Melbourne Football

Welcome Shayon Harrison

rass

I'd give him a chance, he has come from a style in Tottenham that is made to suit players like Kane, Alli and Son (I assume the youth teams play same style) and he has come here to whatever we're trying to do

To me he doesn't look totally comfortable as a 10, as he doesn't seem to have the close control for when there is 2 or 3 players around him. Might sound stupid but he will probably get a better indication over next 3 weeks when we played the better teams cause they won't sit back and clog up all space like jets did 

5 minutes ago, haz said:

I'd give him more time. Probaly not used to playing with lower skilled players (or lower skilled tactics).
I remember dropping down to play a 2nd div match for my club. Was one of the worst games I ever played.

Alternatively I've seen some blokes drop down and they look like they were from another planet. 

I'm still not sure about him and as I've posted heaps of times younger players need time. So far he has been a little bit good and little bit shit.

3 minutes ago, Chris p said:

It's not like mcgree has been setting the world alight 

What exactly does McGree bring to the team that someone such as Denis Genreau doesn't?

Other than Atkinson, who hasn't exactly been a shining star this season, we seem to be ignoring our own youth players.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

UOTYH - he's just a pommy kamau

Was thinking exactly this myself. A less dangerous Kamau.

Looks skilful and like he might do something dangerous at any time... yet just doesn't. 

And absolutely no physical presence. Send him back. Players like this are dime a dozen at this age.

Has done nothing. 

it seems like if you run around a fair bit Joyce loves you.  

• Like 2

He appears to be a largely ineffectual player, he doesn't have any weapons. Vidosic and McGree are far better players.

The signing of Harrison encapsulates 2 of the issues I have with City's recruitment:

1.What is the point of signing visa players who are inferior to the local players already in the squad?

2.What is the point of signing players on short term contracts if they can't make an immediate impact?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

He appears to be a largely ineffectual player, he doesn't have any weapons. Vidosic and McGree are far better players.

The signing of Harrison encapsulates 2 of the issues I have with City's recruitment:

1.What is the point of signing visa players who are inferior to the local players already in the squad?

2.What is the point of signing players on short term contracts if they can't make an immediate impact?

Lol 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

I think he showed fight in a team full of second guessing and handballers of responsibility. He toiled hard lastnight. Took on play and players and tried to make things happen. Yes he may not have had immediate success, nor may have any in the future - but he plays with a positive mindset which is something I want to see more of our players have. I would say McGree has not been great and Vidosic largely hit and miss. 

5 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

I think he showed fight in a team full of second guessing and handballers of responsibility. He toiled hard lastnight. Took on play and players and tried to make things happen. Yes he may not have had immediate success, nor may have any in the future - but he plays with a positive mindset which is something I want to see more of our players have. I would say McGree has not been great and Vidosic largely hit and miss. 

You have to go though all our players one by one and ask what impact they have made this season. Who has made a difference? Who is a definite starting XI player? Who is going to make an impact coming off the bench? Who can turn a match on its head? We've got far too many players who you cannot say a definite "yes" to any of those questions.

Very nice on the ball and plays with intent. It’s refreshing to see. 

However, he lacks end product. This might come but he has to become accustomed to the style of play down here in a very short space of time. That’s a tough ask. 

The bigger issue for him is that he’s almost 22 and hasn’t really made a mark at the senior level anywhere.

This could be his level though. It’s too early to tell. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You have to go though all our players one by one and ask what impact they have made this season. Who has made a difference? Who is a definite starting XI player? Who is going to make an impact coming off the bench? Who can turn a match on its head? We've got far too many players who you cannot say a definite "yes" to any of those questions.

Yep. 

Definite starters - Jmac, Harrison, Bratts, da Laet, Bart & Delbo.

Baccus first few rounds was solid but has been poor. Galeko the same. Jamo ineffective in defence and attack. Griffo has been sloppy but rarely on. Wales did a job but needs a master as he is an apprentice. 

No one stands out as an impact sub. Maybe Vidosic but missed so much game time. McGree has disappointed. 

No one in the team bar Schenks goal has had a "turn the tables" moment nor seem capable of it. No Arzani or Forna talent to pull a trick; no McCormack to deliver from a set piece; no one to be a threat from a corner, or deliver with any potency. No pairings or trios to hit on the counter; no strategies or systems in place for anything other than a lucky pot shot from distance or a defensive slip up and tap in.

We have no versatility. We are adept in one system and it is so overt that teams gift us the possession stats and play to our weakness. We make the same errors over and over. We play the same players in the same roles expecting outcomes beyond their capability. This is conservative football at its finest - a team full of yes men who are not trusted with any flaire or creativity. Routes to goal have been hard and oppositions have set up to exploit our weakness.

Welcome to the largely ineffective recruitment, team dynamics and season of 18-19. COYCB - learn, regroup, move forward. It does not have to be this low. 

19 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Very nice on the ball and plays with intent. It’s refreshing to see. 

However, he lacks end product. This might come but he has to become accustomed to the style of play down here in a very short space of time. That’s a tough ask. 

