Melbourne Football

Rd. 13 - Wed. 16th January 2019 vs. Central Coast, Gosford, 7.50 pm.

jw1739

Actually, the A-League seems to have its "rounds" mixed up and technically this is Round 12 and the Brisbane match was Round 13. But no matter.

Central Coast led Wellington 2-0 at HT today but went down 3-2 in the end. They look to be another fast-breaking team that could trouble us even with their poor record.

We could have a few injury problems, and Delbridge is suspended.

Thoughts?

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

I think we need to be cautious. We're away. We look to have some injuries. We have no genuine striker. And CCM gave Wellington a good working over before losing a man and copping a couple of penalties. We'll need to be right on our game. The last thing this needs is for anyone to believe this is a gimme, woeful as CCM have been this season. This has banana skin written all over it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Flo is fit and back in the squad, and only Big Boy Haz is out because of his suspension. Birighitti also misses out through injury and is replaced by Delkanov. Flo being back is definitely good news, given our limited attacking options. I guess we'll see how the rest pull up, but both Riley and Dario are mentioned as being OK. 

6 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Flo is fit and back in the squad, and only Big Boy Haz is out because of his suspension. Birighitti also misses out through injury and is replaced by Delkanov. Flo being back is definitely good news, given our limited attacking options. I guess we'll see how the rest pull up, but both Riley and Dario are mentioned as being OK. 

The team is in for our midweek clash with Central Coast Mariners in Gosford. See who’s in and who’s out of this week’s side.

Frenchman Florin Berenguer headlines the in’s for City this week with the attacker cleared of his long-term calf injury that has kept him out since round six against Newcastle.
Harrison Delbridge is the only casualty from last week with the defender picking up his fifith yellow card of the season meaning he’ll have to serve a mandatory one-match suspension.
After coming off with a knock to the knee in the first half of last week’s match, Riley McGree has recovered well from the contact, putting his hand up for selection this week while Dario Vidosic continues to manage his hip issue from pre-match against Newcastle.
Mark Birighitti also misses the trip to the Central Coast after picking up a back injury in the warm-up against Brisbane. Young goalkeeper James Delianov takes his place on the bench for the midweek clash on the coast.
Melbourne City take on Central Coast on Wednesday night at Central Coast Stadium, kick-off 7.50pm. City return to AAMI Park on Saturday as they face Perth Glory in a blockbuster clash, kick-off 7.50pm.
2.Ritchie De LAET, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 6.Osama MALIK, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley MCGREE, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 22.Curtis GOOD, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 34.Connor METCALFE, 36.Dylan PIERIAS, 40.James DELIANOV
**two to be omitted**

Ins: 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER (returns from injury), 34.Connor METCALFE (promoted), 36.Dylan PIERIAS (promoted)

Outs: 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE (suspended – 1 week)

Unavailable: nil

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/team-news-citys-round-12-squad-0

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Ins: 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER (returns from injury), 34.Connor METCALFE (promoted), 36.Dylan PIERIAS (promoted)

Florian was have been so happy with Baccus signing on permanently his 'long-term' injury must have been magically cured!

On 1/13/2019 at 7:27 PM, fensaddler said:

I think we need to be cautious. We're away. We look to have some injuries. We have no genuine striker. And CCM gave Wellington a good working over before losing a man and copping a couple of penalties. We'll need to be right on our game. The last thing this needs is for anyone to believe this is a gimme, woeful as CCM have been this season. This has banana skin written all over it. 

I feel ALL our games are banana skin games with Bruno sitting in the stand looking on and Wazza boy employing defenders as attackers. In Bort/Delbridge/Galek we trust :up:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Birighitti isn't injured. He's leaving.

Squad has been submitted without him listed in any category, much the same as Bruno.

Coming back to the A-League was supposed to be guaranteed minutes for him regardless of results, yet he's found himself behind the most in-form 37 year old on the planet. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Latchford said:

Squad has been submitted without him listed in any category, much the same as Bruno.

Coming back to the A-League was supposed to be guaranteed minutes for him regardless of results, yet he's found himself behind the most in-form 37 year old on the planet. 

So he faked an injury in the warm up last week?

but if he was realeased it could free up some salary cap room for a better attacker in this transfer window ?

Edited by Missing_Moy

13 minutes ago, Bob Latchford said:

Well, if he is leaving it's no real loss is it? Galekovic is playing well (question on distribution however) and Bouzanis is still under contract for next season. Frees up further cap space if what you say is true.

