Melbourne Football

The Christmas Derby, Sat 22nd December, AAMI Park, 7:50 ko

kingofhearts

2 hours ago, rass said:

I may be a bit old school, but I think we desperately need a proper #9, someone who can hold it up, lay it off, link upbwith everyone around him and generally just be a total pain in the arse to the defenders around you.

And that’s what Bruno does pretty effectively. But he too has become isolated because we have nobody of the quality Mooy who can run the midfield and spear in a ball to Bruno’s feet for him to work his magic. Other than Bruno we have nobody else with those qualities. It’s a pity that Wazza decided just a few games into the season that he didn’t want El Tuna but we had no other effective alternative.

Score is nil all

90th minute, Melbourne city have had 0 shots on target, Galekovic has made 48 saves 

After a beautiful passing sequence between baccus, Delbridge, baccus, Delbridge, Schenkeveld, baccus, Schenkeveld, Delbridge, baccus. Delbridge eventually shits himself and bombs in forward

Leigh Broxham has a brain explosion and fouls Malik who is playing as a striker on the edge of box

The ball is being set up

The lights go out, and music starts playing WWE style

The lights come back on and standing over the ball is Bruno Fornaroli 

He puts the ball in the top corner

City win, Victory whinge about VAR and everything is right in the aleague again 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, neio said:

Score is nil all

90th minute, Melbourne city have had 0 shots on target, Galekovic has made 48 saves 

After a beautiful passing sequence between baccus, Delbridge, baccus, Delbridge, Schenkeveld, baccus, Schenkeveld, Delbridge, baccus. Delbridge eventually shits himself and bombs in forward

Leigh Broxham has a brain explosion and fouls Malik who is playing as a striker on the edge of box

The ball is being set up

And then you wake up in cold sweat.

2 hours ago, neio said:

Score is nil all

The ball is being set up

Brilliant

Then they have an post match interview with Bruno(Iron Shiek) and Budinski (Volkov) talking about Joyce.

:rolleyes:

Edited by playmaker

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm afraid I'm in the Wales camp. I find it odd that when we discuss the merits of the other nine clubs we often make comment on how they get in behind the defence and cross the ball into the box but we don't. And yet that's just what I see when I see Wales play - that's just what he's trying to do. He's just 21 and IMO he's a very good footballer.

Dario - as the Talking City boys say in their latest - is too often invisible. IMO at 31 at best he's a bench player. That's where I expect to see him when/if O'Halloran gets a starting berth.

This is the beauty of football it is all about opinions and I respect yours. However to me Wales is not a striker. I do not know all the stats but to me a striker has to be the teams main goal scorer and goal threat. Wales has 1 goal and I dread to think how low his shots on target are. As a winger he shows potential and only potential. In my opinion, he is not a striker. Vidosic is bigger stronger and more experienced in that position. He is better at holding the ball, up using his strength to fend of players while waiting on support. He also is better in the air should we be looking for an out ball from defense. The team has had 2 shots on target in the last two games (over 180 mins) I believe this should set alarm bells ringing and point to the need for change. But Joyce is in charge and agrees with you so Wales is our striker.

O'Halloran main attribute is to provide assists with his crosses in to the box, is Wales the player to get on to them. MOH will score goals but too is not a striker. 

Edited by Inchcolm

Yep my men @rass and @Inchcolm are with me. 

Wales at present is only a winger. Dario on the other hand is for mine “a forward”, that is can play across the front 4 and importantly has a goal scorers instinct, something we’re yet to see a sign of from young Lachie. I know Dario’s forms been ordinary but at least he knows where the goals are. 

Obviously id look deeper in the squad if I was the gaffer though.

The squad is named. Fornaroli omitted, O'Halloran included.

1.Mark BIRIGHITTI (gk), 2.Ritchie De LAET, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c) , 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 6.Osama MALIK, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley MCGREE, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 11.Michael O’HALLORAN,  13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 34.Connor METCALFE

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 22.Curtis GOOD (returns from suspension), 34.Connor METCALFE (promoted)

Outs: nil

Unavailable: 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER (calf)
https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/team-news-citys-round-9-squad-0

Edited by jw1739

5 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

with Leroy Georg and Baenana officially out, I say this man will score a brace when he comes on in the 75th minute, CMON CITY

Two goals in 15 mins. Why not bring him on with 30 mins to go and he could score 4 :D. Seriously I am old school I would start him and see how longs he lasts. Why give him 15 mins when that is too little time to influence the game. If he started and lasted an hour then you have and hour out of him rather than 15 mins and he leaves thew park full of energy and what might have been. I think we will need to play a counter attacking game. Here is a good counter attacking goal from Michael (in the orange boots)

2 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

Two goals in 15 mins. Why not bring him on with 30 mins to go and he could score 4 :D. Seriously I am old school I would start him and see how longs he lasts. Why give him 15 mins when that is too little time to influence the game. If he started and lasted an hour then you have and hour out of him rather than 15 mins and he leaves thew park full of energy and what might have been. I think we will need to play a counter attacking game. Here is a good counter attacking goal from Michael (in the orange boots)

I like this train of thought for sure! Mainly because our wingers have offered fuck all this season 

I get scared when injuried players return though for instance what happened with Richie on Sunday subbed after 20 minutes

12 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

I like this train of thought for sure! Mainly because our wingers have offered fuck all this season 

I get scared when injuried players return though for instance what happened with Richie on Sunday subbed after 20 minutes

I still believe this is the method. Start them and see how long they last. 

