Melbourne Football

Round 2 Usain Bolt Derby Sat 27 Oct @ 5:30pm Away

Dylan

27 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

McGree to start over Caceres only change for me. 

Unless Jamo is 100% fit

Agree with this. Tough call between La Rocca or Delbridge though if he's fit. I'd give Florin another crack, but Dario is a reasonable chance too.

• Like 1

A couple of major decisions for Joyce in this game. Against Victory the team were excellent. I believe he will revert to his chosen back 4 and LaRocca will miss out. McGree should start unless he wants to field a more defensive midfield, which may be his intention when we play away from home.

His last decision does he persevere with Berenguer or replace him. I think he will give him a couple of more games to prove himself. However, I said when we signed him, I thought a that A league players would be better than a 2 division French league player. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simo said:

I just hope they don’t get complacent bc it always happens with us and we lose the next 3 games

We have won for the last 2 seasons the first 2 games and in both occasions against the tards. Statistically we are odds on this week. We turn to shit after round 2 and 4 respectively and remain shit for a good few weeks,  but round 2 is when any decent Melbourne City supporter starts taking the rest of the season we just find reasons why we suck. Enjoy it today and tomorrow and basically until we lose again. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Keep Mcgree in the bench ?

I would prefer to start Mcgree over Caceres but also wary of making too many changes, especially after a win. Eventually I think Griffiths should start instead of Baccus but that can wait, as Baccus actually played pretty well.

So Jamo comes back in. Would hate to lose D Laet from RB position - not just his defensive work but offensive is special too. The blokes work rate is quality.

Basically, Delbo, Bort at CB with Jamo on the right. Just make sure we dont give Ross the Boss a free shot and I cannot see them scoring with that defence. 

Bratts has to stay. MCree should start - feel bad for Baccus who pulled a good shift. Having said that - Warren always says if you play well you stay. I reckon he will start Mcree on the bench again.

Wales sub for Vidosic. 

We should be good for 3-0

47 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

So Jamo comes back in. Would hate to lose D Laet from RB position - not just his defensive work but offensive is special too. The blokes work rate is quality.

Basically, Delbo, Bort at CB with Jamo on the right. Just make sure we dont give Ross the Boss a free shot and I cannot see them scoring with that defence. 

Bratts has to stay. MCree should start - feel bad for Baccus who pulled a good shift. Having said that - Warren always says if you play well you stay. I reckon he will start Mcree on the bench again.

Wales sub for Vidosic. 

We should be good for 3-0

Doesn't Jamo play on the left? There is no way that Deleat will dropped.

We will go back to our trained setup, Jamieson - Delbridge - Bart - De Leat

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

If Joyce is as many say a strong believer in train well, play well and you keep you place there will very few changes. In my opinion the only two that did not play well are Wales and Berenguer.

However LaRocca will be replaced which kills that guarantee, train well, play well and you keep you place .

7 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

If Joyce is as many say a strong believer in train well, play well and you keep you place there will very few changes. In my opinion the only two that did not play well are Wales and Berenguer.

However LaRocca will be replaced which kills that guarantee, train well, play well and you keep you place .

Wazza also said that he has had no pre-season and had not played a game since February. If you play him you risk injuring him again.

12 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Wazza also said that he has had no pre-season and had not played a game since February. If you play him you risk injuring him again.

Don't buy the injury scare, it's a smoke screen. He played him for 90 mins no trace of an injury. Nor did he look tired. If he can turn in that performance against Victory away from home, he can certainly do it again against CCM. Joyce wants to play his captain. Even if LaRocca was man of the match, I believe, he would still miss out as Joyce wants to play his chosen back 4, the 4 he has played, for almost all of pre-season.

Jamieson had a slight hamstring injury. In theory, he could be risking injuring him again by playing him so soon after his recovery. It's all ifs. I would play my best team.

23 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

Don't buy the injury scare, it's a smoke screen. He played him for 90 mins no trace of an injury. Nor did he look tired. If he can turn in that performance against Victory away from home, he can certainly do it again against CCM. Joyce wants to play his captain. Even if LaRocca was man of the match, I believe, he would still miss out as Joyce wants to play his chosen back 4, the 4 he has played, for almost all of pre-season.

Jamieson had a slight hamstring injury. In theory, he could be risking injuring him again by playing him so soon after his recovery. It's all ifs. I would play my best team.

Imo Delbridge should be the one dropped, not sure it will happen though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I reckon La Rocca will be sore as fuck given he hassnt played in almost a year

Not so sure. He has been training,  its not like he just rocked up Saturday and somebody asked him if he had his boots. Given he is not our 1st choice CB he is a pretty decent 2nd/3rd choice and he will see game time this season. 

Match preview: Central Coast Mariners v Melbourne City

Oct 24, 2018

The Mariners will play their first match in front of their home fans this season against in-form Melbourne City on Saturday afternoon.

There was a lot to like about how Central Coast went in grabbing a draw against Brisbane last weekend, defending stoutly and looking dangerous on the break.

And in striker Ross McCormack, they have a player who will be extremely motivated to perform against his former club.

Mike Mulvey’s side will get an excellent test of their finals credentials against a City side riding high on the back of their Melbourne Derby win.

A fast-start is likely to be crucial with the last five matches at Central Coast Stadium all being won by the team leading at half-time.

