Melbourne Football

2018/19 A League Match Day Thread

mattyh001

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, haz said:

Aloisi more shit than us hahhha remember how he said WE played anti-football*!!

*His anti-football comments werent about boring play (which we do now) but more so about our constant fouling

Brisbane beat us 2-0...

The gulf between Victory and us have never been wider than it is right now.

17 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Teflon John could be in a spot of bother after this result. 4-1 loss. 4th straight loss. Has fallen out with DeVere, while his defence is a shambles. I'm lovin it!

The highlights of Phoenix v Roar are hilarious. I don't know which is funnier - The roar player in the wall moving out of the way of the ball, or Adam Taggart  forgetting how to stand upright when he was 1 v 1 with the keeper. All of Wellingtons goals were a bit unusual.

https://streamable.com/doy67

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HEARTinator said:

Half time, AU lead 1 nil over Jets. That puts us 6th on the ladder ATM.

Now 1-1.

BTW, I thought Brisbane's goal against Sydney was clearly hand-ball. Anyone else think so?

Finished 2-1 to Adelaide. We are pushed down to 6th.

Edited by jw1739

22 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Now 1-1.

BTW, I thought Brisbane's goal against Sydney was clearly hand-ball. Anyone else think so?

AU win 2-1, we're 6th tonight.

As for Brisbane's goal, I thought it was handball but it depends on the angle you view the action. Viewing the Foxpsorts video, one possibility is that Redmayne just gets a glove onto the ball which is then deflected into McKay's chest (or chest/arm) and into the goal. The second is that it hits McKay high on the left arm and is redirected into the goal. The problem with the ball hitting McKay directly on the chest and then deflecting into the goal is that he was standing pretty much square to where the ball was coming from. Very hard to redirect the ball into the goal with only your chest when you're standing square to a fast incoming ball. If the video is not absolutely clear then the refs initial decision should stand.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Perth are looking very strong indeed. IMO even Sydney and Victory are going to find it hard to catch them. Our only hope is going to be if we beat them twice at home. 

We just have to keep on winning to keep on the pace, but my current thinking is that we're going to finish 4th-6th.

• Like 2

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxMTjTPV4AAdnMc.jpg:large

Anyone else think this probably issnt offside and that the line is in the wrong spot? I just re-read the rules (which arnt super clear anyway) but looking at the examples provided in the FIFA PDF, that line should be drawn along the Wanderers shoulder closest to goal, not the feet as in the fox sports photo.

FIFA PDF  https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/5. law 11_554.pdf

Edited by Dylan

The problem with drawing lines like that is that they do not account for the movement of the players. I didn't watch the match, but I'd say that the Adelaide player looks to be more or less stationary, the Wanderers player to be moving back towards the goal. The Adelaide player is just about in line with the Wanderers player's arm...my decision would be "not offside" because I can't definitely say "offside."

My version of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle as applied to football.

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The problem with drawing lines like that is that they do not account for the movement of the players. I didn't watch the match, but I'd say that the Adelaide player looks to be more or less stationary, the Wanderers player to be moving back towards the goal. The Adelaide player is just about in line with the Wanderers player's arm...my decision would be "not offside" because I can't definitely say "offside."

My version of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle as applied to football.

Hmm i think its a clear offside tbh.

Don't think they got the pen shout wrong tho; my gut feel was penalty, but it wasnt a clear and obvious error.

This reminds me of the issue sometimes surrounding photo finishes in horse racing. Angles can be very misleading and lines can be hard to draw.

The linesman’s got the right line. I think the decision is within the margin of error and I’d accept the call either way. 

Edited by Harrison