Just been reading the City web site, they are comparing McGree to Antonis in a key battle. Before I go any further, I do think McGree is a good young player, this is not a dig at him but a dig at stats and the journalist.

“McGree has proven that he rarely wastes a shot on goal, consistently testing the goalkeeper or finding the back of the net, this is reflected in his key statistics with a current shooting accuracy percentage of 71.4 per cent, in comparison to Antonis on 46.2 per cent.”

Jounalistic licence with stats

McGree 7 shots  5 on target 2 goals

Antonis 13 shots 6 on target 3 goals  

Now which is the better stat.

Also Antonis has 3 assists and McGree 1 assist.

The others are not worth commenting on “dribbling” and “passing”

As I have said before there are stats and there are stats and the only stat which will count on Saturday is goals not; shot accuracy, passing or dribbling.

12 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

Just been reading the City web site, they are comparing McGree to Antonis in a key battle. Before I go any further, I do think McGree is a good young player, this is not a dig at him but a dig at stats and the journalist.

“McGree has proven that he rarely wastes a shot on goal, consistently testing the goalkeeper or finding the back of the net, this is reflected in his key statistics with a current shooting accuracy percentage of 71.4 per cent, in comparison to Antonis on 46.2 per cent.”

Jounalistic licence with stats

McGree 7 shots  5 on target 2 goals

Antonis 13 shots 6 on target 3 goals  

Now which is the better stat.

Also Antonis has 3 assists and McGree 1 assist.

The others are not worth commenting on “dribbling” and “passing”

As I have said before there are stats and there are stats and the only stat which will count on Saturday is goals not; shot accuracy, passing or dribbling.

Typical City PR bullshit and the sort of thing that makes me mad - City need to stop patronising their fans with crap like this. Stop treating us like idiots. The statistic that counts is that Melbourne Victory is top of the table and we are fourth.

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Typical City PR bullshit and the sort of thing that makes me mad - City need to stop patronising their fans with crap like this. Stop treating us like idiots. The statistic that counts is that Melbourne Victory is top of the table and we are fourth.

They're actually second....

Joyce on Wales: 

'He’s a good footballer. He wasn’t really a winger when he was younger, he played there because you play wherever you’re told to play if you’re trying to get a chance in the first team.

He’s comfortable in central areas, he’s got a good brain, he’s a good athlete but he’s got a good touch as well, he can play, he’s not just a runner.'

There you go. He doesn’t consider Wales a winger and possibly neither does Lachlan himself. Seems to me like a natural winger but until we get a proper CF he will continue to play that role. 

Edited by Harrison

26 minutes ago, neio said:

Call me dumb, stupid or incredibly hopeful but I have a feeling Bruno will be on the bench tomorrow night. I still find it strange that 3 players all commented on how well he has been going in the space of 24 hours when nothing was said by anyone for previous month 

It's called 'Damage Control Propaganda'

4 hours ago, rass said:

Just overheard a couple of dudes at work talking about the possibility of Honda and/or Toivonen not playing tomorrow.

Now I'm not going to even bother trying to verify this at all, but thought I'd just drop it here.

There was an sbs article saying two internationals for victory are not playing ( Bena & Neodermier) but the article photo had Honda and Tovien as the cover good click bait 

Edited by Missing_Moy
  • Like 1

Melbourne website

"The team is for Saturday’s massive Melbourne Derby. See who’s in and who’s out of this week’s side. 

It’s good news for City on the injury front with Ritchie De Laet being named in the side to take on Victory in the Derby. The defender debuted and scored against this week’s opponents and despite his early exit against Adelaide, has worked hard on the track to ensure he is fit for the contest.

Curtis Good will also look to make his return to the side after sitting out last week’s contest through suspension. The defender’s last Melbourne Derby was 2011/12’s Round 18 clash that saw a 0-0 stalemate.

Florin Berenguer remains on the long-term injury list with his calf injury as Kearyn Baccus becomes the Frenchman’s injury replacement player after the return of Michael O’Halloran. The squad of 18 will be cut down by two 90 minutes before kick-off."

33 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

https://dailyfootballshow.com/ahead-of-christmas-derby-warren-joyce-wants-to-make-city-fans-believe/

He’s don’t the opposite to make us believe. This guy doesn’t inspire me one bit. He really doesn’t get it does he. 

Just by reading the link address it makes me furious! Believe in Fucking what???? Shit system of play? Driving the players out that know he's a spud out? I thought i'd calmed down from the goings on from the last couple of weeks and then i see this!