Melbourne Football

Rd. 17 - Sun. 3rd February 2019 vs. Sydney, Kogarah, 5.00 pm.

jw1739

16 minutes ago, Dylan said:

If we get the Jmac deal done ASAP and he gets a few training sessions in and starts, I reckon we will have a good chance

It seems a game of iffs. If JMac arrives. If he has enough time to work within squad and play effectively. If we can produce attacking football as seen in 2nd half against Nix and WSW (Syd obvious different class). If Bratts gets a run (hopefully not pending departure?) and most importantly, and least of my concerns, if Delbo and Bort put in anothet shift and keep us in the game against Syd. Lots of things are needing to come together. I am positive.

1 hour ago, rass said:

Maybe I'm naive or haven't been paying attention, but I just don't understand this talk about Brattan possibly leaving.

Unlikely but he was linked with WSW early on (despite reports being he was too expensive) and then benched for the last game. That is all. Probably a case of overthinking as he has been consistently great for us this season. I hope that continues.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

This game will tell us where we are at.

Pretty sure we have ascertained where we are at now. Not unless the squad gets a revamp will it need to be reevaluated. Seems we are the best of the rest - not Syd, Per or Vic, but better than the rest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

When we are playing against 10 players at least.

Our ladder position is flattering tbh.

Do you think our formation and system needs changing? 

Leaving aside BF, where would you play RDL and who would you play up front?

I’m scratching my head at WJ’s decision making. He seems to be playing almost everyone out of position at times. 

19 minutes ago, playmaker said:

When we are playing against 10 players at least.

Our ladder position is flattering tbh.

I think us and Wellington are pretty equal, if we played 10 times we would win 4 each and draw a couple

And were better than the others, were in our correct spot. It's just the top 3 are much better than us 

2 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Do you think our formation and system needs changing? 

No, we need a striker.

3 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Leaving aside BF, where would you play RDL and who would you play up front?

Unfortunately we can't ignore the BF situation and nor should we as it is a mistake not to put our best team on the pitch. Simple.

5 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I’m scratching my head at WJ’s decision making. He seems to be playing almost everyone out of position at times. 

This is what happens when you try and 'fill in the gaps'. You compromised positions when you try to put a bandaide over others.

For example, RDL playing ST while Atkinson is substandard at RB therefore creating 2 problems instead of one.

Florin at LW instead of CM/CAM while MOH was the quality Visa that should have been there.

Also no natural high quality ST making smart runs and fending off or drawing in defences stops midfield opportunities to create plays and goals therefore results in a disfunctional attacking transition and creativity.

As I have said prior, imagine how we would be playing with RDL, Forin, BF and MOH all having played together in their correct positions for the last 10 games.

Vastly different IMO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, playmaker said:

No, we need a striker.

Unfortunately we can't ignore the BF situation and nor should we as it is a mistake not to put our best team on the pitch. Simple.

This is what happens when you try and 'fill in the gaps'. You compromised positions when you try to put a bandaide over others.

For example, RDL playing ST while Atkinson is substandard at RB therefore creating 2 problems instead of one.

Florin at LW instead of CM/CAM while MOH was the quality Visa that should have been there.

Also no natural high quality ST making smart runs and fending off or drawing in defences stops midfield opportunities to create plays and goals therefore results in a disfunctional attacking transition and creativity.

As I have said prior, imagine how we would be playing with RDL, Forin, BF and MOH all having played together in their correct positions for the last 10 games.

Vastly different IMO.

Thats it.

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Unpopular opinion. If we can’t play Bruno and Dario is injured De Laet is easily the next best choice as striker.

if McLaren or Suarez doesn’t appear we should start him there vs Sydney 

Bort shouldn't be our marquee and now this comment,is everything alright mate?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Unpopular opinion. If we can’t play Bruno and Dario is injured De Laet is easily the next best choice as striker.

if McLaren or Suarez doesn’t appear we should start him there vs Sydney 

Utilitarian approach: best outcome for the most amount of people.

Da Laet was scoring them from RB and is as striker too - probably at roughly the same rate. Atkinson is a liability at RB. Wales forward has been okay. Best to play Da Laet at RB, ascertain clean sheets and go for the 1 nil wins that everyone grumps about. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Da Laet was scoring them from RB and is as striker too - probably at roughly the same rate. Atkinson is a liability at RB. Wales forward has been okay. Best to play Da Laet at RB, ascertain clean sheets and go for the 1 nil wins that everyone grumps about. 

