Melbourne Football

The NRL thread

danepak

Any NRL fans in here?

Fantastic game to kick off the season (Newcastle 14 - St George 15).

Edge of the seat action as usual.

Hoping for another NZ Warriors grand final spot - but this time as the winner.

Edited by jw1739

Not a massive fan but I keep an eye on things...

I supported Manly because of a mates dad, being a kid in Melbourne I had no idea what being a Manly supporter meant.

It's kind of relevant now because my family live 5 mins from the place.

Also support the Cessnock Goannas' - the local Newy League team near my family's farm.

I'm a relatively keen South Sydney Rabbitohs fan.

Didn't see the game last night but heard it was pretty epic.

This competition is a really tight and tough comp, no easy games in the NRL, bit like the EPL

It is indeed a tight (and great) competition.

One sad thing about it is when teams like Rabbitohs plays at the ANZ Stadium in front of less than 10k.

Stadium seems totally empty, when it can hold over 80k.

Much better if they played in a smaller ground like some of the other Sydney teams do (yes, I'm aware that Manly, Parramatta and Wests also have a few home games at the ANZ).

But it's great that the teams all have their own stadiums.

One of the downsides of the AFL is that all Melbourne games are played at the G or Etihad (I know that their own old grounds would be too small to hold the huge amount of spectators).

No away days, unless you go interstate :(

One sad thing about it is when teams like Rabbitohs plays at the ANZ Stadium in front of less than 10k.

Much better if they played in a smaller ground like some of the other Sydney teams do (yes, I'm aware that Manly, Parramatta and Wests also have a few home games at the ANZ).

I must admit I would love to see Souths play at Redfern or even the SFS, considering most our fans live in the Southern areas and not in western Sydney, where Homebush is.

I reckon we can have a solid season this year, hopefully finals

• Like 1

One of the downsides of the AFL is that all Melbourne games are played at the G or Etihad (I know that their own old grounds would be too small to hold the huge amount of spectators).

No away days, unless you go interstate :(

Agree with you 100% - Thats one of the reasons I like following things like VFA, VPL and the WAFL when I lived in Perth as a student.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Stoked the Warriors could push the premiers till the final seconds, even if it was over the ditch. Vatuvei and Locke had relatively average games, but Shaun Johnson looks tuned and ready to tear shit up again. Konrad Hurrell on debut tore it to shreds, needs to steal the title of mini beast this season.

Have high hopes for the boys from the mount this season. Hopefully deep into finals and something show for it this season.

Loving this season's heritage jersey. :P

0d505dc190be049fba23.jpeg

Edited by Woody

Stoked the Warriors could push the premiers till the final seconds, even if it was over the ditch. Vatuvei and Locke had relatively average games, but Shaun Johnson looks tuned and ready to tear shit up again. Konrad Hurrell on debut tore it to shreds, needs to steal the title of mini beast this season.

Have high hopes for the boys from the mount this season. Hopefully deep into finals and something show for it this season.

Loving this season's heritage jersey this season. :P

0d505dc190be049fba23.jpeg

But what is it with NZ rugby league and Eden Park?

Neither the Kiwis or the Warriors can seem to win there.

Edited by danepak

Warriors generally play fairly strong teams when there. Reigning premiers and an Eels side when at their peak. The Kiwis are just rancid unless against the Aussies, in which case they are better than average.

Really getting pumped up for this season. Strangely looking forward to it more than the coming AFL season.

NRL went to shit after 2001.

It used to be an artform, now it's fucking abstract fart. The kits are gay and tight, no more mark tookie etc... The characters that made the game beautiful just aren't there anymore.

Just shit.

No one will be better than Joey Johns.

Little to nothing will top that first round.

Still can't tip an eventual premier, only get as close as 5 teams. Really pumped for this weekends footy with 4 days off as well.

- Manly to edge Wests in the game of the round. Real indicator on who's going to be this seasons favourite even this early after the 80.

- Broncos to pump the Cowboys, Cowboys look rotten with JT out of position.

- Pumped up Titans list to do the Raiders. Jamal Idris is looking supreme early.

- Dogs to get dropped by the red V. Morris V Morris - always entertaining. Pissed that Pritchard is missing.

- Quick improving Sharks to wait another week to snap their losing streak with the Knights getting an away win. Hope Carney and Gallen don't have to carry the team all year.

- Roosters to do the Panthers. Pearce and Anasta to thrive with Mortimer off the bench.

- Bunnies to come close to the Storm. Souths have to be over the cap with the quality on their list. It's insane, Finals for them this year.

- Warriors to edge the Eels away. Let's Hope it's Manu's good half running onto the field on Monday. Feed the beast.

Popping twenty on the 8.

• 2 weeks later...

Why are the Sunday games typically played at 2pm and 3pm?

Why not 2pm and 4pm or 1pm and 3pm?

I know that one game is on Fox and the other on 9, but wouldn't both channels be interested in having the max amount of viewers?

By having part of the games played at the same time, they force the viewers to choose (and they both lose viewers).

Am I missing something here?

Another example, this time the A-League:

Week 24, Saturday 17 March.

5.30pm Central Coast v Adelaide

5.30pm Newcastle v Brisbane

Why??? It was on an effing Saturday.

Why not 3.30pm and 5.30pm or 5.30pm and 7.30pm?

Why annoy the viewers, who could have enjoyed two live games with the top two teams on the ladder, but now instead have to pick which one they want to watch live?

Edited by danepak

5/5 for the boys from Melbourne-town.

Horrible fadeaway by the lads in purple in the last 15mins. Let the Knights put 12 odd points on to end with a very flattering scoreline of 34-22. Even Cam Smith came out and had a crack at his team mates for not closing out the game properly which is incredibly rare for Smith.

Billy Slater has hit a form slump. Only got one this week. :D

Hard game against the inform Cock-Sucking-Cowboys this week. That said, their injury list is horrible atm so hopefully the lads can get one over on em.

Could honestly be the week you guys come un stuck, still backed you how ever.

Taumalolo the new guy, Thurstan the star of today and Bowen winding back the clock equates to some really good footy from the Reverse Cowgirls.

Make or break game for the Warriors. Not exactly pulling it out of the fire if we get the win, but with Locke out and Fish looking like one of the "too good for NSw and not good enough for First grade type players" it would be a good win. Although the Rade hers are severely undermanned after adding White to their list of starting XIII players out of action.