Melbourne Football

Welcome Ritchie de Laet

jw1739

Tough call. Given our current personnel id probably go Da Laet. He's so versatile and a fantastic leader. But if MacLaren comes in we have no need for Da Laet to play up front. So that puts him back at right back. So for me out of Da Laet in right back and Bort in centre back, I'd go with Bort.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, n i k o said:

He was our best visa player, but was he our best 'marquee'? I think one Aaron Mooy might have a case. I'm being a bit of cunt, apologies. Lol. 

Fair enough tbh. Probably not much separates Bruno and Mooy in terms of our greatest player.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Ban me from the forum but I’m not making a central defender marquee. Sorry Bart

Where is the ban button?

No but in all seriousness... what a player. Deserving of marquee. Loves the club,wants to see us succeed and gives his all on the pitch week in week out. Irrespective of position, these are the people we want for our club and we should do all we can to retain him.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I probably say this every year, but I think next season we will probably see the cap removed or heavily modified. So I dare say we will be able to have all three if it happens.

No chance. 

The cap will probably remain as is, until the next 2 and maybe the 2 after that expansion clubs get to a level that they can genuinely challenge. 

For us it's a no brainer but for many in the League and those incoming the salary cap is a huge safety net.

We just have to get our shit together with the cap. Maybe recruiting and keeping 5 visas on the pitch for 30 weeks would be a good start.

• Like 1

Also there are plenty of other issues that the "new FFA" has on its plate. The cap is possibly the easiest to leave in place. IMO they'll fix Wellington and expansion,  the duration of the season to accommodate more matches, number of visa players, etc. before they look at the cap. Possibly it will be raised significantly, but not discarded completely for a while yet.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Another player along with Bart further driving the point that the salary cap needs to go

Why? His mistake cost us last night. The issue is that we don't to spend the money on the visa, marquee or guest players.