Melbourne Football

Season's over. We now know where we are at. Start planning for 2019/20 now

Jovan

54 minutes ago, n i k o said:

more you're a negative prick

Along with over 90% of the posters on here and with good reason.

However I am very positive about many things that obviously go unnoticed.

Very positive about Bart, RoboCop, Brattan,  Florin is solid even though he gets played out of position, Bacchus, De Laet is high quality, Mcgree is good, and I am over the moon about JMac.

Tbh I am really looking forward to this game.

I think JMac and Harrison will transform our counter attack and bring the wings and mids into the game. Can't wait. Should be exciting.

• Like 4

IMO, Other than the Bruno saga, things aren’t as bad as people are saying.

People have short memories, and if you think things were better as Heart, or even under JVS the second time, then revisit some of the early topics on this forum from that time.

I like it that we are hard to beat, and that we can grind out results, I like it that we perform a hell of a lot better away from home and that we can come back from a goal down . I’m happy that we’re firmly entrenched in the top half of the ladder, I like it that we’re giving good young kids a crack, I hate the Bruno bullshit, but like it that the club have worked around by signing one of the mist promising Aussie strikers going around.

Ive only missed 2 home games since the club came into existence and I can’t help but feel that things will only continue to strengthen

5 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

People have short memories, and if you think things were better as Heart, or even under JVS the second time, then revisit some of the early topics on this forum from that time.

I like it that we are hard to beat, and that we can grind out results, I like it that we perform a hell of a lot better away from home and that we can come back from a goal down . I’m happy that we’re firmly entrenched in the top half of the ladder, I like it that we’re giving good young kids a crack, I hate the Bruno bullshit, but like it that the club have worked around by signing one of the mist promising Aussie strikers going around.

Ive only missed 2 home games since the club came into existence and I can’t help but feel that things will only continue to strengthen

I think people would be a bit more forgiving if the Bruno stuff didn't happen. But because of it the club have allowed for no leeway on minor indiscretions. 

• Like 2

I understand the Bruno thing would be unforgivable for some people ... it’s going to be a stain  on the clubs history for a long time, especially if he becomes an Aussie and does well at Perth. The 1st time he plays against us at home will be very hard for most supporters. I can just see him scoring against us and getting a massive cheer

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, n i k o said:

I'll agree to disagree with that. It's not total disaster as portrayed by playmaker, although I agree with some is his sentiments. 

This year with Western Melbourne coming in wasn't the time to be absolute morons with Bruno crap, moronic team selections, unbalanced squad, not to mention the absolute batshit boring football. Punish Bruno with a ban and move on rather than being foolish. 

I think the total disaster you referred to ain't very far off if they can't get their shit together and go deep into the finals we'll see what exactly the consequences are in the not too distant future. 

7 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

I understand the Bruno thing would be unforgivable for some people ... it’s going to be a stain  on the clubs history for a long time, especially if he becomes an Aussie and does well at Perth. The 1st time he plays against us at home will be very hard for most supporters. I can just see him scoring against us and getting a massive cheer

If the Bruno incident was a one off it would of blown over. It's happened to one too many players in the past not to go down well. 

You're about to see the media (it's just started with Andy Harper) take aim and rightfully so!! 

Just taking off the discussion on the podcast this week in terms of what are we doing...

I actually think the way we are playing is a direct result of Joyce being told, or feels like he has to play as a possession based attacking team and I dont think he is that type of manager.

So he is trying to manage in a way he probably cant and this is the end result.

Outside of defence (which is solid), the ball movement is slow and players in the midfield or attack dont know where to make runs to. So we just dick around with it with no purpose which ultimately  puts alot more pressure on our defence and then you have results like Sydney

26 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Just taking off the discussion on the podcast this week in terms of what are we doing...

I actually think the way we are playing is a direct result of Joyce being told, or feels like he has to play as a possession based attacking team and I dont think he is that type of manager.

So he is trying to manage in a way he probably cant and this is the end result.

