Melbourne Football

Rd. 16 - Sat. 26th January 2019 vs. WPX, Westpac Stadium, 5.35 pm.

Harrison

Much improved second half, which wasn’t difficult given the abhorrent first half we dished up. An offside goal was the difference and our defence was terrific. Our CBs in particular were excellent and kept us in the match. 

To me our players look a little confused as to how to play their positions. We’ve obviously got the makeshift striker leading the line but McGree, Berenguer, Wales and even Najjar are being played in roles that aren’t their strongest. 

Hopefully we can find a more stable formation and system when Maclaren comes in. It’ll hopefully allow for a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 where we can control that middle and attacking third and build the play around Maclaren, who can freely score goals. 

• Like 1

Lost to a clear offside goal in the first half where we were flat.

Pretty dominant 2nd half and unlucky not to get a goal. Their keeper was good, but McGree needs to learn to shoot either side of the keeper. Also, Narjarene doesn’t look quite ready, I think Brattan, even out wide, would have been better value.

Najjar needs to play striker when he’s on, he was lost at times playing wide

Edited by Torn Asunder

Need to start playing at the kick off not half time. What I did see of the second half looked a lot more like football than most of our earlier season tripe, which is perhaps a start, though 3 months too late of course.

2 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Didn't he come off early against west sydney?

Can’t remember when he last played 90.

Brattan has played only two full 90s in league matches this season.

The remainder of the season is not going to be easy for us. Partly self-inflicted. We've released three senior players and suspended one, and seen just one replacement - Baccus - who I don't think has been any great shakes in the past few matches. We must have promoted a couple of the youth players to senior contracts to maintain the required minimum of 20 senior players. I don't think you can let senior players go without like replacements and expect to keep winning, because there's not a lot between the top six teams. I think there'll be quite a few matches decided by just little things that one week go our way and next week don't.

5 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I find it sad that people are satisfied with the loss, which typifies the low expectations this club strives for.

And all because we have a incompetent manager, play youth that are substandard, and leave our best players off the pitch.

Another mediocre season all due to our match winning players being ostracized.

1st shot on target at the 60th min.

No creativity up forward, and when shots were taken after 70 mins they were poor shots. Pretend strikers do this not real strikers.

Real strikers convert.

Horrendous performance which just confirms our deficiencies which exist by choice.

Even though we have 4 wins from the last 7 matches of which 2 were playing against 10 men and the other 2 which were hardly convincing, people have to acknowledge that it would have been totally different if we had a quality striker MOH and de Laet in FB position.

Another season down the drain.

Sad really seeing we have/had the players to be well ahead at this stage of the season.

Yep.

I'm not 'satisfied' with tonight's performance, it's very costly to give away ground to two of the teams that we're hoping to be jockeying with for 2nd-5th (especially when we should have at least drawn) but Jesus, I've seen worse losses.

Played pretty well, had no luck, but with all the pressure in the second half, one of those shots had to go in. I will say we definitely should have seen Brattan for a cameo in the second half. The game was tailor made for a moment of brilliance from him. Don't want to pile on Najjar and Najjarine, but in that situation, you bring Brattan on instead of one of them. If we were up 3-0, it's a different story, but you can't be chasing a goal in a critical game and leave it down to two guys with less than ten games between them.

Wait...Joyce left Brattan on the bench and he still had a sub to use? What the fuck...?

The other point I'd like to make from this game: considering how heavily scrutinised players are on here...it's well past time for Riley McGree to pull his finger out. He needed to take that game over for us.

He's had a disappointing season for us as it stands, from my perspective.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

I find it sad that people are satisfied with the loss, which typifies the low expectations this club strives for.

And all because we have a incompetent manager, play youth that are substandard, and leave our best players off the pitch.

No creativity up forward, and when shots were taken after 70 mins they were poor shots. Pretend strikers do this not real strikers.

Real strikers convert.

Horrendous performance which just confirms our deficiencies which exist by choice.

Even though we have 4 wins from the last 7 matches of which 2 were playing against 10 men and the other 2 which were hardly convincing, people have to acknowledge that it would have been totally different if we had a quality striker MOH and de Laet in FB position.

Sad really, seeing that we have/had the players to be well ahead at this stage of the season.

I really don't think anyone here is actually satisfied with that loss or any loss mate.

But I do agree re the attacking comments. For all our intent tonight, it was painfully obvious we lack proper forward craft.

I watched Sydney with interest tonight in their second half. Like us, they dominated the half but came up short. I thought they defended similar to us, but their ability to move the ball quickly and play clever balls out wide and through the middle is so far superior to us. As good as Brattan has been, oh what I'd do to have a player like Ninkovic in our team. Absolute star. This guy can make any striker look good.

It was a very hot day up here (25 days straight over 35 degrees) so I went for a swim in the river. Back in time to watch the game from 60 minutes. I don't believe that we'd had a shot prior to that (according to the commentary).

Positives:

We toiled away, moved the ball forward a little better and a little more directly for once, with luck we should have scored.

It was lovely in the Ovens River

Negatives:

The obvious, we lost, we didn't score

We lost to Nix, who, are likely to finish 4th, leaving us 5th. One pin-dive away elimination final appearance from irrelevance. We are certainly a gulf in ability from third as will be demonstrated next game.

We still don't have a striker that the coach is willing to play, and our youth striker is being used sparingly off the bench when we should be giving him experience.

If we do sign Maclaren, it's unlikely we'll not see Najjar before the 86th minute again. Another wasted season... plus ça change

Edited by belaguttman

13 hours ago, playmaker said:

Real strikers convert.

Sad really, seeing that we have/had the players to be well ahead at this stage of the season.

I don't think any City supporter is "satisfied." Other than that IMO you're spot on. And I remain bewildered by this season. All self-inflicted by an abject failure of senior management of the club (and if necessary, CFG) to resolve what appear to be several man-management issues between Joyce and certain senior players.

If I wasn't seeing it with my own eyes I'd think it was all a TV soap opera about a fictional football club.

• Like 2

The Head of FFA referees has reviewed the last HAL round.

In Wellington the ball bounces off Louis Fenton’s chest. Fenton then moves his hand towards the ball and makes contact with the ball. The referee awards a corner kick believing it has only come off the player’s chest. The VAR checked the incident and recommended a review for a penalty kick for deliberate handball. The referee requested an on-field review. After watching the incident himself, the referee did not believe that the initial decision was a clear and obvious error and he did not change his original decision

The referee’s coaching panel has determined the referee should have accepted the recommendation of the VAR and awarded a penalty kick for deliberate handball because Fenton makes a deliberate action to move his hand towards the ball.

51 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

If they are reviewing anything for our game it should surely be the potential for offside in the build up to their goal. Pictures and my understanding of the laws of the game suggest it should have been an unarguable offside decision. 

Agreed. 

Clear offside and the VAR should’ve caught it.