Tend to agree. 

With a proper striker we can revert to something like a 4-3-3 and have RDL at RB but let him push high.

1 minute ago, Harrison said:

If we release him he can walk freely into another A-League team. 

We’d also get nothing for him, despite spending a reported $1.5 million on him this season.

we either play him or we don't,  if he does walk freely into another team then thats our fuck up..at the end of the day I hope we get to the bottom of this and get an explanation of what really happened. 

Just now, Afif Adam said:

we either play him or we don't,  if he does walk freely into another team then thats our fuck up.

Not a fuck-up if we can easily prevent him from doing so. 

This is a competition and we’re not letting him score goals for our competitors. 

I don’t think CFG care if it’s unfair.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Agree:

Either Galekovic or Birighitti in goal. IMO should depend on our intentions for next season (Birighitti and Bouzanis under contract).
Back line; De Laet, Delbridge, Schenkeveld, Jamieson. Pierias to come on when De Laet comes off.
DM: Baccus and Brattan.
AM: Croissant. McGree to come on when Croissant comes off.
Forwards: Wales, Najjar, and Don't Know.

No idea who to play on the LW - seems we've stuffed this position up all season.

Another comment: If, as has been reported, we are struggling to fit a new signing under the salary cap limit with the senior players that we've got now, then we're paying several far too much for what they contribute.

• Like 2

I am not sure finishing top is possible now, and if we dont get a win here I struggle to see how we make the top two. So that leaves a GF win to get into ACL I think.

Only real chance of ACL we have IMO is finishing third and hoping that the GF winners comes from the top two. Im still not convinced that just signing a striker will be the difference, Bruno was isolated all throughout the start of the season. But I guess we can only wait and see.

So last 10 rounds... We face Sydney twice (A+A) and Perth (H) and Victory (A) once.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I am not sure finishing top is possible now, and if we dont get a win here I struggle to see how we make the top two. So that leaves a GF win to get into ACL I think

Another season of deferred dominance. By and large this season has been embarrasing. I hope it is all for something and we can look back and praise it for its necessity. If not, just another season without excuse.

It does shit me CFG look at 10 years plan for dominance. I get in the Premier League to compete will take years of investment and planning, but look what Poppa has achieved in Perth in less than a season. I swear the difference in the HAL is a decent manager, and that does not need long term evolutionary changes but a bit of hunger and drive early on. We could be so far ahead of where we currently are and there seems no need to prolong the inevitable with the backing of CFG. Surely the process can be hastened.

Edited by JMSTEP123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sydney FC v Melbourne City FC

Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah

Kick-Off: 5:00PM (Local) (5:00PM (AEDT))

Referee: Jarred Gillett

Assistant Referee 1: Owen Goldrick

Assistant Referee 2: Greg Taylor

Fourth Official: Adrian Arndt

VAR: Craig Zetter

Sydney FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (gk), 2.Aaron CALVER, 3.Ben WARLAND, 4.Alex WILKINSON, 5. Jop van der LINDEN, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 8.Paulo RETRE, 9.Adam LE FONDRE, 10.Milos NINKOVIC, 11.Daniel DE SILVA, 13.Brandon O’NEILL, 14.Alex BROSQUE (c), 16. Reza GHOOCHANNEJHAD, 18.Jacob TRATT, 20.Alex CISAK (gk), 23.Rhyan GRANT, 24.Cam DEVLIN, 31.Luke IVANOVIC.

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 5.Jop van der LINDEN (return from injury), 14.Alex BROSQUE (return from injury), 16. Reza GHOOCHANNEJHAD (new signing), 18.Jacob TRATT (return from injury), 23.Rhyan GRANT (return from international duty),

Outs: 7.Michael ZULLO (suspended -1 week), 21.Charles LOKOLI-NGOY (not selected), 25. Joel KING (not selected)

Unavailable: 12.Trent BUHAGIAR (ACL – indefinite), 17.Anthony CACERES (calf – 3 weeks), 22.Siem DE JONG (knee – 3 weeks), 19.Chris ZUVELA (knee – indefinite).

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI (gk), 2.Ritchie De LAET, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley MCGREE, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 22.Curtis GOOD, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 30.Moudi NAJJAR

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 10.Dario VIDOSIC (promoted), 22.Curtis GOOD (promoted)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: Nil