Melbourne Football

Round 3: Sydney FC - 7:50pm AEST - AAMI Park

haz

I mean, Pauly Retre has just put on a clinic against us. Pauly Retre! Even when we were propping up the table in the final Heart days, he was nothing more than a squaddie and probably the only reason he was on the squad at all was that he could provide depth in a few different roles.

Another in a seemingly never ending list of completely underwhelming City players who somehow becomes a quality player almost immediately after he left Melbourne. 

Speaking of the final Heart days, tonight was a bit of a throwback, when I was barracking for our shots to go wide and not trouble Redmayne. Once it was clear we hadn't shown up, I didn't want some meaningless consolation goal to allow our players to talk about how unlucky they were. When they put in a collective effort like that, I want them to get utterly shellacked.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 3

Just now, SF33 said:

I mean, Pauly Retre has just put on a clinic against us. Pauly Retre! Even when we were propping up the table in the final Heart days, he was nothing more than a squaddie and probably the only reason he was on the squad at all was that he could provide depth in a few different roles.

Another in a seemingly never ending list of completely underwhelming City players who somehow becomes a quality player almost immediately after he left Melbourne. 

We gave him so much space, we had such poor shape, we played a high line, but with large gaps between our lines. Even Usain Bolt would have looked like Messi

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

we seemingly have spent so much on defense, no creativity at all...and cant defend!

Alarm bells should be going off left, right and center at sleepy hollow, Bundoora. Watch em do nothing.

Said this last week. Klaxons should be going red alert. Our season is heading down the pan, and that has much bigger ramifications in terms of the survival and long term success of this club. Remind me how far we've come since the Heart days? 

38 minutes ago, SF33 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Redmayne now has more clean sheets playing against City for Sydney FC than he did in two years as the 'shot stopper' (as Brenton Speed put it, I assume an ironic reference) for Heart/City.

Will there ever be a line in the sand moment with these fuckwits? Jamieson sums it up in his post-match "It's only the third game, if Dario's chance had gone in it would have been a different game...blah...blah...blah," it's the same old crap and it's embarrassing. Outcoached and outworked by a team who wanted it more, even though they were banged up, and playing their third game in a week, their second in three days on the road.

Don't they ever get sick of being made to look like amateurs against Sydney? Once again, they embarrass themselves and then it's laughs and hugs after the game. It's unacceptable.

They should have looked as gutted as we feel. But they don't, and that's unacceptable. They don't care. 

• Like 2

Is it shit coaches or just an overall culture of losing that holds us back? The trajectory looked good st some point, when we had just won the FFA Cup, but the winning mentality just didn’t last. 

Our tactics are rubbish, our squad looks completely unbalanced (how many attacking midfielders do we really need?), and the mentality is weak. There was no aggression tonight and no fucking plan B.

So disappointing.

Edited by benzema23
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Said this last week. Klaxons should be going red alert. Our season is heading down the pan, and that has much bigger ramifications in terms of the survival and long term success of this club. Remind me how far we've come since the Heart days? 

Well, on this performance we won't be finishing above the smurfs nor will we beat them in a final

1 minute ago, benzema23 said:

Is shot coaches or just an overall culture of losing that holds us back? The trajectory looked good st some point, when we had just won the FFA Cup, but the winning mentality just didn’t last. 

Our tactics are rubbish, our squad looks completely unbalanced (how many attacking midfielders do we really need?), and the mentality is weak. There was no aggression tonight and no fucking plan B.

So disappointing.

There was no Plan A

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fensaddler said:

They should have looked as gutted as we feel. But they don't, and that's unacceptable. They don't care. 

Funnily enough, considering his sometimes casual demeanour on the field, the only player who I've seen consistently bring the goods in a post-match interview after a performance like that, to actually look filthy about the effort, like it means something to him, is Brattan.

The rest of them have either used that platform to abuse the referee (Neil Kilkenny) or give it the tried and true: "Yeah, we were a bit unlucky, if that one half chance we created in 90 minutes had gone in, it might have been different" (every other player and most of the coaches we've had).

Just got back from the game.  Biggest waste of 24$ for a concession ticket.

My takes:

Florian could go down as the worst visa we have ever signed.

No creativity, no attacking space, no intensity.

full backs cant cross for shite and we always seem to be forcing it to them when we are in front of goal - go figure.

delbridge is good defensively, but couldn't hit a barn door if it were two meters in front of him.

