Melbourne Football

The Christmas Derby, Sat 22nd December, AAMI Park, 7:50 ko

kingofhearts

2 hours ago, HeartOfCity said:

Tend to agree, maybe theres no need for a capo anymore. Maybe the terrace can just be the terrace, i will say that when a chant starts from the middle of the terrace it feels like a proper terrace

EXACTLY.  The Capo is a self-indulgence for a group of mates.  I never saw a capo until I came to Australia.  I defy anyone to tell me there is no home-ground fan atmosphere at the ''active'' ends in the English Premier League/Championshp etc. I have had some mighty days and nights in the Trent End at the City Ground.  And elsewhere. Nobody telling me what to do, when to sit down, what to yell.   That model does not work.  It's for kids.

4 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

EXACTLY.  The Capo is a self-indulgence for a group of mates.  I never saw a capo until I came to Australia.  I defy anyone to tell me there is no home-ground fan atmosphere at the ''active'' ends in the English Premier League/Championshp etc. I have had some mighty days and nights in the Trent End at the City Ground.  And elsewhere. Nobody telling me what to do, when to sit down, what to yell.   That model does not work.  It's for kids.

Not all of us grew up in England/Australia and we make up the majority of people who join active areas, cant be too surprising that we also bring the soccer culture.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Not all of us grew up in England/Australia and we make up the majority of people who join active areas, cant be too surprising that we also bring the soccer culture.

I think the point is you don't need a specific area or a specific leader or leadership group. Look at the Bundesliga - the stands behind the goals in Dortmund. As intimidating as the Wehrmacht.

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

I'm going to put it out there and you guys can come at me. Baccus is a fucking gun. He plays his 'given role' extremely well. Shields our back four, has a fantastic engine, incredible evasive abilities that not many CDMs have in this league and from time to time can have a shot and he's has a bloody good one too. When he has it, no matter if he's under pressure, I feel at complete ease in his ability. Yes he passes the ball sideways and backward but it's obvious that he's playing his role in the team. As I've said previously Mooy cops the same criticism for the national team. 

He’s decent. Doesn’t deserve the criticism he gets. I prefer Malik though.

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

Fair enough. Look it was a slightly over the top post from myself lol (purposefully mind you) but granted I'll watch the replay and probably get a better idea of his performance last night. 

His little flick past that wannabe socceroo pretender money grub Troisi, was worth the night alone as it setup our goal.

Twas magic!

On this capo/no capo thing. My soccer culture is British, and I've seen the racket a spontaneous terrace can make (including the one at the City Ground in Nottingham). So certainly a terrace can work without formal leadership. But let's accept that's not everyone's football culture. So if there's a capo fine, if not also fine. If spontaneous chants start even with a capo, also fine. It's not us and them. It's just us. 

5 hours ago, CityWildcat said:

Long time reader, first time poster.

Wish I had gotten more involved in the Melburnians, especially after reading comments like this.

The only people who've been self indulgent are the people at the back which I assume you're part of. Jeopodising the whole show because the set up isn't what you like.

We arent in England, Melbourne doesn't have the same culture and we've had a capo for years.

If any of the Melburnians are on this forum, well done and cheers for putting your hand up for a thankless task. Sorry that your hard work has been undermined by people who wanted it their way.

Edited by HeartAttackCity

5 hours ago, CityWildcat said:

You ever start a round of "You've lost that loving feeling" and I'll double the volume and nudge the lads around me in

Still the best chant (and underexposed) I've ever heard at any football ground.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

I'm going to put it out there and you guys can come at me. Baccus is a fucking gun. He plays his 'given role' extremely well. Shields our back four, has a fantastic engine, incredible evasive abilities that not many CDMs have in this league and from time to time can have a shot and he's has a bloody good one too. When he has it, no matter if he's under pressure, I feel at complete ease in his ability. Yes he passes the ball sideways and backward but it's obvious that he's playing his role in the team. As I've said previously Mooy cops the same criticism for the national team. 

Couldn't agree with this more, he has been the signing of the season for me so far. The whole he only passed backwards is absolute rubbish. He does the exact same as what Kilkenny used to do and everyone loved him. 

