Melbourne Football

FFA Cup - QF: City v Wanderers, AAMI Park, September 19 @ 7.30

Harrison

Tbh, pretty confident of this one. WSW dont look too good struggling agaisnt lower NPL teams, we'll be at home, and our squad is much better on paper.

But we will need to score more then one goal this game. If WSW score, from the past two game its going to be hard for us to grab two.

• Like 2

Pretty happy with our cup progress so far considering we have beaten two HAL opposition. Both who IMO have had better pre-season preparation than us.

If we beat WSW easily, surely we would become favorites?

Edited by haz

• 2 weeks later...

Chances of De Laet making the bench? He surely would be fit enough, and we're playing at AAMI too so we won't be on some dodgy NPL pitch.

I'd expect Berenguer to start or at least get a good 30 mins too (but has anyone seen him in any training photos?).

Edited by haz

On 15/09/2018 at 9:05 AM, haz said:

Chances of De Laet making the bench? He surely would be fit enough, and we're playing at AAMI too so we won't be on some dodgy NPL pitch.

I'd expect Berenguer to start or at least get a good 30 mins too (but has anyone seen him in any training photos?).

I would like to see all 5 visas on the field at the same time to see what they bring to the team. This means WJ would have to start at least 2, that is not a problem as I expect Bart and Bruno to start every match.

29 minutes ago, silva10 said:

I would expect Joyce to play our strongest possible team.  By all accounts De Laet was playing in pre-season games for Villa and should be fit enough to start. Berenguer has been signed for a couple of weeks and could start. 

De Laet even played two league cup games and had a full pre-season with Villa. The only reason I can see him not starting is due to "getting used to the Australian pitches" which I think is a BS excuse.

I haven't seen any training pics of Berenguer but @IssySG said that all VISAs were training the other day. I expect minimum three to start against WSW

39 minutes ago, silva10 said:

I would expect Joyce to play our strongest possible team.  By all accounts De Laet was playing in pre-season games for Villa and should be fit enough to start. Berenguer has been signed for a couple of weeks and could start. 

I agree De Laet should start as he has a pre-season in him. MOH been here over a month and still to start a competitive game. He did start the friendly this week. If that is WJ yard stick it will be a couple of more weeks before Berenguer starts. Did he get any game time against Adelaide? 

1 hour ago, Inchcolm said:

I agree De Laet should start as he has a pre-season in him. MOH been here over a month and still to start a competitive game. He did start the friendly this week. If that is WJ yard stick it will be a couple of more weeks before Berenguer starts. Did he get any game time against Adelaide? 

I couldn't identify a skinny brown hair guy wearing bright red/orange boots in some of the photos. Was too blurry to tell

Birraz

Atkinson               Griffiths         

Albino                                          FLoral                              Jamio

Bart

Brattan                    Ohal                   McGree

Bruno

This is our 2018 mindfuck formation since so many of our players can play all over the place

5 minutes ago, neio said:

I think we will go something like this 

Birighitti 

DeLaet Schenkeveld Malik Jamieson 

Griffiths

Brattan McGree

O'halloran Fornaroli Vidosic

Galekovic Delbridge Wales Caceras Berenguer

No its this

Birraz

Atkinson               Griffiths         

Albino                                          FLoral                              Jamio

Bart

Brattan                    Ohal                   McGree

Bruno

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

I hope the cappo plays the benny hill tune through the megaphone at goal kicks and corners

From what I read in the newspaper today, whether we like it or not we're going to be inflicted with music etc. over the PA at goal-kicks, corners etc, and "safe smoke displays" at Wellington and Gosford, this season as FFA try to emulate the "Big Bash."

Yuk.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

From what I read in the newspaper today, whether we like it or not we're going to be inflicted with music etc. over the PA at goal-kicks, corners etc, and "safe smoke displays" at Wellington and Gosford, this season as FFA try to emulate the "Big Bash."

Yuk.

I've read it too, but FFA are already facing a backlash

Any idea if it will start in this FFA cup game?

59 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yuk.

It'll be just like being at the bloody rugby... 

Team and formation for the match.

Joyce seems very much rigid in his formation 4:2:3:1

He has consistently chosen; Fornaroli as striker, McGree Wales and Vidosic as the attacking midfielders. I assume he will keep the same attackers. However, he did play O’Halloran in the friendly game; he was involved in both goals so may have a chance of displacing one of them.

He again is fixed with his defensive midfield pairing Brattan and Griffiths.

The back four is where he tends to vary his selection Bart and Jamieson look to be first choices. That leaves in my opinion two places for Atkinson and DeLaet or Malik and De Laet.

Goalkeeper selection from two Birightitti or Galekovic

I would like to see this team start

………...……..Fornaroli

Vidosic……..McGree..….O’Halloran

..........Brattan……Griffiths

Jamieson….Bart….DeLaet….Atkinson

…………...….Birighitti

I am assuming Birighitti is match fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

Team and formation for the match.

Joyce seems very much rigid in his formation 4:2:3:1

He has consistently chosen; Fornaroli as striker, McGree Wales and Vidosic as the attacking midfielders. I assume he will keep the same attackers. However, he did play O’Halloran in the friendly game; he was involved in both goals so may have a chance of displacing one of them.

He again is fixed with his defensive midfield pairing Brattan and Griffiths.

The back four is where he tends to vary his selection Bart and Jamieson look to be first choices. That leaves in my opinion two places for Atkinson and DeLaet or Malik and De Laet.

Goalkeeper selection from two Birightitti or Galekovic

I would like to see this team start

………...……..Fornaroli

Vidosic……..McGree..….O’Halloran

..........Brattan……Griffiths

Jamieson….Bart….DeLaet….Atkinson

…………...….Birighitti

I am assuming Birighitti is match fit.

The way I've seen Joyce is a stock standard 433. And his midfield 3 is the conservative 2 holding and 1 attacking but his attacking is more as the closing down than creative. He likes wide players. 

So I think De lite and Birighitti won't play and only because they haven't been here long enough and possibly your boy will start. Delbridge hasn't done anything wrong and going on last season he will get played until he has to be replaced. And Malik will always start. So the way I see it we will line up like this. 

Vidosic      Fornaroli    O'Halloran

Mcgree

Brattan       Griffiths 

Jamo    Bort     Malik    Delbridge 

Galekovic 

• Like 2

[Question:] Do you think you'll use Ritchie mostly as a right-back this season?

[Joyce:] I know what he'll give in a variety of positions, you know so you're comfortable in playing him in a whole range of positions because he's played centre-half in the Premier League, he's played right-back in the Premier League, he's played left-back, he can play midfield, he can play wide...versatility is key in a salary capped league, I think

I was weary that Ritchie maybe hasn't really been a CB in the past, and wouldn't be one for us. But it looks like this Joyce answer puts that concern to bed: Ritchie is pretty much a marquee CB for us

Edited by Murfy1

23 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

I was weary that Ritchie maybe hasn't really been a CB in the past, and wouldn't be one for us. But it looks like this Joyce answer puts that concern to bed: Ritchie is pretty much a marquee CB for us

Don't forget right after that quote, Waz said that De Laet scored a hat-trick for the reserves when playing striker!

Hoffman V2

Edited by haz
  • Like 1