm moving towards your position. If Joyce is not terminated promptly at the end of his current contract I now think that might tip me over the edge. One of my mates has just cancelled his auto-renewal and has joined the "wait-and-see" camp.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

It's a real dilemma, isn't it? I've regularly said that I'll stay regardless, but after recent events I'm moving towards your position. If Joyce is not terminated promptly at the end of his current contract I now think that might tip me over the edge. One of my mates has just cancelled his auto-renewal and has joined the "wait-and-see" camp.

I have 6 members here. I've never walked away from the club but this to me will be the final straw if he's back next season. And I cannot torture my 22 month old at such a young age. The kid will be scarred for life and will grow up hating football.

is the season still going?

I said at the start of the year that I would not attend another game whilst Munn and Joyce are here, and have been true to this word. Havnt attended a game since.

If he is not sacked, not even sure I will accept a re-deployment to youth or a homesick excuse, I will not renew and probably be done with this club on a week by week following mode.

The A-league is pretty much dead to me anyway - should be over by now as winter sports swamp it. But this club makes it all the much harder as well.

I cancelled my Auto renewal. With a 6 person m'ship. Plus 2 others that only got involved because of the kids.

The oldest has gone to dark side. 

The youngest is not interested in soccer much.

The rest are bored.

I'm reluctant to walk, but I can't do another season of Joyceball. 

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1