Melbourne Football

He's a keeper (Mark Birighitti thread)

kingofhearts

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, jw1739 said:

So he wants to leave. Not surprised. 

On one level I can’t blame him, but on another well mate how big are your goals? If you want to be Australia’s No 1 you need to be able to see off the challenge of an ageing Eugene Galekovic. Train fucking harder. Work on your distribution to highlight an edge over Euge. Turn over every fucking rock you can find.

if your goal is to be the 7th or 8th best Australian keeper than yeah find a club willing to take you.

Edited by Shahanga
Typo
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

No one level I can’t blame him, but on another well mate how big are your goals? If you want to be Australia’s No 1 you need to be able to see off the challenge of an ageing Eugene Galekovic. Train fucking harder. Work on your distribution to highlight an edge over Euge. Turn over every fucking rock you can find.

if your goal is to be the 7th or 8th best Australian keeper than yeah find a club willing to take you.

Yeh i dont blame him, but i dont blame anyone really. I definitely can't begrudge the fact that Eugene has had a late career renaissance and is playing some of the best football in his career. Simply unlucky, and not in the Aloisi sense.

Eugene has been exceptional. If Birighitti wants to start he has two massive obstacles, firstly waiting for Galekovic to lose form or get injured and then secondly get over the Joyce situation. 

Credit to Joyce and the club for having this situation it's actually what happens at big proper clubs. 

• Like 4

This is a great example of WJ's philosophy on professionalism enhancing our culture and team.

He seems to place a huge emphasis on players that are consummate, dedicated professionals, players who approach their football careers as a way of life. 

EG is probably the ideal player. He is experienced, a natural-born leader, an incredibly hard worker in the gym and on the training track and gets every ounce out of himself. 

It results in a player of MB's calibre being benched and is the situation we want. It's going to have a positive influence on a kid like James Delianov. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Harrison said:

This is a great example of WJ's philosophy on professionalism enhancing our culture and team.

He seems to place a huge emphasis on players that are consummate, dedicated professionals, players who approach their football careers as a way of life. 

EG is probably the ideal player. He is experienced, a natural-born leader, an incredibly hard worker in the gym and on the training track and gets every ounce out of himself. 

It results in a player of MB's calibre being benched and is the situation we want. It's going to have a positive influence on a kid like James Delianov. 

True.

joyces works best/ only works? With players with nothing to lose. The ones who are not favoured to start. I like how he gets the best out of them, what I don’t like is that he doesn’t seem to take into account that the seasoned true pro knows how to prepare themselves properly and if they don’t align with his “train yourself into the ground” philosophy then their feet don’t touch the ground. That’s good for bludgers   But not for pros like Bruno etc

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

True.

joyces works best/ only works? With players with nothing to lose. The ones who are not favoured to start. I like how he gets the best out of them, what I don’t like is that he doesn’t seem to take into account that the seasoned true pro knows how to prepare themselves properly and if they don’t align with his “train yourself into the ground” philosophy then their feet don’t touch the ground. That’s good for bludgers   But not for pros like Bruno etc

I'd like to hear what a forum of seasoned professional coaches from a variety of sports think about Joyce's philosophy. I doubt that too many would agree with him.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

I'd like to hear what a forum of seasoned professional coaches from a variety of sports think about Joyce's philosophy. I doubt that too many would agree with him.

He certainly takes a hardline approach and it seems to work well for some players but not for others. 

2 minutes ago, Harrison said:

He certainly takes a hardline approach and it seems to work well for some players but not for others. 

But that's all coaches really. 

My issue is that we have lost some great players for this dogmatic approach.  But if long term we get more Galekovic/Delbribge outcomes and less Bruno, Kilkenny, Brandan, then okay but as it stands we will still end up 4th if were lucky and haven't really improved. 

• Like 1

Success of the team lies in working together. It is the responsibility of a manager to make sure his players are utilised to their full potential. This is where the whole ‘Management Skills’ come into the picture. The most important aspect of the job of a manager is “People Management.” If you are not good with the people you are managing and you cannot expect to get the best results.

The manager must be able to handle all sorts of personalities if he is to be successful. We all know of the temperamental superstar how would Joyce manage: George Best. Diago Maradona, Roy Kean, Eric Cantona, Vinney Jones, Luis Suarez etc. He would have them out the door because he has no man management skills. He is not a manager he is a PE teacher “do as you are told or you are out the door.”

• Like 5

It's got to be a pretty rare thing to have a reliable backup keeper who isn't grumbling a bit about the lack of opportunity. Nothing against Birighitti, but more than happy for him to try his luck elsewhere and, if required, pick up another keeper in his position at a rival club.

