Melbourne Football

Welcome Kearyn Baccus

playmaker

• 2 weeks later...

Very very pleased with him so far, he is a player who you probably don't notice unless he plays for your team. Very tidy on the ball, wins tackles and screen the defence pretty well. 

Would be pretty happy if we can extend his contract to more than just an injury replacement 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, neio said:

Very very pleased with him so far, he is a player who you probably don't notice unless he plays for your team. Very tidy on the ball, wins tackles and screen the defence pretty well. 

Would be pretty happy if we can extend his contract to more than just an injury replacement 

But why the hell did we get Griffith then? Did we just get Baccus because he was available.

14 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

But why the hell did we get Griffith then? Did we just get Baccus because he was available.

I think it could be one of those odd situations where he was available due to circumstances, and he was too good to let go, especially when he is pretty much a free hit as an injury replacement. 

There was also probably not a winger who could come in and be fit and ready to go and make an immediate impact 

• 3 weeks later...

Joyce keen to keep Baccus at City

Melbourne City coach Warren Joyce has hinted he wants to keep injury-replacement signing Kearyn Baccus at the club.

The attacking-midfielder was picked up by City after Scottish signing Michael O’Halloran picked up a hamstring injury in early October.

Baccus has played in all four games so far for City and impressed coach Joyce, who is now looking at how he can keep the 27-year-old at Bundoora.

“We've just got to explore what avenues we've got,” Joyce said this morning. “He's come in and done really well, a good character and a good man.

"He's adapted to the group well and has given a good account of himself in the games he’s played.

“Even now there's still more to come from him, he's getting fitter as the weeks go by. In the last 10 days, he would've improved his fitness leading into the next few games.

“We're just exploring what we can and can't do, it's a complicated setup with injury replacements, so we're just working through what's feasible and what we can achieve.”

Joyce said O’Halloran was tracking along nicely, but was unable to give any timeframes on when the Scotsman would be available.

“He's joined in yesterday for the first full-time where there were no restrictions,” he said.

“He's had a couple of days where there has been some restrictions on what he's doing, but at least he's back on the park and leading towards full-fitness.

“It's so far, so good, for him. The medical staff have done a good job and he's eager to play and prove himself in this league.

“We're guided a bit by the medical staff as well, it's a bad injury really, he's worked hard, built up a lot of strength and done all the things he's been asked to do

“We just want to make sure when we get him back, there are no more hiccups and he's a really useful player for us between now and the end of the season.”

City travel to take on Brisbane Roar tomorrow night.

Usually it will be the salary cap restriction. My understanding is that while a player is declared "injured" by FFA then his wages do not count towards the cap because they are being paid by the insurer. As soon as he is declared "fit" by FFA then those payments cease and he is again paid by the club. Unless both Baccus and MO'H can be accommodated under the cap then Baccus has to go. Also bear in mind that PFA rules state that no player can be paid under the minimum agreed wage, so this is a further restriction on the options available to both player and club.

Mind you, the way Malik is going (or not going) perhaps Baccus could replace him...

I always find it odd that quite often injury-replacement players turn out to be better than some other players in the squad.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I always find it odd that quite often injury-replacement players turn out to be better than some other players in the squad.

TBH not very surprised at this. I think its just a case of players in, or just before their season realising that 'shit, I dont have a club' or 'shit, Im not going to get any minutes'.

• Like 1

Therefore it is possible that he could be gone in a couple of weeks as O'Halloran could be declared medically fit (not necessarily match fit) as the injury will no longer exists. I believe Baccus has been one of our better players everything possible should be done to keep him 

Edited by Inchcolm

Joyce is clearly a big fan of him, after all he walked straight into the first eleven and never looked back. Griffith was bypassed and whilst the other 22 players were still working on their fitness to compete for a spot, Baccus was a first pick.

All sarcasm aside, he seems decent and we should keep him.

A perfect scenario would be that we release Bruno and replace him with Baccus!

Edited by Mr MO

7 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Joyce is clearly a big fan of him, after all he walked straight into the first eleven and never looked back. Griffith was bypassed and whilst the other 22 players were still working on their fitness to compete for a spot, Baccus was a first pick.

All sarcasm aside, he seems decent and we should keep him.

A perfect scenario would be that we release Bruno and replace him with Baccus!

Replace Bruno with a DM please....piss the dinosaur Griffiths or Larocca or even better delbridge off ....not el tuna. 

I was reading on a Facebook page that Joyce can keep him as long as the club decides that MOH is not fit enough to play. So if he prefers him to shore up the midfield than MOH  on the wing. It could be January at the earliest before we see him. Joyce's problem MOH is ready for game time but can't give it to him because he prefers Baccus

Edited by Inchcolm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Melbourne City FC can confirm that midfielder Kearyn Baccus has signed a three-and-a-half-year deal to remain at the Club until the end of the 2021/22 season. 

The 27-year-old joined the Club in October as an injury-replacement player, becoming an integral member of Head Coach Warren Joyce’s side since the start of the season. 

Baccus has started in all eleven Hyundai A-League matches in 2018/19, making the third most passes in the competition at an impressive pass success rate of 87 per cent. 

The midfielder has provided a wealth of experience in the middle of the park, with his consistency in performance playing a key role in City’s current run of form. 

Speaking on his signing, the midfielder has outlined his intentions to continue working hard for the team and the overall goal of winning silverware for the Club. 

“It's been a big couple of months with the Club and now I’m just glad I can officially call Melbourne City home," Baccus said. 

"I’ve wanted to come for a while now and I’m happy to be here now.

“I want to win something and I think with the team that we have that that’s achievable this year, with the coach especially, anything is possible. Hopefully we can win some silverware and be there or thereabouts challenging for the title

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I like this bit:

“I want to win something and I think with the team that we have that that’s achievable this year, with the coach especially, anything is possible."

Careful what you say Kearyn.

Well scripted Joyce.

Flat out all the time memorising the script.