Melbourne Football

FFA Cup - QF: City v Wanderers, AAMI Park, September 19 @ 7.30

Harrison

7 hours ago, CityHeart said:

blind freddy can see there are no goals in this squad. All up to Bruno.

Might be a very frustrating season - we may all die of boredom. Just kicks you in the guts when at the same time, ccm sign ross. 

I'm rather hoping that we have signed Blind Freddie by next week.  He can start practising penalties....

Big thumbs-up for O'Halloran and de Laet. 

We are going to be found out in the ''goals scored'' aggregate....but I don't think we will leak many when this squad gets some serious game time 

17 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

Big thumbs-up for O'Halloran and de Laet. 

We are going to be found out in the ''goals scored'' aggregate....but I don't think we will leak many when this squad gets some serious game time 

Yep agree with this.

Im still keeping my prediction of 2nd (within 1-2 points of 3rd). Waz keeps a tight ship, if the VISA attackers click, then we are in a good position this season assuming our defense (which wasnt full strength vs WSW) will perform

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

But McGree and Wales weren't the reason why we lost. So why so much attention on them? @xXCiTyZeNXx Up one side we had Bruno missing some sitters and up the other side we had defensive and man marking errors from a Brattan and a couple others. 

I agreed that bruno missed some sitters but we are not setting up enough opportunities. All we do is pass back and forth and hold possession. Possession does not win games. Look honestly I wreckon we need to play the experienced players

4 hours ago, playmaker said:

I thought Bart, Delbridge and Griffiths were very solid last night. Their off the ball positioning and understanding set up a lot of the great defensive interceptions and foiled many of the opposition's central attacking movements. I am on the fence with Jamieson but he had a great game last night.

Those 4 player's deserve to be locked in in their respective positions.

The criticism of Wales is justified to a point 

My greatest concern is Brattan and Vidosic as they are slow and make poor decisions

Wales needs to be dropped and play O,Hallorin instead of Dario. As for Jamieson, idk he keeps getting destroyed by attackers and he can't set up opportunities. I have a problem with McGree because if it ends up like last season when we chose Mauk over Marcin I'm gonna be pissed off. I'm no fan boy of Caceres but in season 15-16 when he came in he changed the way we played. 

17 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Wales needs to be dropped and play O,Hallorin instead of Dario. As for Jamieson, idk he keeps getting destroyed by attackers and he can't set up opportunities. I have a problem with McGree because if it ends up like last season when we chose Mauk over Marcin I'm gonna be pissed off. I'm no fan boy of Caceres but in season 15-16 when he came in he changed the way we played. 

So from your assesment of the team, hardly anyone should be making the XI?...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, haz said:

So from your assesment of the team, hardly anyone should be making the XI?...

Atkinson and Wales. Give Caceres an opportunity and if he doesn't perform then chuck McGree back on the XI. Personally I think Jamieson is overrated and we have like 8 fkn defenders anyway so I'm sure someone could replace him for a match and see how they perform.

Was there.

First half was a joke. We played for nothing. Could not get the ball out of our midfield - credit to WSW. 

2nd half much better - urgency and purpose. Too little, too late though. Fornaroli will not always be on his best. Obviously lacking in the dept. Obviously over represented in the defence and midfield. Imbalance was on show lastnight.

Thought it was poor we booed Fitzy - always put in a shift for us and nice bloke. But I will shut down for that comment.

Poor performance from Brattan, Griffiths, Vidosic and Bruno. Good from Wales, Mcgree (2nd half), Bart.

Wales ran ragged 0-60. 60-75 stuffed. 75-95 good, especially with Ohalloran finally getting a run. Obvious quality, needs to start. 

Lets be honest, WSW played very well first half and we had no alternative game plan. We went out far too complacent. Did not take our chances. Lacked urgency. Then tried to get past the bus in the final 20. One of the poorest showings I have seen, irrespective of time of year. A lot of this must come back on Joyce - especially chasing the game and trying the same shit over and over.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Indeed. Wales looked OK, it was Bruno who missed a pen and a couple of other chances. We should have scored two before their first. But we looked shapeless, disjointed and lacking in ideas all too often. 

My thoughts exactly we were very disjointed and certainly lacked any finishing we, my wife and i were bored shitless if this is what we can expect for the rest of this season then i am afraid it may be our last.As far as Bruno, ithink he must overthink what he is going to do when he takes a pen and totally stuffs it up .