KEY OPTA STATS

• City are undefeated in their last nine matches against Central Coast, their best current undefeated streak against any team in the Hyundai A-League.
  • The Mariners have scored six goals in their last three games against City at home; but have not won any of these games (D2, L1).
  • City will be chasing back-to-back away wins for the first time since October 2017, after coming up trumps against Victory last weekend.

WHAT THEY SAID

“We need to perform well and make them want to come and see us and support us. What’s important to me is we’ve got a good group of players, very competitive team in terms of what we are trying to achieve." - Mariners defender Kalifa Cisse

“It will be a strange one running out there. I’ll have a lot of family and friends out there supporting me and I’ll be playing against a few of my close mates as well. – [ex-Mariners] and now City attacker Lachlan Wales

INS AND OUTS

Squad news to be announced on Thursday

FORM

Central Coast Mariners: D

Melbourne City: W

Jamieson, Vidosic on track for Melb City

OCTOBER 24 2018 - 4:26PM

Ben McKay

Melbourne City are confident of regaining key players this weekend as they look to hold onto top spot on the A-League ladder.

City are looking to consolidate their 2-1 derby defeat of arch-rivals Melbourne Victory - achieved with 12 players missing due to injury, illness and unavailability - with a win at Central Coast on Saturday.

The good news for Warren Joyce's side is they will regain left-back Scott Jamieson and attacking threat Dario Vidosic for the trip.

Jamieson was a touch-and-go proposition for the derby, with club medicos recommending not to take the risk on their skipper in the opening game of a long season.

Vidosic reported sick and is on track to return to full fitness for Saturday's game in Gosford.

The pair's absence led to Joyce naming virtual unknowns Idrus Abdulahi, just 15, and Anthony Lesiotis, 18, on the bench against Victory.

Lesiotis made his A-League debut as a late substitute for Lachlan Wales with Abdulahi spared a run-out which would have made him the youngest player in A-League history.

The bad news is Osama Malik, a virtual ever-present for City last term, is likely to be missing for the next fortnight and possibly longer.

The utility has a calf injury, making him a longer-term proposition along with Curtis Good and Michael O'Halloran.

Good is viewed as a project player by City after enduring consecutive seasons ruined by serious injuries while based overseas with Newcastle United.

O'Halloran has a hamstring injury and is being prepared for a return around Christmas.

City and Wellington were the only winners from the opening round of matches and both face tricky away dates this weekend.

City play the Mariners - complete with ex-City striker Ross McCormack - who are fresh off a 1-1 draw with Brisbane, who are the Nix's opponents on Sunday.

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5720968/jamieson-vidosic-on-track-for-melb-city/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Melbourne City are confident of regaining key players this weekend as they look to hold onto top spot on the A-League ladder.

City are looking to consolidate their 2-1 derby defeat of arch-rivals Melbourne Victory - achieved with 12 players missing due to injury, illness and unavailability - with a win at Central Coast on Saturday.

The good news for Warren Joyce's side is they will regain left-back Scott Jamieson and attacking threat Dario Vidosic for the trip.

We shouldn't under estimate CCM. But with Jamieson, Vidosic and maybe McGree starting, there should be no excuses for not finishing with a solid win after 90 mins

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, haz said:

We shouldn't under estimate CCM. But with Jamieson, Vidosic and maybe McGree starting, there should be no excuses for not finishing with a solid win after 90 mins

Jamo in La Rocca out (with Jamo going to LB and Delbridge coming across to CB)
McGree in and Caceres out

Vidosic seems like the trickier one for me. I'm not sure Wazza is going to want to change a winning team too drastically. What we've learned from him over his first season is he won't always play the best team on paper, he'll play who he best believes is going to win the game. I do agree though, there is no reason we shouldn't win this game. If we want to go far this season these are the games we can't afford to drop points.

Edited by IssySG
  • Like 1

Melbourne City FC Squad: 1.Mark BIRIGHITTI (Gk), 2.Ritchie De LAET, 3.Scott JAMIESON (C), 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Riley MCGREE, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 17.Anthony CACERES, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (Gk), 19.Lachlan WALES, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 39.Anthony LESIOTIS, 51.Idris ABDULAHI

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 3.Scott JAMIESON (returns from injury), 10.Dario VIDOSIC (returns from illness)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 6.Osama MALIK (calf), 11.Michael O’HALLORAN (hamstring), 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON (international duty), 36.Dylan PIERIAS (international duty), 42.James DELIANOV (international duty), 21.Ramy NAJJARINE (international duty), 38.Joshua CAVALLO (international duty), 30.Moudi NAJJAR (international duty), 34.Connor METCALFE (international duty)

Galekovic
RDL Bort   Delbridge  Jamo 
          Brattan Baccus
                McGree
Wales      Bruno   Florin

Birra, Dario, Griffiths, Caceres, La Rocca

Hard fought 1-0 win with Bruno to curl in a beauty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tangerine said:

I'd start La Rocca over Delbridge. He's got years of A-league experience. If he can get through 90 last week he can do it this week. Don't know why you'd preference a guy who's essentially still a rookie. The rest of @bt50's team looks good.

Delbridge has been there all pre season and he would have 100% been next to Bart if Jamo played. 

Also yes larocca got through one game, but he has done bugger all pre season. We don't know how long he has taken to recover etc as he doesn't have the fitness base of the rest of the squad at the moment