Works hard, very tidy on ball, good tackler and generally keeps their best midfielder quiet. Don't know what more people want 

2 hours ago, neio said:

Couldn't agree with this more, he has been the signing of the season for me so far. The whole he only passed backwards is absolute rubbish. He does the exact same as what Kilkenny used to do and everyone loved him. 

Works hard, very tidy on ball, good tackler and generally keeps their best midfielder quiet. Don't know what more people want 

Baccus is getting better and better no doubt and plays with more confidence now. The criticism was justified for the early season games but it went unnoticed for some. Backward passing comes to light more when you don’t create anything going forward as a team, during the Kilkenny years we created much more upfront.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Baccus is getting better and better no doubt and plays with more confidence now. The criticism was justified for the early season games but it went unnoticed for some. Backward passing comes to light more when you don’t create anything going forward as a team, during the Kilkenny years we created much more upfront.

The coach has nothing to do with that? The players around him? Come on man :rolleyes:

Edited by n i k o

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

The coach has nothing to do with that? The players around him? Come on man :rolleyes:

You’ve lost me, I can’t follow your response. All I’m saying is that nobody had an issue with Kilkenny going sideways or back at times when the forwards were scoring goals.

1 hour ago, HeartOfCity said:

Have been so impressed with Delibridge this year, total contrast from last year.

RoboCop was MOM IMO. The amount of times he saved our arses with blocked shots and cutting of passes into the box was epic. It's a shame De Laet and Bart didn't cover Barbarouses adequately so he didn't have 5 minutes to get that cross onto Toivonen's head and leave RoboCop with too much space to defend.

Having a great year.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, playmaker said:

RoboCop was MOM IMO. The amount of times he saved our arses with blocked shots and cutting of passes into the box was epic. It's a shame De Laet and Bart didn't cover Barbarouses adequately so he didn't have 5 minutes to get that cross onto Toivonen's head and leave RoboCop with too much space to defend.

Having a great year.

Delbridge will turn 27 in March. Still has plenty of seasons left in him. I think we can put him down on the plus side of the CFG Scouting Network ledger.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Delbridge will turn 27 in March. Still has plenty of seasons left in him. I think we can put him down on the plus side of the CFG Scouting Network ledger.

Take it easy with putting him down as success. 

He sucked big time last season and to his credit he has improved but like everything on here it's an "either or" argument. 

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

He sucked big time last season and to his credit he has improved but like everything on here it's an "either or" argument. 

Truth is we never purchased him as a starting CB - it always seemed an investment in his potential. What we saw of him last season that the pace of football here was beyond him. That has changed dramatically. He now reads the play much better and can be dominant in his position. Also good to have a tall player in the squad - feeling like he will score a few headers for us from corners over the years.

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

To score corners we need to land the ball in the box first out of reach of the goalkeeper and past the first goal post - this has been an issue for many years for some mysterious reason.

Still can't work this out. How hard is it to at least get the ball into the area between the 6 yard line and penalty spot with a bit of height.

Basic stuff

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

To score corners we need to land the ball in the box first out of reach of the goalkeeper and past the first goal post - this has been an issue for many years for some mysterious reason.

100% me and the missus always joke when a corner comes up. Those Mooy to Kisnorbo header days are long gone.

18 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

We haven't ever been good at corners. This is nothing new. 

You'd be surprised that most teams at most levels aren't any "good" at corners, were most goals come from during corners is from even worse defending but tbh I'm this biggest moaner whenever there either ballooned to nobody or don't beat the first defender.

Edited by Jovan

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

I'm guessing that he's not on much above the minimum wage, and IMO he's better than a lot of people give him credit for. As @playmaker said he cut out a lot of dangerous passes and blocked plenty of shots in the Derby. As for the cards, he's by no means a dirty player; he took one for the team against Victory.

1 hour ago, HughJass said:

Mooy wasn't that good either from what I remember was all Kisnorbo

Mooy was as bad as Brattan is in the present team. It's not just corners, it's also free-kicks. My personal gripes are 1) free-kicks taken backwards and 2) inability to take a decent in-swinging kick. I reckon Colazo was the only player we've had who could take a dangerous in-swinger.

I reckon our poor performance in this area costs us 3-4 goals and points per season. I just don't know why we don't pay attention to it and fix the problems.

• Like 2