Melbourne Football

Rd. 14 - Sat. 19th January 2019 vs. Perth, AAMI Park, 7.50 pm.

jw1739

A relatively good performance from us, I was expecting a 0-4 pasting. We were never, ever going to score

Positives:

we didn't lose

Catenaccio reinvented

We did start with 2 attacking players

Jamieson narrowly avoided going into the Joyce bad books after he nearly accidentally scored

Defensively well organised

Atkinson was finally taken off

I've recorded the game as a non-medication alternative to temazepam

Negatives:

CFG team sets up for a scoreless draw at home with 9 defenders. Shameful.

Offered nothing going forward. Nothing. Zero. Nada. Zilch. Zero. Negative. Nil.

No creativity whatsoever, minimal players committed to any attack, no attacking overloads created, no shots on target for the match

Joyce will be pleased

The worst negative is that this performance was way better than what I expected

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

In this part of the world when a supporter pays to watch his team, he hopes for or expects two outcomes; to see his team win and to be entertained. If his team does not win but he is entertained that compensates for the loss of points. Should his team win and he is not entertained, he generally goes home satisfied with the knowledge his team has 3 more points. But when his team does not win and he is not entertained then he has a duty to express his disconnect at the club manager and players.

This is especially true when playing at home where going for a win should be demanded by the supporters

Edited by Inchcolm
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, neio said:

My highlights of the night include

Berenguer getting hit with the ball in the warm up

DeLaet winning a corner 

The beautiful passing sequence that went from our corner flag to Galekovic 

The game changing sub of Larocca on for Griffiths

The final whistle

I would add the booing Wazza got from supporters when he appeared on the big screen :up: 

• Like 1

Dreadful match to watch. Strategy seemed to be to frustrate Perth for about 88 minutes and then try to score in the final 5 minutes. To that extent I'd say we delivered what Joyce wanted. TBH, I didn't think Perth were much better, other than they did move the ball forward with speed and intent, and Castro was impressive.

Galekovic did what he needed to do, but his distribution is awful. Our back line is our best feature. Atkinson poor again, Jamieson not much better, but IMO Good, Schenkeveld and Delbridge were excellent.

Our midfield was shit all night - slow and predictable. We take ten passes to cover the same ground as Perth did in two. Griffiths is a red card liability, Brattan was invisible after he came on, and Baccus was fucking awful. Perhaps, Mr. Baccus, you'd like a reminder that when you have a clear sight of goal you might try a shot?

La Rocca and McGree were invisible substitutes.

No fluidity up front at all. Berenguer is OK, but what a waste of a visa place - can't see he does anything that Genreau couldn't.

I enjoyed the result though - at least we didn't lose - and it was a cheerful little group who made the trip home on the train. But FMD, where are Joyce and CFG taking this club - our club? We can't win silverware this way, and we're not even going to produce young talent this way either.

Attendance: 6,055 (I think they included the ball-boys). Pigeon index: Low.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My take on this. We concede very few, but don't score many more. Perth, however, given the chance, score for fun. They've had some goal fests of the 4-3 variety. They've often engaged in "we'll score more than you" pissing contests with the opposition and come out on top. Had we played their game, we'd have lost. So logically, out tactics were to prevent them scoring. If we scored, it was going to be a bonus. A wet blanket strategy. 

The question remains why we find ourselves so poor offensively that this is our only logical approach to this match. More frustrating, Perth are top of the league, and on the evidence of their games with us, they're not much to speak of. Imagine what we would be able to do to them with some attacking threat, and how the league might look if that were the case? We're not that far off being a really good side. But just far enough to have to endure turgid shite like that. 

• Like 2

I must be so used to watching the dullest football on earth this team has produced prior to this game that I thought it wasn't too bad, considering it was a 0-0 game. And seeing as we had 9 defensive players on the pitch it didn't drain the little joy I have left like I thought it would. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I noticed a few times that our main attacking approach was to punt it up to wales who was often alone in the attacking half

Fantastic tactic when the Perth cb’s are all 6 foot which also brings the point what’s the point of going wide and trying to cross in when there’s no one to challenge 

7 hours ago, fensaddler said:

The question remains why we find ourselves so poor offensively that this is our only logical approach to this match.

The answer surely is that our recruiting this season has left us without a recognised striker so that Wazza’s key coaching tactic is to grind out results - which means that we’re just as likely to be in contention to play a very boring game but not concede. But no matter, Wazza will feel vindicated that a point against the top side is a good result.

Let’s not forget that Popovic was with out Ikonomidis - thankfully.

I don’t think that Wazza or Popovic will be concerned at all about the snooze fest we saw last night - each earned a point and that’s what mattered. Felt sorrow for the mascots who valiantly tried to keep animated and enthused but eventually even they succumbed to the soporific game on display.

We'll look back at this game at the end of the season and think why? Why the fuck didn't we let Perth win. No doubt Victory will probably win the league on goal difference from Perth and they'll be able to look back at this being 2 points dropped.

