Melbourne Football

The Great Annual "In" or "Out" thread

thisphantomfortress

The Great Annual "In" or "Out" poll  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Attending games wit Wazza at the helm?

Turn up and join the 23rd minute protest!

I think that the 23 minute should become a permanent marker at our home games beyond the protest ... it could be the Bruno chant from active, as an ongoing reminder to CFG to always remember that they need to consider City supporters first and foremost

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Did anyone get a call of Melbourne City today? I had a missed call and when l called back (now) it went to their voice. 

Yesterday l replied to their spam email with "Where is Bruno, Wazza?". Maybe something got to do with that???

I replied to be removed from their mailing lists because the club is a joke sending out emails like that while the joint is in meltdown. Membership called me today but i was at work.

2 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Did anyone get a call of Melbourne City today? I had a missed call and when l called back (now) it went to their voice. 

Yesterday l replied to their spam email with "Where is Bruno, Wazza?". Maybe something got to do with that???

@Tony999 If you replied to the "Guide to Sunday's match" then you will have received a call today. See the Bruno and the Newcastle match threads.

As i have said elsewhere  on this forum the Mrs and i are both now non members so that will be saving me $35 a month and the travel costs as well . So sick of watching crap boring football  and we have both been members since day one of HEART.

Edited by johnno cpfc
Added text.

I suppose I’m still in but my enthusiasm for the club and the league more generally has been waning for a while now. 

I find the league stale and boring and our team especially so. I was optimistic before this season as I thought our squad was one of the best ever assembled but that was misplaced. We’re full of hard working, vanilla footballers and we’ve isolated our only marketable player and striker. We’re led by a stubborn, uninspiring Englishman whose approach to football belongs in the last century. Our owners are frustratingly inscrutable and I can’t shake the nagging feeling that we now exist as a PR exercise and a small, money making venture.

It’s clear that we’ve got ambitions in a revamped league because we’ve taken a big role in this congress reform and will probably have an even bigger role in an independent league. But will CFG splash the cash and buy us success domestically and continentally? Will they keep farming out our good, young talent? Will they be a little more transparent? How many fans will leave for Team 11? 

A lot of questions and a lot of frustration. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion , but I personally think this thread is silly. Do you support the club or the manager? I'll attend games even is Aloisi is the coach again.

Having said that, anyone on this forum who will genuinely leave City for Team 11?

Ok bit of a personal rant on the back of your question. I for one am very traditional in having loyalty to one club no matter what.  Ehat I value is supporting a club that has a geographical meaning or a particular personal connection to me. Melbourne City certainly doesn't tick those boxes. However I've made friends through the club and it has been a way for my entire family to stay more connected. Beside the point, so far City has, at least on the surface, somewhat made me feel connected to the players and the vibe of being 'a club.' However this connection is dwindling and the more CFG continue to make it feel like a corporation than a football club the more I find reason to not support them. And if I get to the point where City continues to create a corporate business feel than a football club feel ill have no qualms in leaving. The club isn't there yet but this path they're on is making it feel like it's not too far down the track. To answer your question Team 11 would provide a geographical connection to myself having grown up in the east. I don't know whether I would ever become a member but I'd certainly go to games should my membership with City end. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Ok bit of a personal rant on the back of your question. I for one am very traditional in having loyalty to one club no matter what.  Ehat I value is supporting a club that has a geographical meaning or a particular personal connection to me. Melbourne City certainly doesn't tick those boxes. However I've made friends through the club and it has been a way for my entire family to stay more connected. Beside the point, so far City has, at least on the surface, somewhat made me feel connected to the players and the vibe of being 'a club.' However this connection is dwindling and the more CFG continue to make it feel like a corporation than a football club the more I find reason to not support them. And if I get to the point where City continues to create a corporate business feel than a football club feel ill have no qualms in leaving. The club isn't there yet but this path they're on is making it feel like it's not too far down the track. To answer your question Team 11 would provide a geographical connection to myself having grown up in the east. I don't know whether I would ever become a member but I'd certainly go to games should my membership with City end. 