Australia always has quality keepers to choose from. You can pick two roughly evenly matched keepers and let them fight for the spot, or get one outstanding keeper (e.g. Sorensen) and back him up with an understudy who's either just developing or a bit past it. With either approach, I don't really have an issue with cutting the backup loose every season and finding someone else.

1 hour ago, SF33 said:

It's got to be a pretty rare thing to have a reliable backup keeper who isn't grumbling a bit about the lack of opportunity. Nothing against Birighitti, but more than happy for him to try his luck elsewhere and, if required, pick up another keeper in his position at a rival club.

Australia always has quality keepers to choose from. You can pick two roughly evenly matched keepers and let them fight for the spot, or get one outstanding keeper (e.g. Sorensen) and back him up with an understudy who's either just developing or a bit past it. With either approach, I don't really have an issue with cutting the backup loose every season and finding someone else.

Bouzanis is contracted by us until 31st May 2020. Much depends on what City decide to do with Galekovic at the end of this season.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I would be madness if we let Mark walk away. Sure Eugene is having a good season but he isn’t the future.

Remember that we have Bouzanis under contract for another season. IMO club needs to decide on which one we keep - Bouzanis and Birighitti - and then offload the other. Delianov is a perfectly good back-up.

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Remember that we have Bouzanis under contract for another season. IMO club needs to decide on which one we keep - Bouzanis and Birighitti - and then offload the other. Delianov is a perfectly good back-up.

Birighitti, please

23 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

It's such a joyce move, bring in a first 11 player to then not play them! 

The soonerJoyce is gone the better! 

A Joyce move would be to play Birighitti as a striker, because, well, just because...

2 hours ago, neio said:

Here is Joyce logic, work it out of you can

He prefers Bouzanis over Galekovic but he prefers Galekovic over Birighitti but it also seems he prefers Birighitti over Bouzanis 

He prefers defenders over strikers, yet plays defenders as striker's, defenders over midfielders but plays midfielders as defenders 🤔

I'm not sure if the city board have any brains btw the lot of them. 

To be honest, I have internally conclude that Joyce has mental issues. The only things that make sense to me is that he is actively trying to run us into the ground - but I honestly believe he believes in what he is doing.

Birighitti not playing is another disaster. Gonna lose potentially one of if not the best keepers in the league we could have for years, for an old eugine who has little left.

Incredible!

I never have understood that line that "he's highly rated".

Nobody fucking knows if he is any good. Nobody, not even Delanov himself. 

Until he plays several senior games its just speculation. Okay he may have the skill set to be a great player but until he plays how can you say anything. 

2 hours ago, CityHeart said:

... To lose Birighitti is just further madness for this club. The Joyce destruction is going to take some mending.

As far as I know, you can only play with one goal keeper on the ground at any time.

If Galekovic jumped ahead of him in the queue at the start of the season and has done nothing wrong to lose his spot, then I can't see why it is the club's fault if Birighitti wants to leave.

I can understand being a pro that if he feels like he isn't getting the opportunities, he would want to move before his career stalls. But to blame that on the club or Joyce is going a bit far.

• Like 3

Birighitti knew the situation when he joined - he knew that Bouzanis had gone to Zwolle on loan and was under contract to City until 31/5/20 and therefore that he had to compete with Galekovic this season and Bouzanis next season. Hardly fair to blame anyone for his failure to displace Galekovic so far.

Club will have to sort out the GK situation for next season soon. My guess is that they won't extend Galekovic's contract. He's had some very good matches, but some rather ordinary ones too.

Edited by jw1739

53 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Birighitti knew the situation when he joined - he knew that Bouzanis had gone to Zwolle on loan and was under contract to City until 31/5/20 and therefore that he had to compete with Galekovic this season and Bouzanis next season. Hardly fair to blame anyone for his failure to displace Galekovic so far.

Club will have to sort out the GK situation for next season soon. My guess is that they won't extend Galekovic's contract. He's had some very good matches, but some rather ordinary ones too.

Bouzanis is irrelevant unless the new manager wants him for next season. We’d easily be able to find him another club if we didn’t want him or he didn’t want to be here. 

Agree on Galekovic. I don’t think he gets a new contract but we’d have to either keep Birighitti or find someone better than Galekovic. 

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

so should we expect galekovic out by the end of the season 

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder how much money we're wasting on this bloke. We didn't need him in the first place considering we already had Galekovic and a Scholarship back-up - unless the latter doesn't count in the "two goalkeeper rule."

They don’t count because they aren’t actually in the senior squad. 

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder how much money we're wasting on this bloke. We didn't need him in the first place considering we already had Galekovic and a Scholarship back-up - unless the latter doesn't count in the "two goalkeeper rule."

I think we only didn't need him in hindsight. EG has had a huge resurgence this season that I think many did not expect. If you asked anyone before a game had played who would be our No 1 for the season, most would have said MB.