Melbourne Football

The annual JW1739 and KOH birthday match vs Newy. Jan 6th, 5pm

kingofhearts

Wazzaball just makes you hate the sport - would rather stick needles in me eyes than sit through.

Dunno how most of the 4K are still there.

Not sure how the hierarchy of the club can accept this rubbish. I hope they realize the only reason we are collecting points is because the rest of the league is rubbish as well. Victory are just bog average but are going to win it again by being the least worst!

Wow what a poor half of football. Little disappointed with some of the younger players. It felt like Metcalf had no interest in actually getting match time. Atkinson poorest players on the pitch and I’m wondering when Najjarine is going to show some of this raved about quality.

With an extra man it clearly shows and exposes that we no clue how about going forward.

• Like 1

We won. This was an extremely poor performance behind the result though. I thought that we were playing the late game when I realised we'd already had 3 goals and a red card. My comments relate to the game after that

Positives:

We won.

We won ugly.

Thanks to our 12th man, Kurt Ams. Our MOTM.

Negatives:

We were outplayed virtually the whole game, especially when it was 12 against 10

Poor performance from Atkinson, a real liability today

This game encapsulates the problems with Joyce: MOH dropped, still no striker, but the main problem is that Joyce has the team play such a rigid and predictable system that not only were we outplayed by 10 man Jets but we didn't adapt at all when we had the extra man. We still played too many first balls backwards, committed too few players to attacks, yet, defended so poorly that it looked like Jets could score on every attack. Our midfield was outplayed, we struggled to play through the Jets press, our ball speed remained too slow. We have no creativity. Zero. We don't have a single Higgs boson of excitement or creativity.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 completely different halves. First one was entertaining and I thought we deserved our lead with Brattans awareness and De Laet, Atkinson and Outlaws pace causing chaos.

2nd half was text book Wazza ball. Say no more.

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

I thought Atkinson played for the Jets? He passed or handed the ball to them all time.

I thought he had a great first half, but his second was as you’ve described 

• Like 1

Metcalfe looked alright, wouldn’t mind seeing a bit more game time for him in what is a pretty hectic January period.

Was a pretty dull second half, Euge making up for his error with the save on Hoffman and good goal line clearance from Brattan but we really do lack that killer instinct and ability to put teams to bed.

• Like 3

Some stats to back @playmaker 's gif

Wales, our 'striker': 1 assist, no shots on or off target. Pass accuracy 88%, only 25% forward, 54% sideways, won 1 duel out of 5

Jamieson: 0 shots 81% accuracy, only 29% forward passes, only 4 crosses

de Laet: 1 shot, 68% accuracy, 36% forward passes, 3 crosses, won 2 duels out of 6. This guy is our marquee

McGree: 5 shots, 1 goal our only player with more forward distribution (31%), won 6/7 tackles

Brattan: 1 shot, 1 goal. most distribution sideways, won 1/6 duels

If it wasn't for McGree we'd be offering nothing going forward, most of the team passes are sideways or backwards

Jets parked the bus when defending and played for free kicks and set pieces, knowing they had Dimi to deliver a dangerous ball.

Wales made plenty of good runs, but our guys are too slow to hit him.

Take the win knowing that if we do click in front of goal, we could have a good year.

Kick on the ground was good after the game

Edited by Torn Asunder

20 minutes ago, MH4EVER said:

You cannot question our desire to be the best club in Australia. :tooth:

Hahahahaha, LOLz. Being the best club in Australia really means that our aim is to grab the best young talent in Oz and pass them on to our CFG overlords. If we win some silverware along the way then that’ll be an accidental bonus.

• Like 1

That second half was absolutely dire. Thankfully my 5 year old had to take a shit early in the half so I was fortunate enough to miss 10 minutes there and we decided to leave 5 minutes early to make sure we didn't miss our train home. The other 30 minutes was pathetic, other than Big Boy Haz's long range bullet.

I haven't commented much on football this season. But today's game showed that Merrick is a far better coach than what Joyce is. The first half was entertaining with real intent but whatever happened during the break for both clubs the results were damming for City. The Jets played strong attacking football - yes they parked the bus but they also had shots on goal whereas city could only manage one shot on goal. Joyce is out of his depth and has no game plan.

I know that many on this forum believe that the club is now only here to produce players that can be sold at a profit. This in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. However to produce and develop talent the older players need to instill a winning mindset, a mindset that says that the team can deliberately win games and not pull the 3 points out of their arse. If the penalty had not been there it is quite likely that the jets would have earned those 3 points.

Positives there was some decent play in teh first half. Negatives, the pep talk that WJ gave meant that the whole team went missing the second half

Well, I thought I'd read the comments before making mine.

One of the worst matches I've ever sat though in my life. I can't remember being bored shitless like that ever before, watching any match, anywhere.

Galekovic went from champ to chump in two minutes.
The two wing-backs barely reached a pass mark.
Only Delbridge and Schenkeveld can hold their heads up after that display.
The midfield was atrocious - I lost count of the times Baccus passes straight to a Newcastle player, Brattan was caught with the ball, and Malik bobbled it 3 yards to the nearest City player.
McGree and Wales also barely made a pass mark.
I can't remember who else was actually playing.

We were outplayed by 10 men for the whole of the second half. We showed no spark and looked out on our feet as we just hung on. FMD I have no idea what Warren Joyce and City Football Group think they are doing with our club. Tonight was a disgrace to the shirt.

• Like 3

I think people are being overly negative. Yes the 2nd half was hard to watch, very frustrating at times, and the Jets controlled the game, but they lost and we won.

I’ve seen many of our games in the past when we looked like Barcelona at times, but copped shit soft goals and ended up losing or dropping points, which undid all the joy of seeing a patch of awesome play.

In the second half, the guys did try to break down the Jets, but being a goal up, as a team we were more focused on defence, and didn’t concede. Also the Jets goal did come from an error, so it’s not like they were overly dangerous to be truthful.

A wins a win. Be happy with that, as the 3 points in the bag will be worth more happiness at the end of the season if we sneak into Asia, than a dissatisfying win at home on a pretty warm Sunday arvo.

• Like 3