Melbourne Football

Western United FC

jw1739

On 25/06/2019 at 4:16 PM, mus-28 said:

Also signed Ivan Vujica from Newcastle. He had a falling out with Merrick and was hardly used this season, he was quite a handy left back the seasons prior. Makes Dylan Pierias' likelyhood of getting minutes even more remote, a loan move to CCM would be a good idea with Miller no longer occupying the RB spot.

I reckon both Pierias and Delianov jumped far too early. There was no need for them to leave, especially with 9 scholarship places available next season, and certainly not before they knew the identity of our next manager.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, MCMLIII said:

Who will have more fans? Melbourne City or Western United?

Lol i reckon WU will seriously struggle to crack 3k regularly against non Vic opposition.

There's zero lure to getting on board there until the stadium is up and going imo.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Lol i reckon WU will seriously struggle to crack 3k regularly against non Vic opposition.

There's zero lure to getting on board there until the stadium is up and going imo.

How they were accepted into the league without a stadium absolutely baffles me.

I'm not against the idea of a team that plays games in both Geelong and the western suburbs but how are you going to engage anyone in Melbourne (you know, the place with all the population) without having the team play there for 2-3 years outside of the derbies.

I like the club's signings so far but off the field has been a debacle so far.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nate said:

How they were accepted into the league without a stadium absolutely baffles me.

I'm not against the idea of a team that plays games in both Geelong and the western suburbs but how are you going to engage anyone in Melbourne (you know, the place with all the population) without having the team play there for 2-3 years outside of the derbies.

I like the club's signings so far but off the field has been a debacle so far.

On the contrary i actually like it because i think the FFA has actually shown some long term vision for once; something they couldnt ever be credited with previously.
They are going to do it incredibly tough for two or three seasons imo, but if they can ride it out theres definitely a potential for them down the track.

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Well if social media data is anything to go by, they will struggle. 

As a comparison, they’ve got roughly 8K Facebook likes whereas Macarthur are over 18K. 

Yeah and we have over 230k fakebook "likes" and look how massive our crowds are... :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yeah and we have over 230k fakebook "likes" and look how massive our crowds are... :rolleyes:

That’s my point. 

Clubs only ‘convert’ a fraction of social media followers into attendees. United are still young but it’s a concern that Macarthur have more than double their Facebook likes at this point.

I wonder how many fans will attend after the initial enthusiasm dies down. 

21 minutes ago, Harrison said:

That’s my point. 

Clubs only ‘convert’ a fraction of social media followers into attendees. United are still young but it’s a concern that Macarthur have more than double their Facebook likes at this point.

I wonder how many fans will attend after the initial enthusiasm dies down. 

I understand the concern/comparisons, and I do feel that they will struggle especially with no proper home ground to play out of. 

Competitive on the field they will be, off field will probably be the opposite. 

20 hours ago, MCMLIII said:

Who will have more fans? Melbourne City or Western United?

I don't care how popular Western United is myself. What should concern us is how we fare this season. Even if the attendances for the last few matches of last season were real - which I strongly doubt - the numbers were very poor. Will fans come back to City, and if they do, how quickly?

Western United have a huge growth corridor which does not rely on taking fans away from City. The projections for the Western region of Melbourne say that it will have a larger population than Adelaide in just over 20 years time and that region does not include Geelong and Ballarat where W United will play for the first 2 seasons. 

This leads me to think that despite their name and generic appeal Melbourne City may at some point need to establish a 12k stadium in a suburb of their choosing, possibly at Bundoora. Play all the big games at AAMI Park and the remainder at an easy to get to venue in a suburb where interest in football is genuine.

7 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Going a step further.

We have 230k likes and average 10k at games.

They have 8k likes so its fair to say they should be hitting averages of 347 every home game. 

Edited by Heartman
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't care how popular Western United is myself. What should concern us is how we fare this season. Even if the attendances for the last few matches of last season were real - which I strongly doubt - the numbers were very poor. Will fans come back to City, and if they do, how quickly?

Exactly.

City has every year distanced itself from MHFC and created stronger symbolism with Man City every year.

Carlton SC were very successful on the field but off the field could never get the support they needed to continue, now how many EPL fans are going to chose a club which is a replica of Man City if they support another UK club which almost all Australian footballs fans do.

Man City are not that well a supported club and also as club even in Manchester, they are a side that has become a dominant side in the EPL purely due to Foreign Money that are heavily disliked by most EPL fans.

For PPL who live in the West and dont support Man City - Its a pretty simple conclusion which side they will follow.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, n i k o said:

Almost makes one envious looking at their kit

Agree. Nice strong colours and design, black shorts and socks - very masculine kit.

But let's face it, the early Heart kits were strong too.

I call what City have now the Matthias Cormann kit - a "girlie man" kit.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Agree. Nice strong colours and design, black shorts and socks - very masculine kit.

But let's face it, the early Heart kits were strong too.

I call what City have now the Matthias Cormann kit - a "girlie man" kit.

I was trying to be funny with the envious/ green kit comment. But doesn't take away that I agree with your comment. 

17 hours ago, Dylan said:

Just over 1000 members so far.

Hopefully their numbers improve once the start playing and hopefully, the people of Geelong and Ballarat get behind the club.

The A-League needs Western United to be a success and I can't wait for our matches against them, hopefully a decent rivalry emerges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nate said:

Hopefully their numbers improve once the start playing and hopefully, the people of Geelong and Ballarat get behind the club.

The A-League needs Western United to be a success and I can't wait for our matches against them, hopefully a decent rivalry emerges.

I was always worried that they never seemed to put in the ground work, after they were given a licence, with the local areas to generate some support.

There was some, I know, but what Team 11 was doing and what WSW did is the template IMO. But in saying all of that, if the stadium gets off the ground they will be fine and would heap a lot of pressure, especially on us, to build their own stations.

Edited by Dylan

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, n i k o said:

East? 

Just journalistic licence. You can't blame them for trying to drum up support, or trying to connect with potential supporters. Overall, IMO the key to their success as a club will be their own stadium, if they actually get one. But irrespective of that, the club that needs to watch what it's doing is City, not in terms of what it does very well indeed, such as City in the Community, but rather what it hasn't done very well so far - that is, connect (reconnect?) with its own fans and then grow its support.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Maybe WU can bring a focal point for people living in Tarneit. Let's hope so.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-09/tarneit-suburb-on-melbourne-fringe-feeling-growing-pains/11537562

Like everything you get what you pay for.

You want access,services and convenience you have to pay extra for it.

Affordability is an absolute joke.