Melbourne Football

Welcome Ritchie de Laet

jw1739

6 hours ago, HeartFc said:

This bloke doesn't need to set the world on fire, he'll be keeping La Rocca off the pitch. Job done. 

La Rocca was never on the pitch besides 5 games 19 months ago. Get rid of him use the money towards more useful players who actually train and compete.

Edited by Mr MO

He seems like a decent visa signing but it looks like I'm the only one a little underwhelmed with de Laet as a marquee. I'm not opposed to having a marquee defender but when Wellington are able to sign Steven Taylor under the cap I was hoping we could find are higher quality of player than de Laet for marquee.

The pedigree of imports across the league has increased significantly this season and although we appear to have improved depth, I'm not sure that the absolute quality of our first XI has significantly improved (I can see I am in the minority with this view).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

He seems like a decent visa signing but it looks like I'm the only one a little underwhelmed with de Laet as a marquee. I'm not opposed to having a marquee defender but when Wellington are able to sign Steven Taylor under the cap I was hoping we could find are higher quality of player than de Laet for marquee.

The pedigree of imports across the league has increased significantly this season and although we appear to have improved depth, I'm not sure that the absolute quality of our first XI has significantly improved (I can see I am in the minority with this view).

I saw Wellington knocked out of the FFA Cup by Bentleigh Greens. They - including Taylor - were absolutely awful that evening.

I really can't see any issue with De Laet as a marquee player. IMO you're forgetting that the concept of a "marquee player" has changed over the life of the A-League; it has morphed from the "big name player who will put bums on seats" into a player paid at least in part outside the salary cap. The original concept is now filled by the Cahill/Honda "full season guest marquee player" paid at least in part by FFA. 

I'm prepared to back the judgement of the CFG scouting network, especially since Joyce and De Laet  have worked with each other before. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I saw Wellington knocked out of the FFA Cup by Bentleigh Greens. They - including Taylor - were absolutely awful that evening.

I really can't see any issue with De Laet as a marquee player. IMO you're forgetting that the concept of a "marquee player" has changed over the life of the A-League; it has morphed from the "big name player who will put bums on seats" into a player paid at least in part outside the salary cap. The original concept is now filled by the Cahill/Honda "full season guest marquee player" paid at least in part by FFA. 

I'm prepared to back the judgement of the CFG scouting network, especially since Joyce and De Laet  have worked with each other before. 

Im not trying to talk up this signing too much, considering the history we've had with marquee signings

4 hours ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

I am also not that excited by this signing. For me it will depend on where he plays. If we use a marquee spot on  RB then that seems a big waste. If he plays CB and plays well there then great.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Deeming said:

I am also not that excited by this signing. For me it will depend on where he plays. If we use a marquee spot on  RB then that seems a big waste. If he plays CB and plays well there then great.

I'm still thinking Waz is planning on formation changes during attack and defence. During a break, De Laet is a wide attacking defender, while we are defending he will push into the centre of defence.

Waz has only coached him as a CB as I expect De Laet will be a CB for us

3 minutes ago, haz said:

I'm still thinking Waz is planning on formation changes during attack and defence. During a break, De Laet is a wide attacking defender, while we are defending he will push into the centre of defence.

Waz has only coached him as a CB as I expect De Laet will be a CB for us

He played  as a right back during training today. 

It's quite an astute signing because RDL will perform at a high level regardless of the position, similar to Vidosic does in midfield and up forward. 

If Atkinson is performing, RDL can move centrally or into the midfield. If Atkinson isn't, then he covers RB. And it's the same for any midfielders or CBs that underperform.

Having good players that can play in more than one position, to a decent level, is vital in a salary-capped league. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

It's quite an astute signing because RDL will perform at a high level regardless of the position, similar to Vidosic does in midfield and up forward. 

If Atkinson is performing, RDL can move centrally or into the midfield. If Atkinson isn't, then he covers RB. And it's the same for any midfielders or CBs that underperform.

Having good players that can play in more than one position, to a decent level, is vital in a salary-capped league. 

I think this applies to almost the whole squad this season except Birighitti. All our players can play across their lines

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty sure he can't go back there until the transfer window reopens for a starter, but even so, it would all depend on the terms of the loan contract and the clauses inserted. Which we'll never find out unless its reported by someone that actually knows.
Essentially, nothing to see here until there is something to see.

Edited by bt50

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Pretty sure he can't go back there until the transfer window reopens for a starter, but even so, it would all depend on the terms of the loan contract and the clauses inserted. Which we'll never find out unless its reported by someone that actually knows.
Essentially, nothing to see here until there is something to see.

Correct; the minimum loan period is until the next registration period. Which I think means January 2019 in Villa's case.

It is a question of ifs. His contract with us will decide if he can be called back. There is absolutely no chance of us knowing what is in it. If we paid a loan fee for the season, he cannot be recalled. If it is written in his contract that he may be recalled and we could lose him. Then there is the new manager if he does not want him then he stays.

If I carry on much longer I will need a drink. Let' wait and see

2 hours ago, haz said:

ha+

Man, if the small chance this happens I might as well call some Voodoo doctor to try and un-curse this club

According to Bruce Grobelaar, you need to piss on all four posts. And the rugby posts don't count. 

1 hour ago, Inchcolm said:

It is a question of ifs. His contract with us will decide if he can be called back. There is absolutely no chance of us knowing what is in it. If we paid a loan fee for the season, he cannot be recalled. If it is written in his contract that he may be recalled and we could lose him. Then there is the new manager if he does not want him then he stays.

All this is true and wise, and I'd say the same myself. Except Villa. Track record for shafting us. 

1 hour ago, Inchcolm said:

Technically you may be correct. But A-League player contracts are terminated by mutual agreement on a regular basis. Surely, if Villa want him back, De Laet wants to return, and City are prepared to release him, then the contract can be terminated?

I always need a drink. It's just that this Forum intensifies the longing.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

On 04/10/2018 at 5:03 PM, Inchcolm said:

If you stick to your apparent plan to follow this team, you’ll need a lot more than one drink, I assure you!

• 3 weeks later...