Melbourne Football

Rd. 14 - Sat. 19th January 2019 vs. Perth, AAMI Park, 7.50 pm.

jw1739

Here we go again.

FWIW, here is the listed squad.

Melbourne City FC squad: 2.Ritchie De LAET, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 6.Osama MALIK, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley MCGREE, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 22.Curtis GOOD, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 34.Connor METCALFE, 40.James DELIANOV  **two to be omitted**

Ins: 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE (return from suspension), 10.Dario VIDOSIC (promoted)
Outs: Nil
Unavailable: Nil

Have to get Atkinson out of the starting 11 hrs been woeful. 

Eugene

Delbridge - Bart - Good - Jamo 

Baccus - Brattan 

Wales            Frenchy.         Najjarine

Richie 

Expect Richie to stay up front (would rather someone else but who ) 

1 hour ago, rass said:

As I just posted in other thread, Metcalfe and maybe Malik (not long enough to get over what looked like a pretty sever corky).

I would recommend giving Atkinson the rest. He has been very poor and as others have said on the players thread, he will be well out of his depth against PG. It might serve to remind him to lift his standard. complacency has set in IMO due to the fact that he always makes squads regardless of how he performs. Tough love required from Joyce.

Najjar has an important YL game on the W/E so will not be in the 1st team against PG. I think Vidocic up front Wales on the right, giving Florin another week to settle in. Najjarine should be dropped and Metcalfe on the bench as he can play more positions giving us greater depth.  Florin is the preference as the winger sub for mine simply due to his vast experience. I thought he looked good against CCM in the short time he had. 

1 hour ago, citymad said:

I would recommend giving Atkinson the rest. He has been very poor and as others have said on the players thread, he will be well out of his depth against PG. It might serve to remind him to lift his standard. complacency has set in IMO due to the fact that he always makes squads regardless of how he performs. Tough love required from Joyce.

That is precisely the way to describe Wazza.

Warren Joyce sees the return of Harrison Delbridge to the side as the defender returns from his one-match ban for the accumulation of yellow cards. Dario Vidosic also joins him in the 18-man squad with the attacker still touch and go with the hip injury that has kept him out of the previous three matches.

City’s medical staff will give Osama Malik the maximum time to prove his fitness for Saturday with the defender picking up a corked thigh against the Mariners. Mark Birighitti will also be given until 90 minutes before kick-off for the match with his back injury in the warm-up against Brisbane keeping him out of the midweek clash in Gosford.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/team-news-citys-round-14-squad-0

7 hours ago, neio said:

This is what I'd probably like to see, with the bench being Delianov, Good, Vidosic, Najjarine and Najjar

Gone back to what I think is our best back 4, and Berenguer gets a start after his 20 minutes Wednesday night 

lineup (3).png

I agree with this team as I believe he will field his strongest defensive team and that means DeLaet at full back. The only choice he has to make is Berenguer fit enough to start, if not start with Vidosic. Then hope Perth have an off day

• Like 1

There are two formations I'd like to see and I think they both suit our personnel and the strengths of our players.

4-3-3

Galekovic

De Laet/Schenkeveld/Delbridge/Jamieson

Baccus/Griffiths/Brattan

Wales/Berenguer/McGree

Instead of a typical 4-3-3 I'd use Berenguer as a false 9, which would then allow for Wales to drift centrally into the space vacated by Berenguer. It'd allow Berenguer to use his vision and give him more freedom in the space where he is most dangerous. 

4-2-3-1

Galekovic

De Laet/Schenkeveld/Delbridge/Jamieson

Baccus/Griffiths

Brattan/Berenguer/McGree

Wales

This would suit us pretty well, as the double pivot gives enough protection to our defence but should enable us to control that middle third against Perth. Again, Berenguer would be able to dictate play but having McGree and Brattan alongside him would give us more creativity around the box. 

Given our last game against them away, the midfield battle doesn't worry me too much with Perth. Playing away, I think they'll be looking to break quickly though i am not sure how effectively they can do this without Iconomidis.

I'm not saying they won't be hard to beat, but I do believe they are gettable - especially if we can mentally (and physically) put behind us that drainer in Gosford on Wednesday.

5 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Correction.

1-4 as we are only capable of scoring once.

OK, that's within my margin of error prediction. Popa's sides are very structured, I just don't see us as having enough ball speed, player movement nor creativity in the front third to trouble them by disrupting that structure

Edited by belaguttman

59 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

OK, that's within my margin of error prediction. Popa's sides are very structured, I just don't see us as having enough ball speed, player movement nor creativity in the front third to trouble them by disrupting that structure

He he he

We have to score that 1 goal so wazza can say, 'we had moments when we were driving the game'

:D

I reckon Perth will try and boss us, and they will be dangerous right across the pitch, in attack and on the counter. 

We did alright against them away, and I recall we approached that game with high intensity.

Fot us to win we’ll have to be at our best,. Griffiths will be fired up against his old team, so hopefully he controls himself and doesn’t give up another pen, or red card. 

Cooler weather suits our style, so if Brattan can get on top in centre of the park, and Frenchy can deliver some quality up forward, if we can score first and not too early we’ll be a chance.

Only way I can foreseeably see us winning:

HUGEEN, Delbo, Bart absolute masterclass with a huge 10/10 shifts each.

Break Perth down in midfield. No brain fades by whoever ends up there.

Atkinson on bench.

By the luck of the gods we keep them scoreless and luck our way with a 1-0 win.

Ill be there - always am! Come on City

• Like 1