Melbourne Football

Rd. 15 - Tue. 22nd January 2019 vs. WSW, AAMI Park, 7.50 pm.

jw1739

Here we go again.

A Tuesday night this time. We've only ever played on a Tuesday twice so far, once as Heart (New Year's Day 2013 when we beat Newcastle 2-1) and once as City (27th December 2016 when we drew with Perth 3-3).

That's the trivia over.

Must-win as far as I am concerned. After that we have just 12 more matches, only 5 at home, and 7 away including two trips to Wellington and two to Sydney.

The players have to start being more disciplined as suspensions are on the horizon and they could cost the team points

Delbridge has 6 yellows

Jamieson on 4 yellows

Baccus, McGree, DeLaet and Brattan have 3 yellows

I believe 5 yellows and a player is suspended for 1 game.

In Delbridge's case does he revert to 0 after 5. In some leagues it is 8 or 9 yellows and a 2 match suspension

What is our record low home crowd? Fair chance to be broken this week, terrible time slot and if your 50/50 on going the way we're playing won't bring anyone in

We will probably win cause wsw are very average, and they have their 2 best players out still I believe 

50 minutes ago, neio said:

What is our record low home crowd? Fair chance to be broken this week, terrible time slot and if your 50/50 on going the way we're playing won't bring anyone in

We will probably win cause wsw are very average, and they have their 2 best players out still I believe 

2,754. Wednesday 8th December 2010. Soaking wet day. Lost 0-2 to Newcastle after they had a man sent off in the 8th minute. 

1 minute ago, kingofhearts said:

How come there are so many games in such a short span of time? Who did this fixture ffs

I think it's cause we now have international breaks, so they have to fit 27 games into 23 or so weeks 

And they have tried to schedule the midweek games when kids are on holidays I assume 

1 minute ago, kingofhearts said:

How come there are so many games in such a short span of time? Who did this fixture ffs

I believe that it is because dates are left vacant later in the season for Asian Champions League matches. We have only 3 matches in March- 3rd, 16th and 30th.

We have long gaps between home matches then - 9th February to 3rd March, and 3rd March to 5th April, before three home matches in April.

But why play them now - could have slotted them in earlier in the season when it was cooler.

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI, 2.Ritchie De LAET, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 6.Osama MALIK, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley MCGREE, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 22.Curtis GOOD, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI (returns from injury), 6.Osama MALIK (returns from injury), 10.Dario VIDOSIC (returns from injury)

Outs: 42.James DELIANOV (omitted)

Unavailable: Nil

1 hour ago, bellydrum said:

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI, 2.Ritchie De LAET, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 6.Osama MALIK, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley MCGREE, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 22.Curtis GOOD, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI (returns from injury), 6.Osama MALIK (returns from injury), 10.Dario VIDOSIC (returns from injury)

Outs: 42.James DELIANOV (omitted)

Unavailable: Nil

FMD what a boring defensive squad. After all that's been said about our last match this is what Joyce comes up with.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

FMD what a boring defensive squad. After all that's been said about our last match this is what Joyce comes up with.

Honestly, this game is massive. We just have to win it now. Forget attacking football and lovely goals, we just need to win in any way possible or else all that good work we put in at the end of last year and start of this, will go to waste.

7 minutes ago, rass said:

Honestly, this game is massive. We just have to win it now. Forget attacking football and lovely goals, we just need to win in any way possible or else all that good work we put in at the end of last year and start of this, will go to waste.

Couldn't agree more - we need the points. There's some very tough matches ahead. Even the point that Griffiths threw away for us in Gosford would have been handy when we look at what's to come.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, neio said:

Every week our squad is wrong, Pierias was on bench last game, and now he isn't in squad or listed as an out. And Najjarine should be listed as an In 

It's only a very small thing, that most people don't notice. But it's bloody annoying 

I think people do notice. Probably the PR person puts out the same list each week without consulting the coaching department.

This is a combination of what I think and what I'd like to see

Wazza said DeLaet won't start all 3 games, so I assume he won't start tomorrow

Najjar will probably be on the bench, but I'd like to see him start

My bench would be Birighitti, DeLaet, Pierias, Griffiths and Najjarine 

lineup (4).png

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Yes. 

Me too.

1 minute ago, neio said:

This is a combination of what I think and what I'd like to see

Wazza said DeLaet won't start all 3 games, so I assume he won't start tomorrow

Najjar will probably be on the bench, but I'd like to see him start

My bench would be Birighitti, DeLaet, Pierias, Griffiths and Najjarine 

lineup (4).png

How do you get Najjar a start when he's not even in the squad?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

lol anyone on this forum going tomorrow ?

Yes. And MrsJW. And two mates, both of who we "met" as a result of going to Heart matches. We arrange to catch the same train but at different stations.

It's something else that the club may not understand - friendships made via football.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I'd start Najjarine, he's used to playing with Najjar

I realise we need to rest players but do you think Joyce would be so adventurous as to start those two in a must win game. If we get a 2 goal lead he may sub them on but then again if we get any kind of lead Joyce will park the bus.

In my opinion, he will play what he believes to be his strongest team. 

49 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I'd start Najjarine, he's used to playing with Najjar

I wouldnt. Im not prepared to write the kid off, but he's been given extremely good opportunity in quite a few games now and has shown very little for it. Needs to earn a start now imo.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm just watching the slow transition as we include more and more youth players in the match-day squad.

Is this a choice or a necessity due to injuries and as we are missing a Marquee and visa player. When we are injury free and get in a Marquee and visa players, I do not expect many to be named. But it is always healthy to have your youth have the experience of being in the squad even if they get no game time.

8 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Just to be clear, it didn’t sound like he’d get a start. I think he’ll be lucky to get any minutes to be honest. 

I don't see the point of naming someone on the bench unless you're prepared to put him on the park if the circumstances are right (or demand it). If you name someone but are not prepared to play him you are effectively cutting down the number of substitutes you have by one.

My head is reeling from all this. Caceres, O'Halloran and Bruno all gone or missing. Decent sort of a bench aren't they?