Melbourne Football

Season's over. We now know where we are at. Start planning for 2019/20 now

Jovan

22 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Don't forget our Maccas initiative earlier in the season that brought in 12k only to play one of the most diabolically bad matches in our history and lose 3-0 to Sydney. That up there with the greatest if not best all time 'shoot yourself in the foot' fuck ups this club has witnessed. 

How could I forgot. The thing is these people will come.

What's that saying.

Cook a burger and they will come.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

IMO we've reached the all-time low in this respect in this current season with the Fornaroli Stand-Off and the bungled PR associated with it.

If this is the all-time low, then we aren’t doing too badly at all.

In mid-December I remember posting that I was at a low ebb with my passion for this club but they worked hard over January. We got results, we signed one of the best strikers this league has seen and now I’m feeling very good about our future. 

Sure, the results have been mixed more recently and the BF issue wasn’t handled well but it’s a process. We’ve made more steps forward than backward since the takeover.

26 minutes ago, Dylan said:

If I were a player under Wazza id be looking at Kilkenny and Bruno to see that the grass is far more greener in another paddock

Definitely for Kilkenny, but  how can you say that about Bruno? he hasn't even joined Perth yet, let alone played a game for them. We have no idea how he will go there or if he will be happy there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rass said:

Definitely for Kilkenny, but  how can you say that about Bruno? he hasn't even joined Perth yet, let alone played a game for them. We have no idea how he will go there or if he will be happy there.

I still hope that the Stand-Off can be resolved and that there's a chance Bruno can remain with City somehow, especially if Joyce 's contract is not renewed.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I still hope that the Stand-Off can be resolved and that there's a chance Bruno can remain with City somehow, especially if Joyce 's contract is not renewed.

Won't be surprised if CFG have shot themselves in the foot due to signing players such as Jamie on back loaded contracts

• Like 1

1 minute ago, haz said:

Won't be surprised if CFG have shot themselves in the foot due to signing players such as Jamie on back loaded contracts

I think we have to work along the lines of the Sydney model - put the bulk of the cap into our starting XI players, and make up the squad with youth and minimum wage players. At the moment we're probably making the mistake of having senior players who don't contribute much at all, but who will be on higher than the minimum wage. Such as La Rocca and Vidosic and one or two more. If you do this you can get players like, say Schenkeveld, to remain with the club even though they are not actually marquees.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Put the bulk of the cap into our starting XI players and make up the squad with youth and minimum wage players.

That's the way I see it.

Essentially, we acquire roughly 14 players that are effective and experienced and then have about six players who fulfil the youth requirement. 

So going off our squad this year, we could cut players like Vidosic, La Rocca, Griffiths, one of our GKs and then have Delianov, Pierias, Metcalfe, and Najjar as senior players to round out the squad. 

But if we do go down that route then we need to nail our foreign and designated players. And that extends to picking the right kind of players that won't break down in addition to managing our players so as to minimise their chances of soft-tissue injuries. The Germano Treatment Centre needs to close. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Harrison said:

That's the way I see it.

Essentially, we acquire roughly 14 players that are effective and experienced and then have about six players who fulfil the youth requirement. 

So going off our squad this year, we could cut players like Vidosic, La Rocca, Griffiths, one of our GKs and then have Delianov, Pierias, Metcalfe, and Najjar as senior players to round out the squad. 

But if we do go down that route then we need to nail our foreign and designated players. And that extends to picking the right kind of players that won't break down in addition to managing our players so as to minimise their chances of soft-tissue injuries. The Germano Treatment Centre needs to close. 

Exactly this.

38 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Every season most come to this conclusion.

It comes down to the coach. We have never had a championship winning coach and until we get one we will always put it back on the list. 

Just get a proper coach.

I don't believe that it's just the Head Coach/Manager. Somehow we have never had the right combination of people in the right positions. Our instability is another problem - the turnover in players and assistant coaches is incredible.

I would like to have the time to analyse where, overall, Melbourne City keeps getting it all wrong. If Perth qualify for the ACL for next season, which I think they will when I look at the table, then given that Wellington cannot qualify for the ACL, we will become the only current A-League club never to have done so. That is for me an incredibly telling statistic.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Every season most come to this conclusion.

It comes down to the coach. We have never had a championship winning coach and until we get one we will always put it back on the list. 