Same with galekovic, worst distribution i have ever seen from a pro keeper.  Redmayne was just as bad though.

Bort is too good for this team. Doubt he will stay after this season.  Baccus the only one out there that looked like he could play with the ball (and he gets taken off LMAO).  Mcgree puts in a shift, but its mostly just hot air.

Pulling my hair out.  Sydney looked in a different league to us.  And they played a final midweek shit!  We have the longest preseason in the world, and we put up that shit.

5 minutes ago, benzema23 said:

Is it shit coaches or just an overall culture of losing that holds us back? The trajectory looked good st some point, when we had just won the FFA Cup, but the winning mentality just didn’t last. 

So disappointing.

Completely outcoached tonight and we pretty regularly look like we're not matching the opposition's motivation, that we haven't "come to play". That's on the coaching staff, I'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven’t posted for a while. 

I will say it again. Season is over.

have it an good authority that Beurenger was out to 4am this morning 

Culture of the club is at an all time low. 

Been a member from day one (Heart) and tonight I sat there watching the game and lost interest after the end of the first half. My passion and interest for the club is almost gone. Will not be renewing my membership next season . I’m out. Same shit every season. 

Edited by Heart of Melbourne
  • Like 4

Forget today

IMPROVEMENTS ASAP  

When Attacking

- attackers need to stay wide when attacking and expect to run behind when a through ball is being made

- when possession is regained, wingers and strikers (our only striker) needddddddd to get away from defenders who are man marking, and like today if you don’t ...you’ll end up losing the ball from an interception that’s being asked for 

- wingers what’s the point of cutting inside if you’re just going to pass it back...here’s an option run wide, feed inside 

- CAM CDM ST and free wingers

run in box when the ball crossed

- passes need to be pinpoint and positioning needs to improve

- SPREADDDDD OUT, yr 7 Soccer school program sht 

- we have a ST issue, I miss the old Bruno ...goodbye golden boot if he doesn’t score before rd 5

only positive from him is his hold up play, but ends up losing it most of the time 

When Defending 

- Man mark , common sense 

- Pressure Onnnnnnnnn

- why are we not intercepting

why are we dropping back and giving our opponents too much space 

And WHY in the world are we short passing when the ball is in OUR box

theres just so many things that made no sense out there tonight 

12,000 plus attendance, should’ve could’ve been a great way to start our first home game...let’s hope the boys figure something out behind closed doors for our next home game 

Impressed by Baccus

Not impressed by Florian

1 minute ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Hahaha he looks like the sort of guy that would sit inside all day.

Just now, thisphantomfortress said:

Time to burn this mother fucker to the ground I say. Get ya torches and ya pitch forks. Let's unite and march on the CFA! 

Ill bring my horse, Schofield Revolver, and classic oatcakes

• Like 2

1 hour ago, citypool said:

I actually thought delbridge did alright 

Teams lay off him knowing he can’t pass the ball and wait for his inevitable turn over. The guy is somewhat competent at defending, but he is a liability by foot if we insist on playing out from the back. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Completely outcoached tonight and we pretty regularly look like we're not matching the opposition's motivation, that we haven't "come to play". That's on the coaching staff, I'm afraid.

Well I’ve said it before but the Pissants provided us with the template to beat SFC. Get in the their faces, high tempo, don’t give those shits a chance. What happened? They allowed us to have the ball and we were slow in the build up, kicked sideways, never really looked threatening. They laughed at our bullshit tactics. Tonight was all about our tactics and Joyce’s management of the side. FAIL. Marco Kurz would have torn our players to shreds at half time and we would have seen an increase in intensity. Fcuk me that was dire  :hkpalm:

Great crowd, pity many won’t be coming back anytime soon.

Edited by HEARTinator

They sad thing is, that with this squad I can’t see how we are going to play any differently. Maybe some youth players might bring some sparks.

Have we made a mistake by bringing in a marquee fullback? It certainly stops Atkinson’s development plus we seem to need this extra qualify elsewhere.

Have we just signed De Leat because he was available just like Baccus without actually looking at what our really squad needs?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

They sad thing is, that with this squad I can’t see how we are going to play any differently. Maybe some youth players might bring some sparks.

Have we made a mistake by bringing in a marquee fullback? It certainly stops Atkinson’s development plus we seem to need this extra qualify elsewhere.

Have we just signed De Leat because he was available just like Baccus without actually looking at what our really squad needs?