Fully understand. I've given this club my money since day one. I simply cannot walk away from it now regardless what happens. And no club will persuade me to switch even if the stadium was built across the road from me. There is no doubt CFG is not making City appealing and even scaring away what we already, but I still have hope (only just) things will turn for the better of this club whether it takes 1 year or 10 years. Doubt many share the same feeling as me which is understandable, so CFG better act sooner rather than later otherwise this club will simply cease to exist.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tony999 said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion , but I personally think this thread is silly. Do you support the club or the manager? I'll attend games even is Aloisi is the coach again.

Having said that, anyone on this forum who will genuinely leave City for Team 11?

If Team 11 gets in I'll buy a membership and hopefully attend most home games. I haven't had been a member since the Heart days and have only been to half a dozen City games since the takeover. For me Casey Fields is about an hour by car, getting to AAMI park is generally double that if you're lucky. 

Having been involved in a fair bit with Team 11 through my club I think they're going about it the right way, getting people involved from clubs who devote their time to the game already, these are the people who have the pull with the parents of juniors at their club, this is where the long term future support lies. Also having Matt Windley on board is their Ace in the Hole for the future, they guy is extremely approachable and genuinely passionate and informed about the game and people feed off that and take that back to their clubs.

Other than the City Cup for juniors I don't think I've received any correspondence from Melbourne City about doing anything with my club, whilst Melbourne Victory have got back on the front foot the last 18 months and are constantly sending out information and opportunities. This is a big loss compared to what Heart used to do, especially with Clint Bolton and Lousia Bisby getting out to clubs constantly.

Edited by mus-28
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

If Team 11 gets in I'll buy a membership and hopefully attend most home games. I haven't had been a member since the Heart days and have only been to half a dozen City games since the takeover. For me Casey Fields is about an hour by car, getting to AAMI park is generally double that if you're lucky. 

Having been involved in a fair bit with Team 11 through my club I think they're going about it the right way, getting people involved from clubs who devote their time to the game already, these are the people who have the pull with the parents of juniors at their club, this is where the long term future support lies. Also having Matt Windley on board is their Ace in the Hole for the future, they guy is extremely approachable and genuinely passionate and informed about the game and people feed off that and take that back to their clubs.

Other than the City Cup for juniors I don't think I've received any correspondence from Melbourne City about doing anything with my club, whilst Melbourne Victory have got back on the front foot the last 18 months and are constantly sending out information and opportunities. This is a big loss compared to what Heart used to do, especially with Clint Bolton and Lousia Bisby getting out to clubs constantly.

You created the team 11 forum yet?

Unfortunately Heart was the mistake everyone has learnt from. Cant just plonk a side in, give it the opposite colours and off you go etc etc. CFG had the opportunity to put it right. But they have stuffed it. They should have given the local management alot more independence from Manchester to do what they think would help grow the supporter base. 

Team 11 are doing exactly what CFG/Heart should have done. Pick an area. Go to the local clubs and embed yourself into them. No idea if the West Melbourne thing is doing the same

Edited by Dylan

39 minutes ago, n i k o said:

4 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Fully understand. I've given this club my money since day one. I simply cannot walk away from it now regardless what happens. And no club will persuade me to switch even if the stadium was built across the road from me. There is no doubt CFG is not making City appealing and even scaring away what we already, but I still have hope (only just) things will turn for the better of this club whether it takes 1 year or 10 years. Doubt many share the same feeling as me which is understandable, so CFG better act sooner rather than later otherwise this club will simply cease to exist.

These two posts pretty well sum up my position too. The exception being that if Team11 does get up I will definitely take out a membership. I don't want to get into the question of whether I would be a "supporter" or a "follower", because these terms seem to mean different things to different people - "membership" just means "season ticket" for an A-League club.  Membership would give me more football to watch without the hassle of getting tickets to individual matches, and of course seats at City's "away" derbies with the new club.

For the last two seasons I've gone the short distance to watch Bentleigh Greens in their home FFA Cup matches - and it's actually very enjoyable to watch a match without having an emotional attachment to either team. 

On 29/11/2018 at 10:31 PM, thisphantomfortress said:

I'm out until Wazza is. 

3 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Live too close too aami. Stuck with city :(

Mate you start a thread stating your out then you flip flop. 

FWIW I'm out Monday to Thursday come Friday morning I'm in all the way.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I sent a long rambling email, cancelling my membership, explaining that I was positive about the take over originally, as I thought Heart's days were numbered. But then said we really are run like a franchise so how can anyone support such a thing, where the local management team seem to be on a tight leash.  I also suggested that they really fucked up (not in those words) the home kit. Had a real opportunity to make something unique for us but still enough for the CFG ownership to be recognized. Then reittereated that that happened because we really seem like just a franchise.