Just get a proper coach.

This is obviously true but discussions regarding the squad are implicitly discussions regarding the coach because he/she has a big say in player recruitment and player retention.

I think WJ's race has been run and we need to replace him but there are other issues worthy of discussion, such as the way we (and competition leaders) build a squad.

But yes, the coach and his/her philosophy and style is imperative to a club's success and WJ does not have the ability to achieve it. It's time to get rid of him and I think we will, unless we win the bloody Championship. 

39 minutes ago, Harrison said:

This is obviously true but discussions regarding the squad are implicitly discussions regarding the coach because he/she has a big say in player recruitment and player retention.

I think WJ's race has been run and we need to replace him but there are other issues worthy of discussion, such as the way we (and competition leaders) build a squad.

But yes, the coach and his/her philosophy and style is imperative to a club's success and WJ does not have the ability to achieve it. It's time to get rid of him and I think we will, unless we win the bloody Championship. 

If by some miracle we do win the GF would WJ warrant an extension to his contract?

I agree with this and its assessment of CFG's reason for investing in Australia.

https://footballtoday.news/features/a-league-mid-season-report-card

Melbourne City

• Record: P:14 W: 7 D: 3 L: 4
  • Ladder: 4th
  • GRADE: C

Melbourne City remains such a frustrating part of the A-League if only because one feels it should be achieving so much more.

Recruitment for the season was once again understated but would prove to be underdone when it became apparent that a serious breakdown in communication had occurred between coach Warren Joyce and star striker Bruno Fornaroli.

Without perhaps the A-League's most potent hit-man, City's record is commendable if unremarkable.

It's clear that the role of Melbourne City in the greater scheme of the City Football Group is to get access to some of Australia's best talents and play a leading role in developing them for profit. This isn't a bad thing for the future of Australian football, but it's hardly anything for the club's waning fan base – which remains hungry for success – to get overly excited about.  [my highlighting of the text]

Perhaps that's a part of the reason why the club's active supporter base retired mid-season.

City will probably go deep in finals once again, but no one should expect too many fireworks unless the issue of Fornaroli is resolved quickly.

One of the spreadsheets I have is what I call the "Cumulative A-League Ladder", which aggregates the ordinary season results starting with Season 2012/13 (when Western Sydney joined the League) to the end of last season 2017/18, for the current 10 A-League clubs. At the end of this season I will add in the results for it.

Fortunes rise and fall for clubs over the seasons, but the Ladder shows how they have gone in total - an indication of their strength over time.
image.png.f345c5df011c45ec5db1c724622f5016.png

• Like 4

start the rebuild!

How I see us lining up next season:

New Coach - Kurz? Babbel?  

Birra/Bouzanis (good competition there)

Pieras                                 Good/ Visa                       Delbo                                   Jamo

Baccus/ Metcalfe/ Signing

"Quality" Visa AM (our usual hope)      Genreau (Would be awesome to have him back...who knows)

Wales/ Najjarine/ Najjar                                              JMac                                                Visa Signing

Bench: Atkinson, GK, Najjarine, CB, Impact FW/MID

Considering there is a likely chance we will lose Brattan and Bart I think this is what we should be looking for...

• Keep Bart if at all possible - bunch his wages up till he says yes
  • A strong spine of fit top quality players. We are nearly there at the moment, just missing someone behind Jmac to pull the creative strings.
  • A coach that has quality senior team experience as player and manager
  • promote more youth to senior contracts - get rid of aging injured players on the books.  A great balance between exciting youth and experience in our best XI is the only way to get the club image to turn around.  Put an even bigger emphasis not on debuting youth, but starting them.  'Sink' or 'swim' 

Mcgree, Dario, Griffiths, Ritchie, La Rocca, Galekovic out

Bring in additions that will not fill, but strengthen the squad (not more Maliks, Griffiths). 

10 minutes ago, Originalmeme said:

start the rebuild!

Pieras                                 Good/ Visa                       Delbo                                   Jamo

"Quality" Visa AM (our usual hope)      Genreau (Would be awesome to have him back...who knows)

Wales/ Najjarine/ Najjar                                              JMac                                                Visa Signing

Considering there is a likely chance we will lose Brattan and Bart I think this is what we should be looking for...