Baccus has been one of our best signings Imo

1 hour ago, citypool said:

I actually thought delbridge did alright 

Took a mate who occasionally watches A-League on Fox. Fair to say he won’t be rushing back for another game. 

On another note why the hell is an adult GA ticket $30? No wonder no one wants to come to our matches

This is the match report from theroar.com.au  https://www.theroar.com.au/soccer/live-score/melbourne-city-vs-sydney-fc-a-league-live-scores-blog-692429/

MATCH REPORT

A convincing win for Sydney FC here at AAMI Park, with the 3-0 scoreline a fitting one. Almost from the first minute Sydney managed this game to perfection, taking control of both wings while closing down the middle of the park. Marquee striker Adam leFondre continued his fantastic A-League start, showcasing his guile and class by scoring two of Sydney’s goals. Both goals were taken on the end of some excellent team build-up, and he generally made life hell for the City centrebacks, popping up on both flanks at times and also making runs off their shoulders.

The early damage was done by Zullo and Ninkovic on the left, with Riley McGree – notionally City’s right midfielder – not providing any defensive cover. Indeed City’s tactical approach to this game was confusing from the start and invited Ninkovic and Zullo into miles of space to work in. Despite this the opening goal game from Sydney’s right, where Grant and Retre combined to tap the opener past Galekovic. Indeed Grant and Retre combined brilliantly for most of the night. Grant was a constant threat for the full 90 with his muscular runs, and Retre was having the game of his life as the overload option, scoring the first goal and setting up the second. 

City’s lack of defensive pressure on both wings allowed Sydney to easily play through their lacklustre press, and also let Brillante and O’Neill have a cruisy night in the middle of the park. Both sat quite deep – especially in the second half – and choked any space that City would have hoped to play though. 

Indeed with their legs weary after the midweek FFA Cup final, Sydney opted to give the ball to City in the second half with the confidence that wouldn’t have many real threats posed. Besides a weak Dario Vidosic header from a free kick – which really should have equalised – City were toothless and ineffective all night and allowed Sydney to slow the pace of the game down.

The stats flatter City, who had 60% possession, 200+ more passes and 9 shots. But a lot of this work was done by the back 4, hoping in vain for a passing lane to open up to Fornaroli. Sadly, this just didn’t happen. Confounding matters for City were the number of key men who had poor games. Luke Brattan, their most experienced and arguably most talented midfielder, was non-existent and taken off after an hour. Dario Vidosic was busy and should have scored, but offered nothing of real substance and Baccus offered precious little on the ball. McGree worked hard but looked down on form and confidence. Last season this Joyce’s City team relied heavily on Daniel Arzani in transition to make things happen. It seems that job this year is Riley McGree’s…. who is a bright talent but not one as incandescent as Arzani (who all our fingers are crossed for). McGree had no support in the middle tonight and Joyce needs to find a structure that doesn’t rely so heavily on one player to make things happen.

2 hours ago, haz said:

Think that was Mcgree with the mistake

Ahhh apologies, i thought it was De Laet from where I was standing. Just such a dumb thing to try and dribble out of there.

In anycase, that was probably the worst performance I've ever seen from us. We played exactly how Sydney wanted us to play. That second half especially - Fuk me... Jogged around the park like we were 2-0 up, completely bereft of ideas.

And the saddest thing is we had such a wonderful crowd and atmosphere going. What an opportunity to finally gain some traction and we dished up that garbage.

I'm usually so positive about us but I saw nothing tonight and think it was truly a dark night for the club. Who the Fuk woukd want to come again and watch us when we were so lifeless.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Haven’t posted for a while. 

I will say it again. Season is over.

Culture of the club is at an all time low. 

Been a member from day one (Heart) and tonight I sat there watching the game and lost interest after the end of the first half. My passion and interest for the club is almost gone. Will not be renewing my membership next season . I’m out. Same shit every season. 

First home game is a touch early to be talking about not renewing I would have thought. Do tell about this frenchman being our till 4am though 

Good decision to go see killswitch engage and parkway drive instead 

Absolutely pathetic result. They’re coming off a derby and a fucking cup final in a week. 

Oddly I feel excited, club in a mini crisis after mediocrity. Strugglers coming next Friday. It’s like the aloisi days. Let’s get feral 

First game I've been to since the 2016/17 season and now I remember just why I stopped going.  

Worst 90 minutes of football I've ever seen, and to make it worse I brought a mate along for his first City home game and probably his last based on that effort. 

Bring on Team 11 pls