Melbourne Football

Rd. 14 - Sat. 19th January 2019 vs. Perth, AAMI Park, 7.50 pm.

jw1739

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Playing like that I'm not sure that we will make the finals. Have you looked at what lies ahead on the fixture?

I know its a bit grim watching atm JW, and the top 3 is looking more and more distant but thats just silly. We're 12 points clear of 7th and despite our clear inability to score, we're bloody hard to get one past. Who knows we might even have a goal or two in us when we pick up a striker in the next few weeks.

We'll play finals 100%, take it to the bank.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I know its a bit grim watching atm JW, and the top 3 is looking more and more distant but thats just silly. We're 12 points clear of 7th and despite our clear inability to score, we're bloody hard to get one past. Who knows we might even have a goal or two in us when we pick up a striker in the next few weeks.

We'll play finals 100%, take it to the bank.

And then what? Go out in the first week, not make ACL, crowds have dropped to ridiculous levels and we play the most hideous brand of football ever. 

We had an identity that was fun and attacking enjoyable to watch. Apart from sneaking into where the hob knobs sit last night and some kid grabbing the ball from level 2 not much else happened.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

And then what? Go out in the first week, not make ACL, crowds have dropped to ridiculous levels and we play the most hideous brand of football ever. 

We had an identity that was fun and attacking enjoyable to watch. Apart from sneaking into where the hob knobs sit last night and some kid grabbing the ball from level 2 not much else happened.

Well you assumed that was a defence. Last night sucked from a watching point of view, particularly as the game wore on. Subbing a CB on to play midfield when scores were level with 15 to go, when we clearly needed a win pretty much summed up our negative attitude atm and was another nail in the Joyce coffin as far as im concerned.

I'm just as disenfranchised as everyone else, i just think you're better off living in fact and reality rather than hyperbole. Exaggerating our highs and lows won't help people understand the issues in earnest.

• Like 3

The boys were definetly tired and the game plan / subs were set up with that in mind, also considering we’ve got a game on Tuesday (arguably more winnable).

Spoke to Jamo after the game and congratulated him on the team’s effort, as they did put in a shift to grind out a result. He said they wanted to play better, but it’s hard after quick turnaround / travel and playing in the heat. He said it’s important for the players that supporters turn up and support them, as it helps them lift.

Game entertainment aside, I think it was a good effort from the boys, all things considered. We did make some good chances, including some clear cut ones, and if we had tucked away one of those, it might have been a different game (yes, we need to get a recognised striker on the pitch and it’s stupidly frustrating that Bruno watches on).

As defensive as we were, Perth were not much better ... They didn’t boss us and were happy to try and pick us off on the counter. Yes they looked more dangerous when going forward, but other than Castro (he is a dirty, arrogant little fucker) they were quite predictable, and also happy to play it safe.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Well you assumed that was a defence. Last night sucked from a watching point of view, particularly as the game wore on. Subbing a CB on to play midfield when scores were level with 15 to go, when we clearly needed a win pretty much summed up our negative attitude atm and was another nail in the Joyce coffin as far as im concerned.

I'm just as disenfranchised as everyone else, i just think you're better off living in fact and reality rather than hyperbole. Exaggerating our highs and lows won't help people understand the issues in earnest.

In fairness we only had La Rocca or Pierias as our final sub as we had already made our attacking subs prior with Brattan and McGree. But it's not a good look when you're trying to chase the game. 

Edited by n i k o

3 minutes ago, n i k o said:

In fairness we only had La Rocca or Pierias as our final sub as we had already made our attacking subs prior with Brattan and McGree. But it's not a good look when you're trying to chase the game. 

For me Pierias was the obvious choice. Bring RDL off as he was clearly cooked towards the end, or else get Griffiths off for Pierias and play him as a winger. Pierias is extremely attacking for a full back so he may well have been able to get wide and hook a few crosses in with fresh legs. The LaRocca sub is a straight out concession you're happy with a point, which at home and given the table, just isnt good enough.

Had we been 1-0 up then a LaRocca sub makes perfect sense.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

For me Pierias was the obvious choice. Bring RDL off as he was clearly cooked towards the end, or else get Griffiths off for Pierias and play him as a winger. Pierias is extremely attacking for a full back so he may well have been able to get wide and hook a few crosses in with fresh legs. The LaRocca sub is a straight out concession you're happy with a point, which at home and given the table, just isnt good enough.

Had we been 1-0 up then a LaRocca sub makes perfect sense.

Fair enough. I see both as defensive though but Pierias probably has more attacking potential in him. 

Pierias was the choice if Wazza wanted to win the game. But really that wasn't his plan which is fair enough tbh. However Jamison was losing possession all night so a more attacking sub wouldn't have made that much difference to our defence down that left side.

