Melbourne Football

The Home Game Experience

citypool

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No I'm not. It's one of the key points that I'm making. Move the ground to the suburbs - e.g. Dandenong - do you think people are going to come from the other side of town, or the country, to the match on a Sunday evening?

I used Dandenong as an example, doesn't have to be smack bang in Dandenong. 

1 minute ago, AntiScum said:

Remote suburb? It's the second biggest growth corridor in the state. 

Exactly home game experience with an atmosphere and a stadium to suit. 

aaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhhhh 

you're isolating existing supporters and the majority of Melbourne to move a club to an area that is geographically remote and a shit to get to.

All because that area has a lot of people in it? Just stick a club in there and that solves everything, including home game experience, club transparency and fan engagement?

Please tell me, how will you improve the Home Game Experience by doing that?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rass said:

aaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhhhh 

you're isolating existing supporters and the majority of Melbourne to move a club to an area that is geographically remote and a shit to get to.

All because that area has a lot of people in it? Just stick a club in there and that solves everything, including home game experience, club transparency and fan engagement?

Please tell me, how will you improve the Home Game Experience by doing that?

You keep harping on about Melbourne when the club isn't based in Melbourne. Victory is what you'd call a Melbourne club where there headquarters are based in Melbourne!!! 

A suitable stadium full with an atmosphere. Not a 1/4 filled stadium that resembles a morgue. 

Edited by AntiScum

Just now, AntiScum said:

You keep harping on about Melbourne when the club isn't based in Melbourne. Victory is what you'd call a Melbourne club where there headquarters are based in Melbourne!!! 

A suitable stadium full with an atmosphere. 

Oh come now, the club is based in Kingsbury but this is all about Home Game experience which for us, is AAMI Park - as close as the city you can get to.

I still don't know how you think that will automatically increase atmosphere. My counter is that atmosphere will come from winning and playing attractive football. AAMI Park is a wonderful stadium and I am as sure as hell that as soon as those two issues above begin to happen, then people will not be complaining one bit about going to AAMI.

1 hour ago, AntiScum said:

If you were to choose a ground to have redeveloped other than lakeside which one would it be? 

Any.

They just have to do the research to prove viability.

Even the current NSL grounds are viable and and clubs would jump at the opportunity to have a better ground and facilities.

If you draw a 10-15 km circle around the CBD  you could probably find 10 venues that could be easy to get to seeing that people need to train hop to get to AAMI, another 5 stops wouldnt make that much difference.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rass said:

Oh come now, the club is based in Kingsbury but this is all about Home Game experience which for us, is AAMI Park - as close as the city you can get to.

I still don't know how you think that will automatically increase atmosphere. My counter is that atmosphere will come from winning and playing attractive football. AAMI Park is a wonderful stadium and I am as sure as hell that as soon as those two issues above begin to happen, then people will not be complaining one bit about going to AAMI.

I don't have a problem with AAMI Park. The clubs been around for long enough and if people haven't caught on by now they never will. IMO it's the Gold Coast of the A-league. A basket case. Do I go to all the games, yes! Will I continue, that's debatable 

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

Any.

They just have to do the research to prove viability.

Even the current NSL grounds are viable and and clubs would jump at the opportunity to have a better ground and facilities.

If you draw a 10-15 km circle around the CBD  you could probably find 10 venues that could be easy to get to seeing that people need to train hop to get to AAMI, another 5 stops would make that much difference.

Actually which NSL teams in particular.

Brunswick Juventus home ground was Olympic Park as was Melbourne Knights until the developed Somer st.

Collingwood and Carlton??

Green Gully , George Cross. Preston Macedonia.  Heidelberg United. Footscray Just. Morwell Falcons .

I probably missed a few but I can't remember any inner city NSL teams.

1 minute ago, AntiScum said:

I don't have a problem with AAMI Park. The clubs been around for long enough and if people haven't caught on by now they never will. IMO it's the Gold Coast of the A-league. A basket case. Do I go to all the games, yes! Will I continue, that's debatable 

I think you are way off the mark there mate re Gold Coast. Despite our amazingly difficult to understand decision making at times, I would certainly rather be more in our position than clubs like CCM, WP or even BR... and for all the Simon Pearce hate on here, I think the way he has manoeuvred the FFA upheaval has ensured our club will be a powerhouse in the years to come.

One thing I know for sure is re-locating to Casey will make going to games so much more difficult for us, in actual fact it would be a massive turn-off. Why would I want to attach myself to a club that is associated with Casey? I have nothing to do with that area - I may as well go and follow WP.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Actually which NSL teams in particular.

Brunswick Juventus home ground was Olympic Park as was Melbourne Knights until the developed Somer st.