I did say I felt a bit strange that it was Bruno that finally broke the camels back as there is no 'I' in team. But explained that for years I was waiting to have a Thompson, Broich, Isasis type player who became the embodiment of the club and we finally had it and now on top of the terrible football (something that the CFG originally promised the opposite) they are pushing out the door by a manager who just got the job because he was the mate of one of the higher ups at CFG.

Then said stop acting like a football club is a business or a company, its not that and shouldn't be run as such. and hoped that my small gesture here would be mimicked by others so the club could finally wake up.

Anyway, wont ever support another Aleague club (I still support Fitzroy ffs) but yeah, couldn't do it. Oh and it might seem petty but not having a pin this year in the membership really really annoyed me for some reason haha

Good post! 

Not following your lead mainly because the major reason I remain committed is becacuse of the group I sit with. 

If I was solo or just my kids I think I would have walked at the end of last season. 

Keep posting. 

11 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I sent a long rambling email, cancelling my membership, explaining that I was positive about the take over originally, as I thought Heart's days were numbered. But then said we really are run like a franchise so how can anyone support such a thing, where the local management team seem to be on a tight leash.  I also suggested that they really fucked up (not in those words) the home kit. Had a real opportunity to make something unique for us but still enough for the CFG ownership to be recognized. Then reittereated that that happened because we really seem like just a franchise.

I did say I felt a bit strange that it was Bruno that finally broke the camels back as there is no 'I' in team. But explained that for years I was waiting to have a Thompson, Broich, Isasis type player who became the embodiment of the club and we finally had it and now on top of the terrible football (something that the CFG originally promised the opposite) they are pushing out the door by a manager who just got the job because he was the mate of one of the higher ups at CFG.

Then said stop acting like a football club is a business or a company, its not that and shouldn't be run as such. and hoped that my small gesture here would be mimicked by others so the club could finally wake up.

Anyway, wont ever support another Aleague club (I still support Fitzroy ffs) but yeah, couldn't do it. Oh and it might seem petty but not having a pin this year in the membership really really annoyed me for some reason haha

Sorry to see you go, mate.

According to the HAL web-site, our membership is still slowly creeping upwards. The question is, do I believe what the club says anymore?

I'm in. It's my opinion and really, the only one that counts to me.

I see it as just like any relationship; there are good times and shit times. People are entitled to feel what they want and if you think the relationship is so one-way that you feel you're continually being screwed over, then fair enough, I understand why you are out.

But for mine, this relationship has also given plenty back to me. It may not be in the form of winning or excitement at the moment, but following this club and going to matches has been a huge factor for keeping my family unit together - as we all go and look forward to it each time, no matter how frustrating it may be; I'll be forever grateful for that.

I've seen my kids grow up following this club and experienced first hand their joy at meeting players and being involved. The club has always been generous and open to that. Seeing their happiness means the world to me.

So whilst I am really pissed off with the way things have transpired and the depth we have reached now, I've committed and invested too much emotionally, and financially for that matter, to give up on them now.

I'm in.

• Like 3

Oh I

8 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Good post! 

Not following your lead mainly because the major reason I remain committed is becacuse of the group I sit with. 

If I was solo or just my kids I think I would have walked at the end of last season. 

Keep posting. 

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Sorry to see you go, mate.

According to the HAL web-site, our membership is still slowly creeping upwards. The question is, do I believe what the club says anymore?

'm not going, just dont want to give them money anymore until they let Melbourne City be Melbourne City. Its quite a hypocritical turnaround. My posts around the take over were veeeery positive, even after the City kit clone. I think I was even mocking that keep the red and white campaign at the start. 

But going to the bare bones. Really says it all when a thread like this is created, let alone on more than one occasion. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Oh I'm not going, just dont want to give them money anymore until they let Melbourne City be Melbourne City. Its quite a hypocritical turnaround. My posts around the take over were veeeery positive, even after the City kit clone. I think I was even mocking that keep the red and white campaign at the start

But going to the bare bones. Really says it all when a thread like this is created, let alone on more than one occasion. 

You certainly were. IIRC even arguing that we had retained the colour white... So, do we welcome you back?