Melbourne Football

A-League Expansion

AlwaysHeart

On 20/11/2023 at 6:26 PM, NewConvert said:

Marconi Stallions has 36k members. Hmmm. A bit to go then.

Ā 

On 21/11/2023 at 8:57 PM, jw1739 said:

Yes, I do wonder why some compromise over the "ethnicity" issue could not have been reached by now (or do we never grow up as a nation?) and with 36,000 members, a proud history of success, and a 9,000-capacity home ground, Marconi could not have been admitted to the A-League. Instead we go for a new "club" in New Zealand with no history, no culture, no home ground and no nothing except an "investor," and immediately further complicate our league with the OFC/AFC conflict.

Are we getting out of the mire or just digging a bigger hole in it?

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't worry about it yet.

The Unite Round will be interesting though. AucklandĀ play Wellington in Sydney?Ā Another new tradition?

Do you remember at one stage we had the "Country Round" when teams had to play at a rural location? We had a matchĀ at Morwell. My wife and I went there. We got bogged in the carpark and she said if I ever took her to Morwell again she would divorce me.

I thought it prudent not to put the threat to the test.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I wouldn't worry about it yet.

The Unite Round will be interesting though. AucklandĀ play Wellington in Sydney?Ā Another new tradition?

Do you remember at one stage we had the "Country Round" when teams had to play at a rural location? We had a matchĀ at Morwell. My wife and I went there. We got bogged in the carpark and she said if I ever took her to Morwell again she would divorce me.

I thought it prudent not to put the threat to the test.

Hey - it could have been Moe!

• Haha 1

That was the "take the game to the people" era. Scott Munn seemed to be the unofficial Tourist Promotions Officer for Lismore. Didn't we play a Cup match in Ballarat as well, even a League match there? We also had a pre-season down at Morwell - vs. Newcastle?Ā  A lot has changed, hasn't it?Ā Do we still have the Blue Ribbon Cup for our home match with Sydney?

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

That was the "take the game to the people" era. Scott Munn seemed to be the unofficial Tourist Promotions Officer for Lismore. Didn't we play a Cup match in Ballarat as well, even a League match there? We also had a pre-season down at Morwell - vs. Newcastle?Ā  A lot has changed, hasn't it?Ā Do we still have the Blue Ribbon Cup for our home match with Sydney?

I am not professional archaeologist which is what I feel is needed. Dig the graves of trophies past.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I am not professional archaeologist which is what I feel is needed. Dig the graves of trophies past.

Before gathering the equipment for your dig, you could start at the Library for background reading and broken dreams? Just read all the 10-year plans that are on file.

• Haha 1