It all comes down to what happens when our mids and wingers get the ball and look for a target, here we see that there is no chemistry between those players offering an assist for a shot on target and a centre forward who is in position to offer that opportunity, hence the player feeding the ball hesitates and back passes.

That was the biggest observable difference between both teams, however PG weren't able to capitalise due to poor finishing instead of, in our case not having a clear opportunity at all.

It is what it is and is acceptable for the game strategy last night, but again illustrates our need for Bruno or another good striker to be in the squad not only for the purpose of scoring goals but also to bring the mids and wingers into the game.

As a side note, that slide tackle from RoboCop on Keogh was world class and saved then game.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Castro (he is a dirty, arrogant little fucker)

Yes he may not be likeable on the pitch but he was head and shoulders the most skilful and smartest on the pitch. I’d have had him as a Mooy replacement in heartbeat.

Arrogance comes from knowing you are better than any other munchkin around you.

Edited by HEARTinator

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Pierias was the choice if Wazza wanted to win the game. But really that wasn't his plan which is fair enough tbh. However Jamison was losing possession all night so a more attacking sub wouldn't have made that much difference to our defence down that left side.

It all comes down to what happens when our mids and wingers get the ball and look for a target, here we see that there is no chemistry between those players offering an assist for a shot on target and a centre forward who is in position to offer that opportunity, hence the player feeding the ball hesitates and back passes.

That was the biggest observable difference between both teams, however PG weren't able to capitalise due to poor finishing instead of, in our case not having a clear opportunity at all.

It is what it is and is acceptable for the game strategy last night, but again illustrates our need for Bruno or another good striker to be in the squad not only for the purpose of scoring goals but also to bring the mids and wingers into the game.

The biggest problem is when we start to go forward, most of the players are defensive players and don't know what to do, passing wise and movement wise, they are not used to it.

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

I think the trouble was that he had to get Griffiths off before the silly bugger would be off on a double yellow anyway. And since we weren't in front, it had to be La Rocca. If Griffiths had not already had a yellow, we perhaps could have made a more attacking sub elsewhere (e.g. Pierias for De Laet).

2 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

I think RDL attacking wise is wasted playing in a wing as it’s his runs from deep that normally allow him to get a cross in or a shot on goal. His lack of pace stops him getting in behind! 

Woah, have to question this... Lack of pace?

Watch him, he's actually very, very quick...

Edited by rass
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

The boys were definetly tired and the game plan / subs were set up with that in mind, also considering we’ve got a game on Tuesday (arguably more winnable).

Spoke to Jamo after the game and congratulated him on the team’s effort, as they did put in a shift to grind out a result. He said they wanted to play better, but it’s hard after quick turnaround / travel and playing in the heat. He said it’s important for the players that supporters turn up and support them, as it helps them lift.

Game entertainment aside, I think it was a good effort from the boys, all things considered. We did make some good chances, including some clear cut ones, and if we had tucked away one of those, it might have been a different game (yes, we need to get a recognised striker on the pitch and it’s stupidly frustrating that Bruno watches on).

As defensive as we were, Perth were not much better ... They didn’t boss us and were happy to try and pick us off on the counter. Yes they looked more dangerous when going forward, but other than Castro (he is a dirty, arrogant little fucker) they were quite predictable, and also happy to play it safe.

The boys were tired?? They are supposed to be professional soccer players. Other players around the world play 40-50 games a season. Playing twice a week is not unusual for a month at a time. Also other teams in the league have the same schedule. So let's  not start to look for excuses. We are supposed to be one of the fittest teams in the league under Joyce and he has his sport scientists around him. 

His big problem is the size and quality of his squad. He is a marquee and visa player short and because of this he now does not have any attacking options as the only options available to are to use defensive players or youth in attacking positions.

Edited by Inchcolm

17 hours ago, fensaddler said:

We were the first team to prevent Glory scoring this season. 

By boring them to death 💤 

10 minutes ago, moops said:

Pheonix leading the tards 3-1, means we drop down to 5th.

Hope our useless leader is watching. Nix playing entertaining football looking to actually score 🙄

5 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

Yes he may not be likeable on the pitch but he was head and shoulders the most skilful and smartest on the pitch. I’d have had him as a Mooy replacement in heartbeat.

Arrogance comes from knowing you are better than any other munchkin around you.

Too entertaining for City 😂

1 hour ago, rass said:

Probably a perception thing as he doesn't look quick. Also his fitness might make him look slow too.

Make no mistake though, when he sprints; he's quick.