Collingwood and Carlton??

Green Gully , George Cross. Preston Macedonia.  Heidelberg United. Footscray Just. Morwell Falcons .

I probably missed a few but I can't remember any inner city NSL teams.

I think the important thing is creating a fortress more than anything, and a 15k ground would do that regardless where it was.

ATM AAMI is just sterile, too big and the Tards regard their away games as home games.

We basically get kicked around by our enemy at our home games.

Not good

6 minutes ago, rass said:

I think you are way off the mark there mate re Gold Coast. Despite our amazingly difficult to understand decision making at times, I would certainly rather be more in our position than clubs like CCM, WP or even BR... and for all the Simon Pearce hate on here, I think the way he has manoeuvred the FFA upheaval has ensured our club will be a powerhouse in the years to come.

One thing I know for sure is re-locating to Casey will make going to games so much more difficult for us, in actual fact it would be a massive turn-off. Why would I want to attach myself to a club that is associated with Casey? I have nothing to do with that area - I may as well go and follow WP.

Casey was just an example of a region I used. If you want to compare apples with apples map out the distance from Melbourne to Tarniet and go out the same distance South - East. Redevelop something out that way and have a boutique stadium. 

The only reason we're not and never will be in the same boat as the clubs you mentioned is Manchesters money. 

6 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I think the important thing is creating a fortress more than anything, and a 15k ground would do that regardless where it was.

ATM AAMI is just sterile, too big and the Tards regard their away games as home games.

We basically get kicked around by our enemy at our home games.

Not good

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

Just now, AntiScum said:

Casey was just an example of a region I used. If you want to compare apples with apples map out the distance from Melbourne to Tarniet and go out the same distance South - East. Redevelop something out that way and have a boutique stadium. 

The only reason we're not and never will be in the same boat as the clubs you mentioned is Manchesters money. 

Well with West Melbourne in the comp now, that won't happen. Interesting to see how those guys go, but then again, there's is a brand new club - so it's a bit hard to tell.

And that is exactly why you can't compare us to Gold Coast!!!

How much has been at Bundoora already. 10 t0 15mil. 

Does anyone actually think there is any chance of relocating and then spending the same plus redeveloping some outer suburban ground. 

We are going to stay at Bundoora and continue to play out of AAMI. Our 8 to 10k rusted one will continue and in 10 to 15 years that should grow to 15 to 20k.

All we need is some decent soccer every now and then and a couple exciting players.

And of course a decent sausage stand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jovan said:

How much has been at Bundoora already. 10 t0 15mil. 

Does anyone actually think there is any chance of relocating and then spending the same plus redeveloping some outer suburban ground. 

We are going to stay at Bundoora and continue to play out of AAMI. Our 8 to 10k rusted one will continue and in 10 to 15 years that should grow to 15 to 20k.

All we need is some decent soccer every now and then and a couple exciting players.

And of course a decent sausage stand.

I tell you what, i reckon some $2 Bunnings style snags would go down a treat if it was positioned right outside aisle 15. Onions on top of course, not any of this PC onions on the bottom bullshit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Bob Latchford said:

A new ground ain't happening. Cheaper seating down the sides and breaking the stigma behind our active support will help us get to 10k attendance most weeks. 

I personally couldn't care less if we only win 1-0 every week, winning is winning to me. 

To the moderators.

This poster is way too rational for this forum.

• Haha 1

I have been a foundation member for the life of City, but i can tell you now that if this club moved to anywhere in the Eastern Suburbs i would not be coming to any home games as it takes me at least an hour and a half to get to AAMI park. How long do you estimate it would take to get from Epping to Dandenong i can hazard a guess - at least 2 hours there and 2 hours back.

To watch the crap football being served up at the moment you would have to be joking.

44 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

I have been a foundation member for the life of City, but i can tell you now that if this club moved to anywhere in the Eastern Suburbs i would not be coming to any home games as it takes me at least an hour and a half to get to AAMI park. How long do you estimate it would take to get from Epping to Dandenong i can hazard a guess - at least 2 hours there and 2 hours back.

To watch the crap football being served up at the moment you would have to be joking.

Call me stupid but I’m a foundation member and I travel from Bendigo, only missed probably 6-7 home games ever. I must admit it’s getting more difficult to drag myself along to games.

Adelaide playing in front of a full house and have come out flying/dominating Victory when was the last time City have done that when there is a big crowd/excitement.....hardly ever just like the first match at home against Sydney this season and you wonder why people don't want to show.

6 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Adelaide playing in front of a full house and have come out flying/dominating Victory when was the last time City have done that when there is a big crowd/excitement.....hardly ever just like the first match at home against Sydney this season and you wonder why people don't want to show.

