Melbourne Football

2018/19 A League Match Day Thread

mattyh001

Post all of your thoughts here.

For those of you interested I've started a youtube channel that will contain game highlights,  game stats, goals of the round, best tackles, general funny shit, etc.  Ultimately I want to create a one stop shop on youtube with daily content (where possible) for all things A League (as well as FFA Cup, Socceroos, Matildas, etc).  As there's not much on youtube other than basic game highlights and the club's shameless self promotion channels, I'm willing to take suggestions for other videos (ie game previews, mid season transfer updates).

Feel welcome to subscribe to my channel via the link below (would be appreciated)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChpnzqREKDtY4YVdDIztZwQ

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Post all of your thoughts here.

For those of you interested I've started a youtube channel that will contain game highlights,  game stats, goals of the round, best tackles, general funny shit, etc.  Ultimately I want to create a one stop shop on youtube with daily content (where possible) for all things A League (as well as FFA Cup, Socceroos, Matildas, etc).  As there's not much on youtube other than basic game highlights and the club's shameless self promotion channels, I'm willing to take suggestions for other videos (ie game previews, mid season transfer updates).

Feel welcome to subscribe to my channel via the link below (would be appreciated)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChpnzqREKDtY4YVdDIztZwQ

Will subscribe when I get home!

If you have trouble with Copyright, use Streamable or Streamja

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, haz said:

Will subscribe when I get home!

If you have trouble with Copyright, use Streamable or Streamja

Cheers!!!!

Aim medium-long term is to have that much content that any video from Fox, etc., is so small it barely rates a mention or easily falls under fair dealing / use.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rayv36 said:

Has anyone used the myfootball app to stream any of the games so far? Im trying to decide if its worth coughing up $99 or just sticking to pirated streams

divide the amount by how many games you are expecting to watch this season. Will you be overseas at some point, hence you will need to also buy a VPN?

I wouldnt be paying any more than $2-3 per HAL game.

• Like 1

On 18/10/2018 at 0:03 PM, rayv36 said:

Has anyone used the myfootball app to stream any of the games so far? Im trying to decide if its worth coughing up $99 or just sticking to pirated streams

I've signed up for Foxtel go and will watch games that way, but then again I've got other shows I'll be watching.

I did think about the app but not sure what platforms (ie on PS4) it is available on (plus lack of access to other Fox content)

19 hours ago, haz said:

divide the amount by how many games you are expecting to watch this season. Will you be overseas at some point, hence you will need to also buy a VPN?

I wouldnt be paying any more than $2-3 per HAL game.

Think that's a really good way of seeing it.  Given how Optus went during the WC you do also have to factor in the app running shit too

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

I've signed up for Foxtel go and will watch games that way, but then again I've got other shows I'll be watching.

I did think about the app but not sure what platforms (ie on PS4) it is available on (plus lack of access to other Fox content)

Think that's a really good way of seeing it.  Given how Optus went during the WC you do also have to factor in the app running shit too

Yeah the thing thats annoying with the app is you can only stream it on your phone or tablet, but they have a $79.99 introductory offer so i reckon ill take it.

At the very least i wont have to spend 10-30 minutes hunting for a stream on virus/pop up riddled web sites.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

I wouldn't worry about the apps performance. Telstra have been streaming AFL games on the AFL app and it has had no issues that I am aware of.

10 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Don't rate either team this year to be honest. Adelaide are sooooo boring to watch.

Yep I think Newcastle will be lucky to make 5th.

They dropped heaps last season when Nabbout left, and now McGree is gone it will only be worse

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bt50 said:

Don't rate either team this year to be honest. Adelaide are sooooo boring to watch.

19 hours ago, haz said:

Yep I think Newcastle will be lucky to make 5th.

They dropped heaps last season when Nabbout left, and now McGree is gone it will only be worse

Both teams will struggle.  Neither team really added much quality to their squads this season when you compare the players they lost to the players they signed.  

Don't get me wrong, I always loved watching Jakobsen for us, I just think he's that much better than that Gulum bloke that Adelaide lost.

Was it just me or did it look like Newcastle completely switch off after they scored? They just look like they had nothing more to offer.

from the horses's mouth tonight (Chris Breath), the foul in question was for the WSW player (Sortirio) coming back from an offside position and then directly interfering with an opponent involved in the play (Zullo).

as bullshit as that might seem, if thats the case then the VAR was used correctly.

the big question to come out of all of this that VAR is causing more frustration than anything (even where it has been correct 99% of the time).  the sport employees people, and thereby human error can never fully eliminate human error

Edited by mattyh001

47 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

from the horses's mouth tonight (Chris Breath), the foul in question was for the WSW player (Sortirio) coming back from an offside position and then directly interfering with an opponent involved in the play (Zullo).

as bullshit as that might seem, if thats the case then the VAR was used correctly.

Yea but was that what was said in his ear at the time. Or an excuse made after the game?...

2 hours ago, haz said:

Yea but was that what was said in his ear at the time. Or an excuse made after the game?...

Unfortunately the audio of any statement over VAR is not made public.

Breath said he was informed by the VAR solely about the offside, so people can take as they see fit

Audio and VAR needs to be transparent asap

Just get rid of the Video Assistant Referee (it's a person - more often now, it seems, a group of people, not a "thing") from the A-League. It simply adds another layer of controversy to that small number of cases during a season where the on-field match officials may make an "incorrect decision." IMO it is adding to the frustrations of all those connected to the game - from fans, to players, to clubs, and to the officials themselves.

It's destroying the game as we have known it.

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Just get rid of the Video Assistant Referee (it's a person - more often now, it seems, a group of people, not a "thing") from the A-League. It simply adds another layer of controversy to that small number of cases during a season where the on-field match officials may make an "incorrect decision." IMO it is adding to the frustrations of all those connected to the game - from fans, to players, to clubs, and to the officials themselves.

It's destroying the game as we have known it.

Imo needs to be limited in its application to say just offside calls and whether the ball crossed the line for a goal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Bloody Sydney get the luckiest of goals.

Newcastle with a late equaliser to make it 1-1 at full time.

Good results for us so far this round.

Id be putting my money on Perth to be the premiers. So long that Poppa can manage travel fatigue