Melbourne Football

He's a keeper (Mark Birighitti thread)

kingofhearts

32 minutes ago, IssySG said:

One hundred percent. Ignoring the fact that GK position in our squad didnt really need an upgrade, still objectively speaking Brighitti is a substantial upgrade.

Yep I agree. But I wonder what the wage differences are? I would hope we still arnt paying his loan wage, but more so what happens if Bouzanis flops and returns next season.... I would assume Galekovic would be made to retire sinc he is off contract.

Edited by haz

https://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/nieuws/837669/nac-breda-ontbindt-contract-van-zondebok-zaak-om-weer-vooruit-te-kijken-.html

This dutch article says he has already negotiated a contract with another team. I expect him to come to Melbourne before he is announced. Since Monday is over, I would guess Wednesday or Thursday.

(Back up statement from his old club - 31st August)

http://www.nac.nl/108/newsid/12737/Mark-Birighitti-verlaat-NAC.html

Edited by haz

1 hour ago, IssySG said:

One hundred percent. Ignoring the fact that GK position in our squad didnt really need an upgrade, still objectively speaking Brighitti is a substantial upgrade.

What's your basis for that? Breda obviously don't think much of him if they demoted him to fourth choice. There's barely any difference between him and Bouzanis physically or in age, so it looks like a Peter-Paul situation to me. IMO Bouzanis had improved over the past two seasons, so I'm afraid I don't see much point in the whole exercise.

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

What's your basis for that? Breda obviously don't think much of him if they demoted him to fourth choice. There's barely any difference between him and Bouzanis physically or in age, so it looks like a Peter-Paul situation to me. IMO Bouzanis had improved over the past two seasons, so I'm afraid I don't see much point in the whole exercise.

I agree I hope we are not paying part of bouzanis loan and Birighitti is on the same bouzanis wage so he isn’t take up viable cap space 

50 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Maybe dean was keen to play in Europe ? 

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I reckon Spider wanted to make the change. No evidence just see the changes as more than a coincidence.

1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

It’s very weird cause he left a WSW when Kalic was GK there and then when he comes as GK Bouzanis leaves again could be a coincidence or more to the story 

I honestly though they were best mates. But then again I think I had that idea due to him starting in the league under him.

Good pick up though!

15 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I reckon Spider wanted to make the change. No evidence just see the changes as more than a coincidence.

The was a rumour floating around about a month or two ago that their was a fallout between the two (potential either one may still have resentment for the other from previous time together) I can't recall where I read it though.

1 hour ago, malloy said:

The was a rumour floating around about a month or two ago that their was a fallout between the two (potential either one may still have resentment for the other from previous time together) I can't recall where I read it though.

On here, IIRC. Someone reported "tension in the whole GK group."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

3-year contract for Birighitti. That pretty much spells the end of the line at the end of this season for Galekovic.

I think that was always the case. Will probably go into coaching and then we will elevate Delinov to number 2

FWIW I actually think Birighitti is a big upgrade on Bouzanis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

I think that was always the case. Will probably go into coaching and then we will elevate Delinov to number 2

FWIW I actually think Birighitti is a big upgrade on Bouzanis

When he was in the HAL, yes I rated him well above Bouzanis.

But since then, Bouzanis has gotten much better while Birighitti has sat on a bench.

We'll need to wait for a few games to see where he is at

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Birighitti reveals why he chose City

The 27-year-old arrives in Bundoora battling for the first-choice goalkeeping spot with Eugene Galekovic, who he spent time with as a youngster in his Adelaide United days. He is also reunited with Scott Jamieson and Dario Vidosic.

Birighitti made it clear he has returned to City for more game time after his stints at Swansea and NAC Breda.

He said he matured a lot of after playing 16 games for NAC Breda and  said he found the Eredivisie difficult to play in.

"I spent a year at Swansea and I knew after it was time to move on and take the next step to find a club in Europe where I can play," Birighitti told FTBL.

"I was fortunate that Breda believed in me and gave me an opportunity. I played many games there and the Dutch league is fantastic for young players to gain that experience in Europe. 

"They had a lot of problems with the goalkeepers and throughout their season, they weren’t happy with the goalkeepers and they started one goalkeeper for the first three games and they didn’t believe in him, so they brought me in.

"It was quite difficult to go there and perform straight away and the supporters are very passionate and have their say."

Birighitti added he was relishing game time with City this season.

"Last year was a solid year in Holland, I played a lot of games and things change at the club," he said.

"A new coach came in and he had different ideas and plans and he brought in one of the goalkeepers at his old club. It was difficult for me and at this stage in my career, it’s important to be playing every week and I thought Melbourne City was a perfect fit.

"If I was going to come back to the A-League, it was always going to be City because of their links and the club in general has come so far.

"Speaking with the gaffer, I liked his ideas and what he had planned and I think we’ll be fighting for the championship and it’s something I want to be a part of and that’s why I chose City."

Birighitti has signed for City in a three-year contract, but did not rule out returning to Europe in the near future.

He also denied he was disappointed to be back in the A-League after his stints in Europe.

"If you see the setup at City, not many clubs in Europe and Australia have the facilities we do at City," Birighitti said.

"Coming back wasn’t difficult at all, I know the league and I was involved for many years. It’s a league I can do well in and hopefully I have a good season and we’ll see what happens in the future.

"It’s something I’d like to get back to, but I don’t want to set long-term goals. I just want to perform well and the rest will take care of itself."

Birighitti is yet to play a competitive game for City as Galekovic started in their 2-1 loss to Western Sydney Wanderers in the FFA Cup quarter-final.

It is the Melbourne Derby on Saturday and Birighitti recalls playing against Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV Eindhoven in the Eredivisie as the biggest games of his career.

He added he was excited to meet Melbourne Victory at Marvel Stadium.

"I kept a close eye on the A-League last year and City were so close to making the Grand Final," he said. 

"There’s a sense of feeling at the club this year that it’s a bit of revenge and everyone is hungry and fighting. Our results have been good in preseason and we haven’t conceded many goals.

"In my Newcastle days, the Melbourne Derby was always a game we’d try and watch because it’s an epic battle and to be part of one will be very exciting. There will be a big crowd and these are the games you’ll be involved in."

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/birighitti-reveals-why-he-chose-city-514094

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Missing_Moy said:

Not on the bench tonight anyone know why?

58 minutes ago, haz said:

Injured in warm up

I was standing in active pregame and he looked very ginger during the normal "outfielders take shots one on one, keepers try to save" warm up in front of the active bay goals.  Looked lower back but could be a range of things.

38 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Interesting to speculate on next season. We signed this guy for three years, and Bouzanis will return for loan at the end of this season and have another season to go. And yet it's Galekovic who holds down the GK spot.

Maybe a bit of bad planning but good problem to have Imo

• Like 2