• Brattan
    • McGree
    • Bart
    • Atkinson
    • Delbridge
    • Griffiths
    • O’halloran
    • Wales

This shouldn't be just about penalties. We fuck up almost every one of our dead ball kicks - corners, free-kicks (ffs, can't someone other than Brattan actually take one?) Can't someone right-footed and someone left-footed actually take an inswinginging free as Colazo used to do? We're even struggling to take a goal-kick now - half the time they have to be re-taken because the ball hasn't gone outside the area.

An issue that no-one in the coaching team seems to pay any attention to.

FFS FIX IT.

Just from the outside I'd say Vidosic would be my preferred option

With free kicks and corners, I'd like to see Jamieson take more especially corners. And I'd even consider Bruno taking some. He isn't really a factor with his head from corners so we're not losing anything in there. Anyone but Brattan hitting the front post every single time 

28 minutes ago, neio said:

Just from the outside I'd say Vidosic would be my preferred option

With free kicks and corners, I'd like to see Jamieson take more especially corners. And I'd even consider Bruno taking some. He isn't really a factor with his head from corners so we're not losing anything in there. Anyone but Brattan hitting the front post every single time 

Brattan hits a 5/10 corner every time never really hits one I think wow what a corner

7 minutes ago, fiji19 said:

Jamieson Corners/Wide FKs
Brattan Wide FKs
Penalties Vidosic

Bruno Direct FKs

New French Dude Direct FKs 

Put the french dude on all set-pieces (except penalties, because I dont know if hes decent), he can share direct FKs with Bruno though

We can talk until we are blue in the face who does what at set pieces but ultimately it is the decision of the coaching staff. They get the glory when it works so must take the criticism when it dose not.

Training sessions should include offensive and defensive set pieces. Every player should be drilled and know exactly what his roll is.

Offensive:

Penalty kicks; should be whoever is the best in training followed by the second best and so on. Bruno must have been the best in training. This leave it to who feels best does not work.

Free kicks; direct shot at goal again it is the player who consistently scores in training and other players play their roles looking for a save or defection.

Corner and free kick cross into the box. Player signals front post back post or penalty spot and each player makes the run they have been allocated.

Defensive:

We almost lost a goal at a free kick set play and did at a corner Work needs to be done there.

If you look again at the goal we conceded from the corner; the player taking the corner signalled front post, a player made the run there and won the ball goal. Why did we not have players on the posts (basic defending) he would have cleared the ball and prevented the goal. Never seen one signal from our players taking a corners.

Manager and coaching staff need to get the finger out and fix the problems.

This is a long winded way of saying I don’t know as I do see the players in training.

Having said all that your best or first choice penalty takers do not always score, watch this and you will recognise a few faces and a City player.  I remember seeing this before ST Johnstone's cup final. Fancy taking a penalty in front of a crowd of over 50,000

Edited by Inchcolm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All of them should be fully capable and prepared to take penalties and free-kicks. The two penalties so far this season have been poorly taken, and the coaching staff need rockets up their backsides for allowing this to happen. To me it appears that little or no work is being done on the goalkeeper we're facing. Lawrence Thomas is a good GK, and side-footing it towards goal at shoulder height is not the way to score against him. Our boys need to be able to be trained to drill the ball along the ground at pace and hit the back stanchion with unerring accuracy.

• Like 1

I remember in the 60's when our coach took us out onto the field to practice penalties. He put 2 towels over the cross bar one at the right corner and one at the left corner. He said hit the towel and you will score. He was right. I always hit the imaginary towel and scored with every pen. It is not rocket science run up strike the and hit a towel.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, neio said:

Was there a discussion about the penalty? Or did floren just take the ball? 

I don't know. Apparently he had a "4 out of 4" record in France. But again, these things should be drilled into the players at CFA and the players should know precisely who is to do what with every dead-ball situation. Even when there are complicating factors - the Captain out injured, and the recent penalty taker sick - all this should be worked out beforehand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I don't know. Apparently he had a "4 out of 4" record in France. But again, these things should be drilled into the players at CFA and the players should know precisely who is to do what with every dead-ball situation. Even when there are complicating factors - the Captain out injured, and the recent penalty taker sick - all this should be worked out beforehand.

That's all well and good but realistically teams often don't operate this way. It's often the player that feels confident enough in that moment that steps up and takes it

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I dont understand how Florian did so well with his crossing and FKs in the WSW friendly, but come game day, Brattan is back on them

55 minutes ago, AXIOM said:

Defenders are always the best pen takers. Their use to the pressure. Some of these fairy floss forwards are more worried about what people think if they miss and it shows.

Based on?

From memory. 

Mathew Le tissier Alan Shearer and Marco Van basten have the best with a sample of close to 50 pens at the top level.

8 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Based on?

From memory. 

Mathew Le tissier Alan Shearer and Marco Van basten have the best with a sample of close to 50 pens at the top level.

Oh Marco, my all time fave.

Having said that, Ronald Koeman is a great example of what @AXIOM was saying. Ferocious penalty taker.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Based on?

From memory. 

Based on every time ive watch a pen shootout and defenders stepping up they never miss. Ive paid attention as i was a defender. If you were a forward then i understand the lack of attention. It was mostly in pen shootouts as not to many forwards would allow a shitty defender to take a pen during the 90 mins. How is our former NT captain at taking pen's? Mr.Mile a DM, or Miligan? K. Muscat 99% of the time lol bar one time.

20 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Cuauhtémoc Blanco 71 of 73 forward 

Graham Alexander 77 of 83 right back

Matt Le tissier 49 from 50 attacking mid

Marco van basten 49 from 54

Roberto baggio 94 from 110 (1 really big miss obviously )

Mostly forwards.  

Where did i say that forwards dont take pen's. I just said that defenders are better at it, when they do take them. Get Bort to take them, he will rip the back of the net 10/10 times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, haz said:

Boys, I think you are forgetting about the best PK taker currently in the game.....

image.jpeg.2f28d3070828fac0ee48ebdf8b0d4800.jpeg

I was about to say - this man mountain is one of the best PK takers in the game. Then you look at the Aussies and you think of the shootout against Uruguay - Tony Vidmar, Craig Moore, Lucas Neill. These boys were all defenders. They didn't look phased whatsoever. 

10 hours ago, pattyd89 said:

I was about to say - this man mountain is one of the best PK takers in the game. Then you look at the Aussies and you think of the shootout against Uruguay - Tony Vidmar, Craig Moore, Lucas Neill. These boys were all defenders. They didn't look phased whatsoever. 

My point exactly