Melbourne Football

Round 2 Usain Bolt Derby Sat 27 Oct @ 5:30pm Away

Dylan

16 hours ago, Tangerine said:

I'd start La Rocca over Delbridge. He's got years of A-league experience. If he can get through 90 last week he can do it this week. Don't know why you'd preference a guy who's essentially still a rookie. The rest of @bt50's team looks good.

I think all things being equal then i would too, however LaRocca is still pretty underdone in terms of game time etc and in fairness to RoboCop, he's played pretty bloody well and barely put a foot wrong since the end of last season so it'd be a bit unfair to drop him. Being pushed into LB, which imo doesnt suit him and doing a reasonable job v Honda with no fuss is pretty admirable from a coaches perspective.

I think Joyce is most likely to see it this way too tbh given his mantra of if you play well you keep your spot.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think all things being equal then i would too, however LaRocca is still pretty underdone in terms of game time etc and in fairness to RoboCop, he's played pretty bloody well and barely put a foot wrong since the end of last season so it'd be a bit unfair to drop him. Being pushed into LB, which imo doesnt suit him and doing a reasonable job v Honda with no fuss is pretty admirable from a coaches perspective.

I think Joyce is most likely to see it this way too tbh given his mantra of if you play well you keep your spot.

Also reckon LaRocca might be a bit flat 2nd up and away.

10 hours ago, bt50 said:

If you play well you keep your spit.  If this is true then it should be the same back 4. No one can say they were not excellent. The excuse of fitness is only an excuse to bench him. He was fit enough to give a good performance last week. With modern recovery methods, he will be just as fit to give the same performance this week. Players get better and fitter after each game not worse. 

2 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

If you play well you keep your spit.  If this is true then it should be the same back 4. No one can say they were not excellent. The excuse of fitness is only an excuse to bench him. He was fit enough to give a good performance last week. With modern recovery methods, he will be just as fit to give the same performance this week. Players get better and fitter after each game not worse. 

I think playing players out of position should be the exception, unless absolutely boss that position. 

Just because delbridge played reasonable at LB does not mean we should keep playing a CB there.

14 minutes ago, malloy said:

I think playing players out of position should be the exception, unless absolutely boss that position. 

Just because delbridge played reasonable at LB does not mean we should keep playing a CB there.

I do not disagree. However in modern day football, you will find players are coached to play center back and full back. It is not unusual to see a player playing full back one week and centre back the next. During a game it helps if a coach wants to change from 4 at the back, to 3 at the back if players can play both positions. Therefore is Joyce coaching Delbridge to play both positions? As I said he played well there against one of the top teams away to Victory and I do not think anyone will disagree. However my point was "play well and keep your spot" La Rocca did that therefore he should he keep his spot.  

14 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

I do not disagree. However in modern day football, you will find players are coached to play center back and full back. It is not unusual to see a player playing full back one week and centre back the next. During a game it helps if a coach wants to change from 4 at the back, to 3 at the back if players can play both positions. Therefore is Joyce coaching Delbridge to play both positions? As I said he played well there against one of the top teams away to Victory and I do not think anyone will disagree. However my point was "play well and keep your spot" La Rocca did that therefore he should he keep his spot.  

Delbridge is fine as a LB defensively but does not offer a lot going forward in the way of creative passes 

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That's one hell of a match day squad - we really ought to win this today.

Bacus must be our latest signing...

Yes, we should win it easily. This is a good test of whether we have the new hard Melbourne City or yet another season of the detumescent Melbourne City. This is exactly the sort of game we'd always lose, and to a goal from someone like Ross

4 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Yes, we should win it easily. This is a good test of whether we have the new hard Melbourne City or yet another season of the detumescent Melbourne City. This is exactly the sort of game we'd always lose, and to a goal from someone like Ross

So this game will determine where we are at?

16 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

So this game will determine where we are at?

Of course not entirely, however in seasons past this is exactly the sort of game that we'd lose. Winning it, and going into a difficult first home game next week is a whole different kettle of fish that losing it and possibly starting another of those 3 game losing streaks that we've had so consistently in seasons past. How many times have we lost these sort of games we are expected to win?

I'm a realist, show me that we've changed and I'll gladly believe it. I'm not into faith.

Edited by belaguttman

Just now, Inchcolm said:

One game does not define a season a run of wins will indicate how we are progressing. Sometimes a team can play well and lose. Today is another game trying to put a sequence of wins together

We say this exact thing right up until our final game of the season....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

One game does not define a season a run of wins will indicate how we are progressing. Sometimes a team can play well and lose. Today is another game trying to put a sequence of wins together

Actually, I think that what would change our season is avoiding a run of losses. If you look at past seasons, it's been rare for us to have a single loss and to bounce back with a win