Someone say fitness? 🤔 Wonder if he was South American 🙄

35 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

The boys were tired?? They are supposed to be professional soccer players. Other players around the world play 40-50 games a season. Playing twice a week is not unusual for a month at a time. Also other teams in the league have the same schedule. So let's  not start to look for excuses. We are supposed to be one of the fittest teams in the league under Joyce and he has his sport scientists around him. 

His big problem is the size and quality of his squad. He is a marquee and visa player short and and because of this now does not have any attacking options as the options available to are to use defensive players or youth in attacking positions.

Wazza’s classic run them into the ground mid week/skinfolds paying dividends 😬

Edited by AntiScum

2 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Inchcolm, it’s fair to say mid week games in Oz are not really comparable to Europe based on the distance teams have to travel, and also given we play in summer.

May I suggest you attend the next home game and have a crack at Jammo over this ... I’m just passing on what he said  :ph34r:

Agree, training and playing in temperatures over 35 degrees is very different from a European winter

6 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Inchcolm, it’s fair to say mid week games in Oz are not really comparable to Europe based on the distance teams have to travel, and also given we play in summer.

May I suggest you attend the next home game and have a crack at Jammo over this ... I’m just passing on what he said  :ph34r:

Can you ask him why players who have completed a season of 40 - 50 games. Go off to world cups in places such as USA, Mexico etc and the next in Bahrain where compete twice a week for over a month in similar temp conditions. 

Look at Brazil, the number of teams in their league and the distance they have to travel.

I am saying if the management and the players are professional they overcome the difficulties put in front of them, not use them as an excuse.

8 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

That's fair enough,but  if we include Tuesday's match coming up, five of those will have been at home, and two away. Travel not that important in the recent matches I would say. Also, every other team has had a crowded January so far.

I maintain that no-one should be doing more than light training at this stage of a season and in mid-summer to boot. Except perhaps Wellington with their cooler home climate. If Joyce has been pushing the boys on the track then he's been a fool to do so.

The other thing I'd like to say is that by persisting with no central striker, or a makeshift one at best, Joyce is making it hard for all the other players. It's as if we have a gaping hole in our forward line, and that's cutting down the moving and passing options for all the other players. That certainly wouldn't be helping the younger players such as Atkinson, Wales and McGree.

5 minutes ago, moops said:

Tards saved our skins, still in 4th.

Watched it. It was an entertaining match lots of attacking play, goals etc. Night and day compared to our dull defensive game at home. Wellington had only one thing in their game plan and it was not to go away from home and play for a draw.

46 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

Watched it. It was an entertaining match lots of attacking play, goals etc. Night and day compared to our dull defensive game at home. Wellington had only one thing in their game plan and it was not to go away from home and play for a draw.

Wazza is the Australian Mourinho, but without the entertainment value or the ability. It's just about a structured defence based game, and he also antagonised the creative players like Pogba

Edited by belaguttman

51 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

Attacking yes, but from what I saw, defensively they were both pathetic.

JvS football. Pretty sure majority of this forum weren't too happy with him by the end.

• Like 2

Just now, rass said:

JvS football. Pretty sure majority of this forum weren't too happy with him by the end.

In my opinion it is about striking a balance between attack and defence. Too much defence and you finish up with boring football (Joyce). Too much attacking and you leave yourself exposed to the counter attack.

As someone  mentioned Arsenal won with defensive football. Their fans had a chant "1v0 to the Arsenal" but this was not all defensive football they had attacking players who scored the goal not hoping for wonder strike out side the box or a set piece.

Can Joyce find the correct balance I doubt it. Therefore he has opted for the safe option of defensive football with very little attacking football. He loves possession therefore play back or sideways because if we have the ball they cannot score. But has forgotten we need to score.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rass said:

No. In a way, nothing has changed apart from a diminished entertainment factor: we've gone from attacking with abandon to dour defensive football, both very unbalaced. The mistake we make here is in seeing the choices as dichotomous, it isn't a choice between defence and no attack, or attack and no defence, nor between building for future success and being successful now, we need balance. other franchises can do it, so should we. What is really wearing thin is the 'it'll just take time, just another season' line.

16 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

Can you ask him why players who have completed a season of 40 - 50 games. Go off to world cups in places such as USA, Mexico etc and the next in Bahrain where compete twice a week for over a month in similar temp conditions. 

Look at Brazil, the number of teams in their league and the distance they have to travel.

I am saying if the management and the players are professional they overcome the difficulties put in front of them, not use them as an excuse.

Alright, I'll take your question to Jamo and tell him that Micky O'Halloran' old man wants to know ...

:up:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

Lmao Bruno having the time of his life at training , wtf is reallyyyy going on huh

Hopefully wazza pulling his head in after no other experienced striker wanting a bar of the club in this transfer window and allowing the best striker in the A-league to play so our team can score some goals.

• Like 1