Outside of defence (which is solid), the ball movement is slow and players in the midfield or attack dont know where to make runs to. So we just dick around with it with no purpose which ultimately  puts alot more pressure on our defence and then you have results like Sydney

If possession based attacking football is what his told to play why no sign a few more defenders and midfielders during the transfer window and leave your star striker in the stands 🤔

Edited by AntiScum

43 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Harper is a Victory puppet. Although his sentiment is spot on, the timing of his comments is deliberate to undermine our signing of Maclaren and the Tottenham kid ... 

I think his taking a swipe at the club for Bruno's treatment and rightly so. It's more of a you've got him you needed him use him. His still getting paid, his still training, he hasn't killed anyone. I can't wait till he leaves and he comes out with the truth. 

1 hour ago, AntiScum said:

This year with Western Melbourne coming in wasn't the time to be absolute morons with Bruno crap, moronic team selections, unbalanced squad, not to mention the absolute batshit boring football. Punish Bruno with a ban and move on rather than being foolish. 

I think the total disaster you referred to ain't very far off if they can't get their shit together and go deep into the finals we'll see what exactly the consequences are in the not too distant future. 

I didn't say it wasn't a disaster. Just not a total one. In saying that the whole West Melbourne thing isn't as big as people make it out to be. For the following reasons...

1. They might be called Westside Pride which would turn many off 

2. Most importantly they'll be playing out of Geelong for a few years lol

3. We already have our rusted on supporters that won't support them

4. Any new supporters in metro Melbourne that haven't committed to a club yet won't go driving to Geelong for games 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I didn't say it wasn't a disaster. Just not a total one. In saying that the whole West Melbourne thing isn't as big as people make it out to be. For the following reasons...

1. They might be called Westside Pride which would turn many off 

2. Most importantly they'll be playing out of Geelong for a few years lol

3. We already have our rusted on supporters that won't support them

4. Any new supporters in metro Melbourne that haven't committed to a club yet won't go driving to Geelong for games 

Only time will tell Niko. 

The west is the fastest growing corridor in the country which will pick up alot of fans. If I remember right the same thing was said about Western Sydney so it'll be interesting to see what happens 

9 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

IMO you've got your rose-coloured glasses on there.

We are no better than last season. At this stage last season our record was actually slightly better - Won 9, drawn 2 and lost 6, for 29 points - and we were third on the table. So we are showing no significant improvement in results. We are certainly not "entrenched in the top half of the ladder" when we're hanging on to 5th by a point. We've lost to the two bottom sides.

The Fornaroli Stand-off is absurd. It overshadows everything as far as I am concerned. And it's not an isolated case of Joyce freezing out a player. These things are a betrayal of the trust season-ticket holders put into the club. The turnover of players at the club is ridiculous - no-one can build a stable club with this going on.

I don't really care that Andy Harper might be a "Victory stooge." Although I can't stand the man I'd be happy to see Kevin Muscat say exactly the same thing about Bruno's situation. Because it's the truth, and it stinks.

• Like 6

With West Melb entering the league and South East Melb soon to enter, City needs to look at its strategy for the future.  If the 2 new melb clubs get their shit together and have some success in their boutique stadiums, then you can exclude these regions from providing future city fans.  Victory unfortunately are a strong club which will get stronger and will always attract support.  What point of difference does city have?  If anything being a subsidiary and an academy of manchester city is a turn off to many.  At least Heart felt like "our" club.  The point of difference at the time was that Heart was the alternative to Victory.  

I know a few people who have turned away since city took over.  They say it doesn't feel like the club they embraced as their own.  Not only the changing of the name and colors but also the feeling that the club is being used as a means to an end.  Man city trying to find the next talent they can on sell for a profit and CFG spreading their brand over the world.  Football clubs should have a meaningful connection with it's fans where tribalism runs deep, not be a multinational entity looking for profits and global exposure.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

With West Melb entering the league and South East Melb soon to enter, City needs to look at its strategy for the future.  If the 2 new melb clubs get their shit together and have some success in their boutique stadiums, then you can exclude these regions from providing future city fans.  Victory unfortunately are a strong club which will get stronger and will always attract support.  What point of difference does city have?  If anything being a subsidiary and an academy of manchester city is a turn off to many.  At least Heart felt like "our" club.  The point of difference at the time was that Heart was the alternative to Victory.  