Edited by johnno cpfc
Added text.

14 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Thought it was poor we booed Fitzy - always put in a shift for us and nice bloke. But I will shut down for that comment.

Didn't hear booing, but that is poor form. Not only did he always work his hardest, the choice to leave was hardly his and he didn't bad mouth the club on the way out. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, malloy said:

Didn't hear booing, but that is poor form. Not only did he always work his hardest, the choice to leave was hardly his and he didn't bad mouth the club on the way out. 

Echoed right around the ground but not for long. He should have been applauded. Anyway another good opportunity down the drain! 

22 hours ago, Cloughie said:

I dont know why the slightly older kiddies who used to be at the front of the terrace are now right up the back yelling pointless crap at the even younger kiddies at the front, but I wish you'd all sort your shit out sooner rather than later. The rest of us just want to drink beer and sing.

Bunch of guys who were in row Z are absolute flogs. Every time anyone tried to start a chant down the front they shut them down. Trumpet song started. They shut it down. Not really sure what your problem is guys. When the megaphone came up you said no and told whoever had it to fuck off. If you can do a better job do it. Don't sit back and hassle the people trying to bring some atmosphere to the game. Killed any fun down the active end. Also, the main wanker of the bunch stood for 45 minutes and didn't take a single sip of his beer and it annoyed the absolute shit out of me. 

• Like 4

So in summary, according to this forum

Atkinson needs to be dropped

Bart is a legend

Delbridge, Griffiths, Jamieson had great games and were hopeless

Brattan needs to go but was great

Mcgree was a spectator but was a good contributor.

Wales and Vidosic were the best players on the night at the same time as being the 2 worst on the night.

Bruno had a bad game but was solid even though he squandered multiple opportunities that wasn't his fault and must be our penalty taker even though he should never take another penalty again.

Wazza made the right moves even though we lost and nobody understood his subs.

It's going to be a long season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

Bart is a legend

Wales and Vidosic were the best players on the night at the same time as being the 2 worst on the night.

Bruno had a bad game but was solid even though he squandered multiple opportunities that wasn't his fault and must be our penalty taker even though he should never take another penalty again.

Thats exactly what a forum is

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Bart is a legend

I wonder how much cognitive bias is exercised when watching a game of football. We try to be objective, but its a fucking hard game to be. All it can take is a moment to overturn misery; and a moment of misery to overturn quality. 

Most of the time, when I watch at least, I am unaware who has the ball. I am watching the ball. It is played too fast and often I am too far from the action to be aware always.

For the same reasons we let off people (Brattan for example) whilst crucify others (Malik for example). Wales could be great, but he is not what Arzani was and therefore poor. Our cognitive bias does inevitably impact how we view the game. It would result in a mixture of opinions like those spoken about above. 

Until we are gifted the quantitative data to support our perceptions, all we have to go on is our qualitiative experience. No two people view the same event in the same way. 

I doubt we are all going to be able to agree. Was Wales good or not? Was Vidosic quiet, or just invisible on the non spectator side? Was Griffiths slow, made far too many crucial errors and slow play, or did he do a good job at keeping possession and setting up forward momentum? 

Edited by JMSTEP123

11 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

I wonder how much cognitive bias is exercised when watching a game of football. We try to be objective, but its a fucking hard game to be. All it can take is a moment to overturn misery; and a moment of misery to overturn quality. 

Most of the time, when I watch at least, I am unaware who has the ball. I am watching the ball. It is played too fast and often I am too far from the action to be aware always.

For the same reasons we let off people (Brattan for example) whilst crucify others (Malik for example). Wales could be great, but he is not what Arzani was and therefore poor. Our cognitive bias does inevitably impact how we view the game. It would result in a mixture of opinions like those spoken about above. 

Until we are gifted the quantitative data to support our perceptions, all we have to go on is our qualitiative experience. No two people view the same event in the same way. 

Image result for maths gif

Trying to analyse a person perception of what a supporter saw is almost impossible. Even if @haz suggests there is some magical formula (:D). There are too many variable factors. This is what makes football great everyone has their; opinions, favourite players, disliked players, position in the ground, their method of watching the game, their knowledge of the game and the list goes on. I like to listen to the different views of others and I argue for own assessments. I always found it entertaining talking about the game with a few mates over a beer or two after the game we never agreed. Cheers 🍷🍷🍷

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...