The bigger issue for him is that he’s almost 22 and hasn’t really made a mark at the senior level anywhere.

This could be his level though. It’s too early to tell. 

Yeh but you know one way you can tell a player has quality? By how many defenders it takes to stop them. Almost every attempt on goal last night he had 2-3 players shutting him down. To me that says a lot of the threat he brings. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 3

Just now, n i k o said:

Yeh but you know one way you can tell a player has quality? By how many defenders it takes to stop them. Almost every attempt on goal last night he had 2-3 players during him down. To me that says a lot of the threat he brings. 

Spot on. Was double/tripled team every time.

2 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Yeh but you know one way you can tell a player has quality? By how many defenders it takes to stop them. Almost every attempt on goal last night he had 2-3 players during him down. To me that says a lot of the threat he brings. 

And that probably accords with him stating that his preferred role is as a second striker. He can draw defenders to open up space for a player like Maclaren. 

Edited by Harrison
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Yeh but you know one way you can tell a player has quality? By how many defenders it takes to stop them. Almost every attempt on goal last night he had 2-3 players shutting him down. To me that says a lot of the threat he brings. 

That is exactly what Fornarolli does but he is now on the outer.

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I think you can partially put that down to no one making any runs forward and drawing defenders away from the ball carrier. But I like the cut of his jib, would rather use a Visa spot on him than Frenchy in our current squad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mus-28 said:

I think you can partially put that down to no one making any runs forward and drawing defenders away from the ball carrier. But I like the cut of his jib, would rather use a Visa spot on him than Frenchy in our current squad.

I know what you mean but I think his skill shouldn't be dismissed in all this. There are other players that also go forward but aren't double or triple teamed because they lack the ability to cause problems that one defender can handle alone. Shay clearly demands respect in his ability to beat opposition players and thereby needs more players to keep him at bay. And even with 3 players on him he still somehow managed to find a way to have a shot on goal. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I think he's got a good head on him and has come out here with the best of intentions. But we need to fill our visa playing list with proven quality players (e.g. De Laet, Bart).

Good luck lad and hope you bag a few for us in the finals.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/harrison-happy-with-stint-but-wants-to-fire-city-further-20190502-p51je7.html

Harrison happy with stint, but wants to fire City further

By Michael Lynch

May 4, 2019 — 9.30pm

His Melbourne City strike partner Jamie Maclaren has labelled him the team's secret finals weapon, but English striker Shay Harrison says that, if City are to get past Adelaide United in Sunday night's A-League elimination final, it will be the whole team, not just he, who must be capable of scoring goals.

Harrison, who has played 10 games for City during his loan spell from English Premier League side Tottenham, believes City have it in them to progress deep into the play-offs. He says that, although finals are something of an alien concept for someone brought up in a traditional soccer market, he fully understands the Australian way of doing things.

''It's different for me, but I am looking forward to it. It's exciting; I have not been a part of it before but I know how much it means to the league to win in finals.

''I like to entertain the crowd as much as I can and be positive on the ball. I think it's really important to take some of the stress off the defence.

''The boys will be looking to me and Jamie to score the goals, but everyone is going to have to play a part.''

He's not unfamiliar with the concept of sudden-death soccer, of course.

''When I made my debut for Spurs it was in the League Cup against Liverpool. That was the only time I played for Spurs, but I played in Cup games when I was out on loan [to Yeovil and Southend] so I know a bit about it.''

Harrison is an unusual loan player in the A-League, one of the few youngsters to come from a current Premier League club.

''The main thing for me was to come here and get an opportunity to play, and I am doing that. And the goals have come at times, but the work is not done.

''It's what I expected. I knew it was a physical league. That was the biggest job for me, making the transition from under-23 football to men's football.

''But the quality has been good. Some of the quality of the players I am playing with, I am really lucky, the likes of Ritchie [de Laet] who has played back home as well.

''As a striker the main things people look at is your goals. That didn't come straight away. I do think my performances were good at times but now the goals are coming and that was the missing part.''

Harrison has netted four in total, including an excellent opener for City in the 5-0 rout of Central Coast last week that helped move them up to fifth. He dribbled round several challenges before sliding the ball in off the far post to give City the lead, following up in the second half to round off a good team move.

His partnership with Socceroo striker Maclaren, who also joined City mid-season, is developing the longer they play together.

''It's coming together and hopefully I can take that forward. As soon as I got off the plane me and Jamie connected off the pitch and, coming in at the same time, that was important. And on the training ground we really developed an understanding and that shows on the pitch.

''It's been a big challenge on and off the pitch. It's a big thing to help me developing into becoming a young man, living away from home and doing everything for myself.

''I think on the pitch I have done really well, and I will look back and say it's been a good experience.''

Harrison is out of contract at Tottenham and will learn whether he will be offered a new deal when he gets back to London.

''I hope I have a future there. The main focus was to come out here, show what I can do, go back to Spurs and kick on from there. If that doesn't happen, so be it.''