Melbourne Football

Rd. 12 - Fri 11th January 2019 vs. Brisbane, AAMI Park, 7.50 pm.

jw1739

6 minutes ago, MH4EVER said:

How about making a statement and thumping a couple more goals past Brisbane 

You seen our goals for and against? This had 1-0 writing all over it.

1 minute ago, Bannon said:

wales is fucking shit

Looks like a complete donkey at times, his decision making is deplorable. 

2 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

Hope not w will be a light on players next game as Delbridge is suspended

But then again Wazza might be forced to play some attackers, silver lining and all that. But I hope he is ok, he looked pretty ginger at the end there though.

Once again it looked like the team was shot physically by 70 minutes, and we were hanging on at the end. Our ineffective use of the ball and failure to take good chances are going to tell as the weather warms up.

IMO Galekovic and the back four are solid enough. Midfield - meh. Better use of the forward pass though this week. Forwards - too many chances missed.

Substitutes such as Vidosic and Malik aren't contributing anything at the moment - they look lost.

Hope the McGree and Baccus injuries aren't serious. Delbridge wil miss the next match with 5 yellows.

Poor attendance.

But three points is three points. Onwards and upwards.

• Like 4

Created a lot of chances first half and deserved the breakthrough (and probably a few more).

...but wow that last half an hour when we put the cue in the rack was soooo hard to watch. Nearly invited a woeful and inept Brisbane back into the game.

We take the win and move on. Equal second should be applauded as we looked in real strife only a month ago.

Just hope McGree is OK because he is vital to that left side.

• Like 6

From the 2 and a half games they have been together this season, I'd like to see baccus and Griffiths start every game possible in Central midfield. They compliment each other I think and with having a second passing option in midfield it gives baccus more confidence to play forwards. His pass to Wales in first half that split pepper and devere was perfect 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

Next home game bang the drums for the whole 90, active was dead first half 

People around me feel that active is better than before. More spontaneous, and so people feel more like joining in.

7 minutes ago, neio said:

From the 2 and a half games they have been together this season, I'd like to see baccus and Griffiths start every game possible in Central midfield. They compliment each other I think and with having a second passing option in midfield it gives baccus more confidence to play forwards. His pass to Wales in first half that split pepper and devere was perfect 

Griffiths was struggling towards the end though. Looked totally knackered.

6 minutes ago, malloy said:

Did anyone else feel like the atmosphere was a off tonight (and I don't mean from an active support perspective). After the game it felt like we had lost the game as opposed to moving up to equal second on points.

Cos tennis was next door and Socceroos vs Palestine 

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

People around me feel that active is better than before. More spontaneous, and so people feel more like joining in.

Griffiths was struggling towards the end though. Looked totally knackered.

Thought active was embarrassing first half, only obvious reason was there was no drum...I thought when the drum was brought in at second half , atmosphere improved ....btw why was the drum 100 times louder than usual lol sounded great tho, keep it up boys 

35 minutes ago, malloy said:

Did anyone else feel like the atmosphere was a off tonight (and I don't mean from an active support perspective). After the game it felt like we had lost the game as opposed to moving up to equal second on points.

It's not fun watching your team play second fiddle to a team that's not as good as us. But the biggest problem is its us that allows teams to do this. Last week and this week we basically let teams to walk over us once we went up a goal. We play scrappy and unattractive football to get the win. Given the teams we've played against its not necessary. We can play on the front foot even if we're ahead and still not concede. But instead we choose to sit back and absorb pressure. It takes its toll where people get exhausted and frustrated watching the near misses and close calls other teams have to equalising when the alternative which were capable of doing is to continue going forward and searching for another goal. By the end of the game people can't wait for it to finish and are simply relieved we got the win rather than exhilarated by the win. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, hakz7 said:

Nope. Surprise surprise 

Bruno was out the front of the stadium talking to fans before the game. Surely not playing would be killing him atm

Funnily enough JVS was also at the game seen him out the front to when the match finished. Did not seem impressed when people recognised him didnt look like he wanted a chat lol

Edited by DukeVader

5 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

McGree is our only dynamic forward, hopefully the injury isn’t too bad. And if Wazza insists on bringing off Bratts around 60-70min mark everyweek we better get used to the boring, parking the bus style of play. 

Totally agree. McGree and Brattan at the moment are our creativity. Losing McGree that early was a real disruption.

Then when he subbed Brattan off, it was time to strap ourselves as there was no real natural creativity on the pitch. ..and even though he was injured, I'm really concerned about Dario at the moment. Looking to me like a real front-runner type of player now.

Joyce juggernaut rolls on. 

Vaguely similar to the last game. First half was some of the best football all year, putting Brisbane to the sword and really should have been at least 3 or 4 to the good at half time.

Once again though we shut up shop and went for “the sleeper hold” when we hit the front. Almost got punished by Henrique for that, but got away with it.

Even without a striker we are clearly a force to be reckoned with.

• Like 1

Very happy to win, as it is a sign of a good team that can win when playing poor.

Hopefully Mcgree coming off was precautionary given our short turn around midweek game (same with Brattan).

Concievably, we could have had 5 goals, if we had tucked away all our notable chances.

The crowd wasn’t as hostile towards the team, compared to our last home game, as I think people are coming terms with our obvious deficiencies up front, and know that our games will be this way until that is resolved.

If we can land a suitable striker, or if Bruno gets back onboard, we will be a genuine contender for silverware / AFC qualification.

We won. That's good, that's very good.

Positives:

We dominated the game for 70 minutes, one of our more fluent performances.

Delbridge has improved enormously (there was room for improvement when he arrived) but his distribution is still his weak area.

Baccus deserves his full-time signing.

Negatives:

Well, this game encapsulates Joyce's philosophy and team style to a tee. We look very good against the weaker teams, and Roar is a poor team

by the end of the game we had 9 defenders and 2 attacking players on the pitch, surely a Joyce wet-dream:

defenders: Eugene, Bart, Delbridge, Griffiths, Baccus, Atkinson, Malik, Jamieson, Good

attackers: Vidosic, Wales

The more defenders he brought on, the more we lost control of the game.

Our difficulty converting our chances speaks for itself, I suspect that we are more entertaining for the neutral, but it becomes extremely frustrating as a supporter, that game should have been over as a contest by half-time. I could accept freezing out Bruno if we had a backup striker, but not playing our only striker when the alternative is no striker, playing another player out of position and weakening us elsewhere on the pitch is poor management. We won't get away with that against the teams above us. I still see us as a 4th place team, not good enough after all this time

• Like 2