I know a few people who have turned away since city took over.  They say it doesn't feel like the club they embraced as their own.  Not only the changing of the name and colors but also the feeling that the club is being used as a means to an end.  Man city trying to find the next talent they can on sell for a profit and CFG spreading their brand over the world.  Football clubs should have a meaningful connection with it's fans where tribalism runs deep, not be a multinational entity looking for profits and global exposure.

I've never quite understood the idea that we were going to attract fans with the Heart moniker - I don't think we've had a season as City where the average attendance was as low as the highest we had with Heart?

33 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO you've got your rose-coloured glasses on there.

We are no better than last season. At this stage last season our record was actually slightly better - Won 9, drawn 2 and lost 6, for 29 points - and we were third on the table. So we are showing no significant improvement in results. We are certainly not "entrenched in the top half of the ladder" when we're hanging on to 5th by a point. We've lost to the two bottom sides.

The Fornaroli Stand-off is absurd. It overshadows everything as far as I am concerned. And it's not an isolated case of Joyce freezing out a player. These things are a betrayal of the trust season-ticket holders put into the club. The turnover of players at the club is ridiculous - no-one can build a stable club with this going on.

I don't really care that Andy Harper might be a "Victory stooge." Although I can't stand the man I'd be happy to see Kevin Muscat say exactly the same thing about Bruno's situation. Because it's the truth, and it stinks.

Pay your membership, sit down, shut up and don't ask any questions!!! 

4 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

I've never quite understood the idea that we were going to attract fans with the Heart moniker - I don't think we've had a season as City where the average attendance was as low as the highest we had with Heart?

Same.

I'm not concerned about the new west team or a future South East as well. Melbourne is a massive city and getting bigger relatively quickly.

Our numbers and support are directly related to what we do as a club and not what any other local rival does.

We have our core of rusted ons, probably 6 to 7k who regardless of circumstances turn up every week. Then we have another group of maybe 3 to 5k are semi regulars that turn up depending on their circumstances and the way the team/club is performing. Then we have a 3rd the casual latent group that come to derbies FFA cup final of maybe 3 to 5k.

These people are all City supporters and will attend if things suit them but I don't think they are going to attend a new start up instead. 

Obviously location will drag some. And maybe some that are completely pissed off will walk, but I can't see it being in the thousands. 

The Club just has to start getting their shit together on and off the field. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AntiScum said:

Only time will tell Niko. 

The west is the fastest growing corridor in the country which will pick up alot of fans. If I remember right the same thing was said about Western Sydney so it'll be interesting to see what happens 

And yet this franchise differs greatly to how Wanderers started out for all the points I put forward in my last post. They're already on the back foot if they go with that name and play out of Geelong for a few years. That's not to mention the fact that if they don't have immediate success in season 1 people won't be arsed to go watch the team play out of Geelong. If they get the team name right and are successful with trophies first season then we have something to worry about. 

2 minutes ago, n i k o said:

And yet this franchise differs greatly to how Wanderers started out for all the points I put forward in my last post. They're already on the back foot if they go with that name and play out of Geelong for a few years. That's not to mention the fact that if they don't have immediate success in season 1 people won't be arsed to go watch the team play out of Geelong. If they get the team name right and are successful with trophies first season then we have something to worry about. 

The name hasn't even been picked yet it's going to be a public vote. 

I'd imagine that they would get alot of things right first up with the people they have on board. 

All the need to do is learn off the continuous mistakes city make and they're half way there. 

What impact it has on city is only a wait and see. 

The location thing is being underestimated it's only 20min from Tarniet and the surrounding area. Geelong is massive and people will jump on board and back what will be their side for 2yrs 

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

Excluding derbies and finals, highest average attendance as Heart was 7,225 in 2013/14.

