Melbourne Football

Round 4: 'Do we really have to do this again mum?' V Welly @ AAMI Friday 7:50pm

Dylan

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

I agree with your post except no one taking notice of other teams setting up and the crowd being ok. 

I am curious though as to what last night gives you hope for..? 

Yeah I guess it's a bit of a generalisation re the forum, just so much crap spun on here it gets a bit deflating.

I'm hopeful that the season will not be a waste, which is what I was feeling last week. Despite how good Sydney are, I still don't believe they are a shoe-in. In fact, I think like any team this season, they're very beatable. I'd personally like to see 2 CDMs, but last night's setup of McGree and Berenguer in central positions worked well - and I think Baccus has been huge also so far. I loved seeing Wales get forward and taking defenders. We need this sort of player which is why I'm eagerly awaiting the return of O'Halloran as I believe he is the X Factor this team needs.

So yeah forever the optimist, the changes in style, personnel and urgency of the players to move the ball on quickly last night has given me hope that we can still win the thing this season. After all, we're sitting on a 2-1-1 record near the top of the pile and we still haven't hit our straps yet.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Actually Baccus did lose the ball several times last night with some uncharacteristic sloppy turnovers.

I prefer Baccus over Brattan, simply because I rate Brattan overall as the more talented of the two yet their effect on the game is pretty much equivalent, meaning IMO that Brattan doesn't play up to the level he should.

What puzzles me is that Joyce is very willing to play Baccus, and yet he froze Kilkenny out of the club.

Baccus is of course a welcome contribution but it’s a mystery why we got him. Griffiths is hand picked and not played. When Malik is fit again another Wazza favourite, it’s going to be interesting - are we releasing Griffiths, keep Baccus?

18 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Baccus is of course a welcome contribution but it’s a mystery why we got him. Griffiths is hand picked and not played. When Malik is fit again another Wazza favourite, it’s going to be interesting - are we releasing Griffiths, keep Baccus?

No idea. I think it raises the question as to who exactly decides who we sign - does Joyce have the final say on signings or is it Petrillo or even someone else, and then Joyce has to work with who he's got? There can't be too many players like Baccus who have walked into the club under Joyce and played the next match - everyone else seems to have to serve a "Joyce apprenticeship" before they're allowed anywhere near the match team-sheet.

Edited by jw1739

9 minutes ago, citypool said:

Does the seagulls piss anyone else off?

Yes. Last night the worst I can remember. Really detracted from the viewing spectacle - I wonder whether they distract the players? I'd have said it's not acceptable for a league of the status of the A-League.

2 hours ago, rass said:

Yeah I guess it's a bit of a generalisation re the forum, just so much crap spun on here it gets a bit deflating.

I'm hopeful that the season will not be a waste, which is what I was feeling last week. Despite how good Sydney are, I still don't believe they are a shoe-in. In fact, I think like any team this season, they're very beatable. I'd personally like to see 2 CDMs, but last night's setup of McGree and Berenguer in central positions worked well - and I think Baccus has been huge also so far. I loved seeing Wales get forward and taking defenders. We need this sort of player which is why I'm eagerly awaiting the return of O'Halloran as I believe he is the X Factor this team needs.

So yeah forever the optimist, the changes in style, personnel and urgency of the players to move the ball on quickly last night has given me hope that we can still win the thing this season. After all, we're sitting on a 2-1-1 record near the top of the pile and we still haven't hit our straps yet.

I think right there is where we differ. I see myself as being a realist (in my own opinion that is). I think the response from management and staff last night was good. One of those games that is needed to make anything of this season. But I want to see more from us than beating a completely underwhelming Wellington before I'm optimistic about even remaining near the top of  the pile let alone winning the thing this season. 

• Like 1

Just caught up with the replay of this game. 3 points, some crackers on goal, work still to do. But got excited about the possibilities of this man embrace at the end.

31977665108_e0b91f6a89_k.jpg

I reckon Krishna would give us something like what we had with Novillo. He loves to attack and have a crack and these two could have a great on field partnership. We've spent a visa position on Florin Berenguer when I reckon we'd get more value out of Roy Krishna.

1 hour ago, HEARTinator said:

Just caught up with the replay of this game. 3 points, some crackers on goal, work still to do. But got excited about the possibilities of this man embrace at the end.

I reckon Krishna would give us something like what we had with Novillo. He loves to attack and have a crack and these two could have a great on field partnership. We've spent a visa position on Florin Berenguer when I reckon we'd get more value out of Roy Krishna.

Krishna would be decent in a good team... whether we are a good team is another story

2 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

Krishna is a player we lack but hard to judge Florin too harshly after he has just played his best game as a number 10 !

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

An unthinkable alternative explanation is that Bruno might move to Wellington at the end of this season...

Another and more palatable possibility - is Krishna a better proposition than O'Halloran?

Edited by jw1739
  • Haha 1