• A strong spine of fit top quality players. We are nearly there at the moment, just missing someone behind Jmac to pull the creative strings.
  • promote more youth to senior contracts - get rid of aging injured players on the books.  A great balance between exciting youth and experience in our best XI is the only way to get the club image to turn around.  Put an even bigger emphasis not on debuting youth, but starting them.  'Sink' or 'swim' 

Bring in additions that will not fill, but strengthen the squad (not more Maliks, Griffiths). 

McGree out? No way, especially if we're losing Bratts.  One of the best younger prospects in the league.  We're lucky to have him.  In contrast, you can keep Bouzanis. If Galekovic hangs up his boots, I'll be happy with Birra and a young keeper.  Otherwise I'd largely agree. We want a shit hot senior 14/15 (at most, maybe only 11/12) and then a bunch of promising youngsters.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Originalmeme said:

start the rebuild!

Please not Babel......

Kurz is a maybe.......

That's all I care about really, the managers position

Its just a gut feeling but I wish this club would focus every fibre of its effort toward winning the championship and nothing less. We're talking about small percentages but why do I get the impression that the club is not quite 100% committed to the cause for success. It may be the 1 percenters but it's those that make the difference. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, citypool said:

I’d like to keep most of the team I don’t want a large number leaving. 

I totally get the turnover thing, but you pick your time.

You dont keep most of the mid table rubbish team we have right now. We got the squad wrong from the start, adding to the wrong coach and the wrong club leaders (CEO).

If there was ever time for serious change it is now. Use Mclaren as the base to creating a great A-league 11, and much cheaper rest of squad. Dont waste money on players offering nothing. Base wage can cover that.

This IS the time to cut the cr!p and actually get the right people in the right positions. 

Edited by CityHeart
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CityHeart said:

I totally get the turnover thing, but you pick your time.

You dont keep most of the mid table rubbish team we have right now. We got the squad wrong from the start, adding to the wrong coach and the wrong club leaders (CEO).

If there was ever time for serious change it is now. Use Mclaren as the base to creating a great A-league 11, and much cheaper rest of squad. Dont waste money on players offering nothing. Base wage can cover that.

This IS the time to cut the cr!p and actually get the right people in the right positions. 

Would you keep brattan then who’s been pretty solid for a number of years.

9 minutes ago, citypool said:

Would you keep brattan then who’s been pretty solid for a number of years.

LB is possibly the most frustrating member of the squad. For me he is, anyway. Brilliant one match, slow, predictable, and caught in possession the next. He seems also to be prone to put on weight. He's probably an excellent example of a player who if you intend him to be in your starting XI then you sign him, but if he's not then you don't because he commands too high a wage.

IMO it's the manager's position that has to be sorted first, and then sign the players to suit, but that's virtually impossiible due to time restraints - by the time you've sorted the manager all the players he wants have gone somewhere else.

8 hours ago, n i k o said:

Its just a gut feeling but I wish this club would focus every fibre of its effort toward winning the championship and nothing less. We're talking about small percentages but why do I get the impression that the club is not quite 100% committed to the cause for success. It may be the 1 percenters but it's those that make the difference. 

But as @n i k o says,  if the focus isn't quite there then it will all come to naught - whatever we do.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

LB is possibly the most frustrating member of the squad. For me he is, anyway. Brilliant one match, slow, predictable, and caught in possession the next. He seems also to be prone to put on weight. He's probably an excellent example of a player who if you intend him to be in your starting XI then you sign him, but if he's not then you don't because he commands too high a wage.

In my opinion the most frustrating player in our squad is Scott Jamieson. He hasn’t produced anything except for one cross against Victory.

Luke Bratten has given us way more joy than most other players, in goals and brilliant passes - I take that occasionally possesion loss for granted. If every other player in the team would contribute like that we would be a top 2 side. Think about Baccus having shot on goal or Atkinson putting one away.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

In my opinion the most frustrating player in our squad is Scott Jamieson. He hasn’t produced anything except for one cross against Victory.

Luke Bratten has given us way more joy than most other players, in goals and brilliant passes - I take that occasionally possesion loss for granted. If every other player in the team would contribute like that we would be a top 2 side. Think about Baccus having shot on goal or Atkinson putting one away.

Interesting to look at the Forum Player of the Season Leaderboard (up to Round 17).

image.png.d67054aa1a7023bcde016846b919efbd.png