All I've got left is hoping anyone but Victory win Silverware, because we're a disgrace to football.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, n i k o said:

I must be so used to watching the dullest football on earth this team has produced prior to this game that I thought it wasn't too bad, considering it was a 0-0 game. And seeing as we had 9 defensive players on the pitch it didn't drain the little joy I have left like I thought it would. 

I kind of agree with this. I thought it was an intriguing game for a while. The half time sub of Brattan for Atkinson gave me hope and for a while there I thought we looked like we might score.

The frustrating thing for me though is that we were playing the top team at home so we should have been serving it up to them and trying to prove that we do belong in the premiership conversations. But instead the game just petered out. Watching the defence open for Baccus to shoot with a minute to go and then just running sideways and losing the ball, WTF??? I just want this massive attacking/creativity problem sorted out because it's hurting us. Maclaren or not, we need another experienced creative player (see Castro) at least and of course, a whole new attacking philosophy (looking at you WJ).

On the other hand, I'm not sure how much fatigue played in it either, but the CCM game looked like a real drainer and hence why some of our blokes looked really cooked by the end of last night - especially with all these games in heat being played.

In the end, we played OK for what we have, but ultimately you have to say that it was played on Perth's terms and they probably got what they wanted out of it, which wasn't a loss.

32 minutes ago, rass said:

I kind of agree with this. I thought it was an intriguing game for a while. The half time sub of Brattan for Atkinson gave me hope and for a while there I thought we looked like we might score.

The frustrating thing for me though is that we were playing the top team at home so we should have been serving it up to them and trying to prove that we do belong in the premiership conversations. But instead the game just petered out. Watching the defence open for Baccus to shoot with a minute to go and then just running sideways and losing the ball, WTF??? I just want this massive attacking/creativity problem sorted out because it's hurting us. Maclaren or not, we need another experienced creative player (see Castro) at least and of course, a whole new attacking philosophy (looking at you WJ).

On the other hand, I'm not sure how much fatigue played in it either, but the CCM game looked like a real drainer and hence why some of our blokes looked really cooked by the end of last night - especially with all these games in heat being played.

In the end, we played OK for what we have, but ultimately you have to say that it was played on Perth's terms and they probably got what they wanted out of it, which wasn't a loss.

Completely agree.

In a 1off game I am all for playing for 1 point and probably this will be a valuable point come the end of the season. This point could mean a home final.

But to play at home with such a clear attitude to me is just wrong and is everything that shits me about pragmatic tactics. I want to watch us at least try to score. Our only realistic chance was from a corner. 

Come finals time we are gonners.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Habitual said:

At least George Graham's bat shit boring style he won the league twice and 5 other trophies including European glory!

Oh and he at least tried to score 1 goal.

No wonder nobody turns up to watch this shit style of anti football.

Don't forget he had a couple decent forwards Alan Smith and Paul Merson.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

I noticed a few times that our main attacking approach was to punt it up to wales who was often alone in the attacking half

Not only alone, but that in the next phase of play there'd be only one other player committed to the attack, everyone else was positioned for the inevitable ball turnover and defensive transition

9 hours ago, fensaddler said:

My take on this. We concede very few, but don't score many more. Perth, however, given the chance, score for fun. They've had some goal fests of the 4-3 variety. They've often engaged in "we'll score more than you" pissing contests with the opposition and come out on top. Had we played their game, we'd have lost. So logically, out tactics were to prevent them scoring. If we scored, it was going to be a bonus. A wet blanket strategy. 

The question remains why we find ourselves so poor offensively that this is our only logical approach to this match. More frustrating, Perth are top of the league, and on the evidence of their games with us, they're not much to speak of. Imagine what we would be able to do to them with some attacking threat, and how the league might look if that were the case? We're not that far off being a really good side. But just far enough to have to endure turgid shite like that. 

The next question is that, given we are likely to make the finals, but, in a position where every team that we play will be higher up the ladder than us, how do we expect to win a single game? Playing for a 0-0 result won't win us anything in the finals, apart from a shot at a penalty shootout.

1 minute ago, belaguttman said:

The next question is that, given we are likely to make the finals, but, in a position where every team that we play will be higher up the ladder than us, how do we expect to win a single game? Playing for a 0-0 result won't win us anything in the finals, apart from a shot at a penalty shootout.

Playing like that I'm not sure that we will make the finals. Have you looked at what lies ahead on the fixture?

13 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Not only alone, but that in the next phase of play there'd be only one other player committed to the attack, everyone else was positioned for the inevitable ball turnover and defensive transition

This is what does my head in about Jamo especially atm. 

10 minutes ago, rass said:

This is what does my head in about Jamo especially atm. 

I always see Jamieson as one of our weakest links going forward - he lacks basic skill in ball control and especially passing & crossing (one successful cross in 2 seasons) but he works hard at training so it’s fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1