Lowest as City is actually this current season to date - 7,061. Well down on highest as City which was 9,417 in 2016/17. IMO it is this that should be concerning for the club - that support for it is shrinking rather than growing.

12 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

All that’s true and in a few games for all the comments all we’ve missed results wise is a striker (Like Sunday).

I have a separate problem. It is my considered opinion that at least at some point football should be entertaining. Our current coach sees it as more of a war with no concern or interest in why people watch it. Now if you are going to coach like that you simply have to win the league and we are light years away from doing that.

I find Wazzaball a twisted derivation of the game known as football and essentially unwatchable. The fact that he’s not a man manager’s arsehole only serves to make things worse.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Excluding derbies and finals, highest average attendance as Heart was 7,225 in 2013/14.

Lowest as City is actually this current season to date - 7,061. Well down on highest as City which was 9,417 in 2016/17. IMO it is this that should be concerning for the club - that support for it is shrinking rather than growing.

I think they tinker with the attendance figures tbh. I swear that a few games this season there has been less than 5000.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Probably reflects the decline in attendance and audience for the league. 

Which in itself is strange given that this season's total A-League memberships broke the record set last season.

There are more members than ever but the attendances are falling and the viewers aren't watching. 

6 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Probably reflects the decline in attendance and audience for the league. 

Which in itself is strange given that this season's total A-League memberships broke the record set last season.

There are more members than ever but the attendances are falling and the viewers aren't watching. 

You serve up shit football and that`s bound to happen!!

5 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I think they tinker with the attendance figures tbh. I swear that a few games this season there has been less than 5000.

I think it's telling that the attendance is no longer announced a few minutes before the end of the match.

Another issue is double-headers when the women play first. The total attendance for the day is the one counted, irrespective of the fact that I see with my own eyes as I walk from Richmond Station a few fans leaving after the women's match.

• Like 1

I don't really get the everyone will move to West Melbourne, there are the couple of attention seeking knobs on social media who say at every opportunity they are going to support them, but for the vast majority who pay their hard earned in membership each year will stick. I'm sure as hell not leaving to go support another expansion club who will have some of the same problems we did when starting out. 

15 minutes ago, neio said:

I don't really get the everyone will move to West Melbourne, there are the couple of attention seeking knobs on social media who say at every opportunity they are going to support them, but for the vast majority who pay their hard earned in membership each year will stick. I'm sure as hell not leaving to go support another expansion club who will have some of the same problems we did when starting out

Surely they would have learnt some lessons from the Heart days. And certainly they did with WSW. Also you are suggesting that they will be as inept in selecting coaches.

2 hours ago, neio said:

I don't really get the everyone will move to West Melbourne, there are the couple of attention seeking knobs on social media who say at every opportunity they are going to support them, but for the vast majority who pay their hard earned in membership each year will stick. I'm sure as hell not leaving to go support another expansion club who will have some of the same problems we did when starting out. 

I haven't followed WMG closely, but apart from playing their home matches in Geelong for an absolute minimum of two seasons, where are they going to be based administratively and for training etc.?

IMO Scott Munn's master stroke - and possibly the main reason why he's still CEO - was to set up Heart HQ at Latrobe. OK, perhaps not the best location for some supporters (including me), and facilities were't much to start with, but it has morphed into City Football Academy. And it was somewhere that the club called "home" right from the start.

What's WMG got that people can identify with?

The introduction of Heart into the League did not take away a significant number of members from Victory - indeed Victory has gone ahead in leaps and bounds since we were formed. We might lose a handful to WMG based on where people live, but IMO more derbies and more focus on football in Melbourne will see the game grow rather than shrink. Our support depends on us, not what happens at Tarneit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I haven't followed WMG closely, but apart from playing their home matches in Geelong for an absolute minimum of two seasons, where are they going to be based administratively and for training etc.?

IMO Scott Munn's master stroke - and possibly the main reason why he's still CEO - was to set up Heart HQ at Latrobe. OK, perhaps not the best location for some supporters (including me), and facilities were't much to start with, but it has morphed into City Football Academy. And it was somewhere that the club called "home" right from the start.