I know I'm going to get called a eurosnob again by Rass 😂 but in Europe the supply outweighs the demand to keep the hype going as it should do here!! Adelaide have the perfect sized stadium to create buzz for games yet have a bigger ground on standby just in case of a blockbuster game pops up. 

13 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

I know I'm going to get called a eurosnob again by Rass 😂 but in Europe the supply outweighs the demand to keep the hype going as it should do here!! Adelaide have the perfect sized stadium to create buzz for games yet have a bigger ground on standby just in case of a blockbuster game pops up. 

Eurosnob ;)

But cmon, Adelaide's perfect sized ground is about a 5 minute walk out of the city, not in friggin Casey...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rass said:

Eurosnob ;)

But cmon, Adelaide's perfect sized ground is about a 5 minute walk out of the city, not in friggin Casey...

😂

Can you please get over the Casey part I've compromised and said 15-20km South East of AAMI Park 😃 piss South Melbourne off even more and throw us in Oakleigh 😂😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AntiScum said:

😂

Can you please get over the Casey part I've compromised and said 15-20km South East of AAMI Park 😃 piss South Melbourne off even more and throw us in Oakleigh 😂😂

Haha Oakleigh, soon you'll reach Richmond... Wait, isn't there a ground there already? :)

Why don't we just use Lakeside then, that would wreck those muppets for good :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rass said:

Haha Oakleigh, soon you'll reach Richmond... Wait, isn't there a ground there already? :)

Why don't we just use Lakeside then, that would wreck those muppets for good :D

If they can build a 15k stadium Richmond I'd be happy with that as long as it creates an atmosphere I'm all for it. 

Imagine the fumes that'll come out of lakeside if city redeveloped lakeside for its own good 😂😂 least they'll be able to say they're back in the A-League 😅

1 hour ago, AntiScum said:

If they can build a 15k stadium Richmond I'd be happy with that as long as it creates an atmosphere I'm all for it. 

Imagine the fumes that'll come out of lakeside if city redeveloped lakeside for its own good 😂😂 least they'll be able to say they're back in the A-League 😅

I think you'll find that Lakeside is ultimately owned by the State Government. It is operated by the State Sports Centre Trust. I don't think it is up for development or change by any of its tenants, of which South Melbourne FC is but one.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think you'll find that Lakeside is ultimately owned by the State Government. It is operated by the State Sports Centre Trust. I don't think it is up for development or change by any of its tenants, of which South Melbourne FC is but one.

I believe its co lease btw I think its the VIS (or athletics victoria) & south melbourne. I think they have it for 50 years and its was recently renewed. South have pumped money into the stadium tho along with the good old state government

8 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

I believe its co lease btw I think its the VIS (or athletics victoria) & south melbourne. I think they have it for 50 years and its was recently renewed. South have pumped money into the stadium tho along with the good old state government

SMFC have a 40-year lease on the areas they need (negotiated in 2014), and the owner is indeed the Victorian Government. SMFC have (and will) put money into what they call their "exclusive areas" that they have as part of their lease.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

SMFC have a 40-year lease on the areas they need (negotiated in 2014), and the owner is indeed the Victorian Government. SMFC have (and will) put money into what they call their "exclusive areas" that they have as part of their lease.

That's the one. I think the VIS or Athletics Victoria prop up the rest. Sunshine just built a new state of the art football stadium for some 15m and have a similar deal. 

19 hours ago, HughJass said:

Hindmarsh has a capacity of 16,500. The crowd was 12,115.

Our crowd against Sydney in our first home match was 12,086.

Simply illustrates the point that over-sized stadiums kill the atmosphere. Attendances are actually quite reasonable across the league, but the over-sized stadiums make them look far worse than they really are. IMO it's an issue that FFA needs to think about - along with plenty of others!

On 10/01/2019 at 3:50 PM, jw1739 said:

Hindmarsh has a capacity of 16,500. The crowd was 12,115.

Our crowd against Sydney in our first home match was 12,086.

Simply illustrates the point that over-sized stadiums kill the atmosphere. Attendances are actually quite reasonable across the league, but the over-sized stadiums make them look far worse than they really are. IMO it's an issue that FFA needs to think about - along with plenty of others!

We literally exist because aami park needed more tenants. Nothing changing any time soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, citypool said:

there is a bloke on facebook trying to get people to bring one friend to the next home game against adelaide on 9/2 he wants 20k
i love the ambition he is showing if we get more than 12k that would be a success

12k ? we can barely crack 8k ..,unless we can give out free tickets then there's a possibility