But I wouldn't take too much notice of the squad list if I were you - City are notoriously sloppy in that respect. Some of the PR department's work smells strongly of cutting and pasting. La Rocca isn't mentioned either

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Line up

eugene

Atkinson Good Bart Jamo

Baccus.   Griff

mcgree.     Brattan.   wales 

Richie 

BENCH - Deli, Malik, Pierias, Florin Nahjarine 

in Joyces presser he said Dario and Metcalfe unavailabile Mcgree trained well so straight back in and no mention of Jamo Also said Richie prob won’t play all 3 games in the next 6 days 

1 hour ago, Missing_Moy said:

in Joyces presser he said Dario and Metcalfe unavailabile Mcgree trained well so straight back in and no mention of Jamo Also said Richie prob won’t play all 3 games in the next 6 days 

Oh how I wish City could get off their arses and find a roving microphone so that we could actually hear the questions...

3 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

So he faked an injury in the warm up last week?

but if he was realeased it could free up some salary cap room for a better attacker in this transfer window ?

Agreed, I think he's genuinely injured as you say. But it is true that with Delianov covering and Galekovic in career best form, it might not be the daftest idea to move him on if someone wants him and/or he wants to go. Likewise LaRocca in all honesty. If it helps to free up space... 

19 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Agreed, I think he's genuinely injured as you say. But it is true that with Delianov covering and Galekovic in career best form, it might not be the daftest idea to move him on if someone wants him and/or he wants to go. Likewise LaRocca in all honesty. If it helps to free up space... 

We have to have a minimum of 20 on the senior list.

Maybe we've finally worked out "the Sydney method" - concentrate your resources on the preferred match-day squad and make up the balance with low cost squaddies.

• Like 3

There was the rumour of Birighitti to Victory but let's just wait and see a couple of games before jumping to anything, our squads are always wrong 

I think this will be the game where we rest DeLaet and start him on bench

Changes from last game starters I think is Atkinson and Najjarine for Delbridge and DeLaet, with Wales going back up front 

Joyce stated he would like to rest players over the next 3 games. I believe, he does not have the personnel to do that. We play 2 of the bottom 3 and Perth. He cannot afford to play anything but his best team team against Perth. Therefore in my opinion, he has to rest his key players against the bottom 3 teams. Our last game was against a bottom 3 team Brisbane and we struggled to hold on. So does it make sense to rest key players against CMC and WSW. First of all who can he rest in tomorrows games Delbridge gets a rest due to suspension and I think this will be the only player missing from the Brisbane starting 11. He also has a problem resting players with the use of subs due to DeLaet's injury. If the reports are to believed, he is having injections to get him through 60'-70' (I am surprised Villa have authorised this). Therefore, he has to save 2 subs until DeLaet has come off because if he uses 2 subs before removing DeLaet he runs the risk of a player picking up an injury in the last 15 mins and having no one left to raplace DeLaet or the injured player.

Resting players sounds like a good idea but we do not have the quality of players in depth to do this due to injuries, suspensions and players not available for whatever reason. If we want to keep this run going we cannot afford to rest key players

Edited by Inchcolm

16 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

Joyce stated he would like to rest players over the next 3 games. I believe, he does not have the personnel to do that. We play 2 of the bottom 3 and Perth. He cannot afford to play anything but his best team team against Perth. Therefore in my opinion, he has to rest his key players against the bottom 3 teams. Our last game was against a bottom 3 team Brisbane and we struggled to hold on. So does it make sense to rest key players against CMC and WSW. First of all who can he rest in tomorrows games Delbridge gets a rest due to suspension and I think this will be the only player missing from the Brisbane starting 11. He also has a problem resting players with the use of subs due to DeLaet's injury. If the reports are to believed, he is having injections to get him through 60'-70' (I am surprised Villa have authorised this). Therefore, he has to save 2 subs until DeLaet has come off because if he uses 2 subs before removing DeLaet he runs the risk of a player picking up an injury in the last 15 mins and having no one left to raplace DeLaet or the injured player.

Resting players sounds like a good idea but we do not have the quality of players in depth to do this due to injuries, suspensions and players not available for whatever reason. If we want to keep this run going we cannot afford to rest key players

Tbh I would rest players against Perth. We aren't going to pick up points against them, but it would be a disaster to drop points agaibst the other two. Considering our game plans involve mostly defending 1 nil leads, resting a key player can lead to that one crucial error that results in dropping pounts.

Anyone who's watched the Mariners the past few weeks would know they were absolutely bossing Sydney until the red card and were looking good for an upset over Wellington until the red card. I can't see it being a walk in the park, particularly if McGree is out, they'll happily sit back and defend while we slowly pass the ball around and hit us on the counter. 

• Like 1