What's WMG got that people can identify with?

The introduction of Heart into the League did not take away a significant number of members from Victory - indeed Victory has gone ahead in leaps and bounds since we were formed. We might lose a handful to WMG based on where people live, but IMO more derbies and more focus on football in Melbourne will see the game grow rather than shrink. Our support depends on us, not what happens at Tarneit.

Agree with this. IMO in our specific circumstance, we'll gain more supporters than we lose with the introduction of WMG purely on returning fans coming back to taste the excitement of a new derby etc. Indeed it may be the wake up call/shot in the arm we need to go to the next level. It certainly unfolded that way for the Mongs.

Reality is not that many people are capable of turncoating, hence why we see so many bitter whingers lurk around here rather than piss off completely :tooth:

Edited by bt50

16 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Agree with this. IMO in our specific circumstance, we'll gain more supporters than we lose with the introduction of WMG purely on returning fans coming back to taste the excitement of a new derby etc. Indeed it may be the wake up call/shot in the arm we need to go to the next level. It certainly unfolded that way for the Mongs.

Reality is not that many people are capable of turncoating, hence why we see so many bitter whingers lurk around here rather than piss off completely :tooth:

So much this.

The problem that we as a club have had since inception and carried on after takeover was whenever we had a time when I felt we finally reached a tipping point of progress we fuck it up miserably generally on the pitch but also off.

Our first final away to Perth. 

Those mini runs under JVS and then a pathetic loss.

Bringing in allegedly rated Marquees/visas and they are just spuds, or actually getting decent players but they spend more time injured. 

Bringing Villa and then he walks after a few games.

Winning the FFA cup and then failing in the League 

There are probably heaps more examples. As a club we just need to get more things right more often.

I feel the support is there but the majority are now scared and reluctant to fully commit and most are less quick to get excited. The Club needs now to have a series of successes players/marketing initiatives even infrastructure developments for the general vibe to improve. A few more fuck ups and it's just going to feel more of the same.

A soccer clubs greatest commodity is hope, you give that regularly and you'll succeed.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jovan said:

So much this.

The problem that we as a club have had since inception and carried on after takeover was whenever we had a time when I felt we finally reached a tipping point of progress we fuck it up miserably generally on the pitch but also off.

Bringing in allegedly rated Marquees/visas and they are just spuds, or actually getting decent players but they spend more time injured. 

There are probably heaps more examples. As a club we just need to get more things right more often.

I feel the support is there but the majority are now scared and reluctant to fully commit and most are less quick to get excited. The Club needs now to have a series of successes players/marketing initiatives even infrastructure developments for the general vibe to improve. A few more fuck ups and it's just going to feel more of the same.

A soccer clubs greatest commodity is hope, you give that regularly and you'll succeed.

Absolutely, i actually reckon if we win a title, and back it up with a good off-season, we'll have our supporters flocking back in record numbers.
But not until then, because we've been conditioned to think we'll fuck it up and won't believe its real until we are holding the bloody trophy.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Absolutely, i actually reckon if we win a title, and back it up with a good off-season, we'll have our supporters flocking back in record numbers.
But not until then, because we've been conditioned to think we'll fuck it up and won't believe its real until we are holding the bloody trophy.

I just wonder why our management/owners don't realise this? Or if they do, why they don't act on the realisation?

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I just wonder why our management/owners don't realise this? Or if they do, why they don't act on the realisation?

Tbh i think they're doing their utmost to win the title, outside of spending silly money. They just havent found the right formula yet.
And on the spending silly money thing, we still spend the close to, if not the most out of every club in the league, it just sometimes seems not enough when we dont pay the extra few 100k to get someone the next step up. You can point to the fact that only ourselves, Sydney and Victory having two marquees at the start of the season as a good example of the difference in spending tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

So much this.

Don't forget our Maccas initiative earlier in the season that brought in 12k only to play one of the most diabolically bad matches in our history and lose 3-0 to Sydney. That up there with the greatest if not best all time 'shoot yourself in the foot' fuck ups this club has witnessed. 

Edited by n i k o