Melbourne Football

Rd. 10 - 1st January 2019 vs. WSW, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, 7.50 pm.

jw1739

First of seven matches in January - four of them at home. The transfer window won't open until 3rd January so there will be no new faces. Our defence and midfield looks settled, but there are plenty of questions over the attack. IMO O'Halloran and Wales should be our wingers, and if Vidosic is to start he should be in the middle - he looked lost for the majority of the Christmas Derby.

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

First of seven matches in January - four of them at home. The transfer window won't open until 3rd January so there will be no new faces. Our defence and midfield looks settled, but there are plenty of questions over the attack. IMO O'Halloran and Wales should be our wingers, and if Vidosic is to start he should be in the middle - he looked lost for the majority of the Christmas Derby.

Thoughts?

Looked lost for about 92 minutes. Look dazed after 92.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Thoughts?

For all of Wales, o'halloran and Vidosic to start, who are you dropping to the bench out mcgree, baccus, Brattan or Griffiths? 

16 hours ago, neio said:

For all of Wales, o'halloran and Vidosic to start, who are you dropping to the bench out mcgree, baccus, Brattan or Griffiths? 

Great point. 

I thought based on the last game the defensive midfield pairing of Baccus and Griffiths was solid and Brattan playing much higher up was also influential especially 1st half. 

So that therefore would push Mcgree to the bench, but for me with this situation Id play MOH on right Wales left and put Mcgree up top (unless Bruno comes from exile) and ask Mcgree to be a floating pressing #9.But it's all dependant on the fullbacks playing high or it's pointless playing 2 #6.

TBH if Bruno somehow was to play in this scenario I can see us winning way more than losing. 

No matter what team he fields, the big question is who plays up front. MOH is a winger and he will be like a fish out of water as a striker, Wales has not put in a display which convinces me he will become a striker. McGree? or Videosic may be given an opportunity. But I would have hoped Joyce will have tried different combinations in training and select his best striker. Or does he do his usual select his best 10 outfield trainers and try and form a team with them?

The latest FAKE NEWS, what rubbish.

melbournecityfc.com.au Dec 27, 2018

With City set to take on Western Sydney on New Year’s Day, we take a look at the key battle between two young speedsters, Lachlan Wales and Bruce Kamau.

In many ways Lachlan Wales and Bruce Kamau find themselves in similar situations. Both in their early 20’s, the two attackers with electrifying pace are making a name for themselves in new colours this season.

After joining City in the off-season from fellow Hyundai A-League side Central Coast Mariners, 21-year-old Wales has blossomed. Under the guidance of Head Coach Warren Joyce, the New South Welshman has shown rapid improvement, showcasing his raw speed and football smarts. The youngster has slotted into the side seamlessly, making an immediate impact in City blue. 

Since making his switch from City to the Wanderers, Kamau has also continued to impress. The 23-year-old made over 40 appearances across two years at City before moving to Western Sydney. Now at his third A-League club, after starting his career at Adelaide United, the winger is beginning to mature as a footballer and showcase his footballing ability.

In terms of position, both players find themselves in the attacking third. Kamau will be found out on the wing, skipping past defenders and either cutting in or crossing the ball. While for Wales, his role has been a little more varied this season, with the youngster playing a role both out wide and centrally – demonstrating his willingness to play a role for the team, as well as his versatility.

Speaking of the attacking third, both players have demonstrated their ability to find the back of the net, scoring one goal apiece from their nine appearances this season. Wales’ shooting accuracy has proven to be far more superior than his counterpart, travelling at 66.7 per cent accuracy, compared to Kamau’s 33.3 per cent.

Kamau’s tendency to whip the ball in from the wing for the Wanderers has seen him make six successful crosses, three more than Wales, as well as 14 key passes, eight more than Wales. Kamau has also registered two assists, while Wales has one to his name.

When it comes to distribution, both players have played a key role for their team. Wales has made 132 successful passes this season and Kamau 145. The numbers do suggest that both players are lethal in attack, traveling at impressive pass percentage ratios in the opponents’ half. Wales is currently travelling at 71.4 per cent and Kamau at 74.1 per cent. Their ability to carry the ball by foot has also been on display, with Wales making three successful dribbles and Kamau nine, with the winger exploiting the pace left in front of him.

In terms of discipline, the dancing feet of both players combined with their raw speed has seen them earn their fair share of fouls. Wales has won 10 fouls and Kamau 12.

There is no doubt that both players possess the attacking qualities that could change the game in favour of their side, but which one steps up to the task on New Year’s Day and delivers for their side remains to be seen.

City will be looking to extend their unbeaten run to three matches when they take on the Wanderers at ANZ Stadium on Tuesday 1 January, kick-off 7:50pm, before they return to Melbourne to host Newcastle Jets at AAMI Park on Sunday 6 January.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony999 said:

We win this we move within 3 points of MV and top spot (considering Perth drop points). And win at home the following week and back in the mix for top 2!

Have we ever won away to Western Sydney? Our record against them is appalling - 4W-4D-10L. Overall, far worse than against any other club.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Have we ever won away to Western Sydney? Our record against them is appalling - 4W-4D-10L. Overall, far worse than against any other club.

I was thinking about this too, so I looked into it. You’re right, we have never beaten the Wanderers in Sydney. Pretty crazy actually. Surely we are due. 

17 hours ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

I was thinking about this too, so I looked into it. You’re right, we have never beaten the Wanderers in Sydney. Pretty crazy actually. Surely we are due. 

One of the key matches of the season. If we are ever to go into Asia these are the records that we have to reverse and the matches that we have to win.

1.Mark BIRIGHITTI (gk), 2.Ritchie De LAET, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c) , 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 6.Osama MALIK, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley MCGREE, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 11.Michael O’HALLORAN, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 34.Connor METCALFE
**two to be omitted**
Ins: 22.Curtis GOOD (promoted), 34.Connor METCALFE (promoted)
Outs: nil
Unavailable: 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER (calf)
https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/team-news-citys-round-10-squad-0

2 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

Expected line up 

878032B9-60A5-45B1-AF00-00D16E58EDE9.jpeg

How id like us to Line up

60190439-B735-4069-982E-3B7A9D2E794D.jpeg

I would play MOH on the right his natural position but I will be happy if he starts on either wing. Joyce needs to start to play offensively if he wants to avoid a mid table finish and that is difficult with out a recognised striker.

Our record away to Wanderers is obviously woeful but it should be a win.

Then you look at our next 3 Newcastle home Mariners away and the Brisbane home we should get maximum points and if we get 12 points we could be sniffing around the top 2.

Obviously this post is made after a pleasant evening and the world looking bright and lovely but who knows 2019 may turn out not as shit as many including yours truly perceived a few weeks ago. 

Happy New year all !!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

Disappointed MOH not starting. Same team that only survived defeat with an extra time goal. Showing confidence in a team that failed to win. He fielded a team not to lose against Victory and he has again sent out a team not to lose 

MCFC.jpg

He’ll come in early trust me 

I think the best he can hope for is 30 mins and that is never enough. He will give very little if Joyce again brings him on as a Centre Forward as he is a winger. He needs to start. He has been waiting for 4 weeks since he got the all clear scan. How long is Joyce going to keep him out of the starting line up as the transfer window has opened in Europe

Edited by Inchcolm