Melbourne Football

FFA Cup - QF: City v Wanderers, AAMI Park, September 19 @ 7.30

Harrison

18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

For me Wales had a good match - can't see why he cops so much criticism. I would have a forward line of Wales, Fornaroli and O'Halloran.

My opininon on Wales is that when he has the ball, he seems like he does a lot (chops, step overs etc) but nothing ever happens afterwards. He had about 10 attempted crosses and I think only 1-2 were decent (the ones that Bruno missed).

He's a slighty better Kamau, who has a few more tricks in his locker.

No doubt I believe he will improve though

Edited by haz

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Atkinson was loose in the first half and I put a question mark against his name;

Wazza needs a question mark, because he was crazy to think bonavacia could be contained by Atkinson

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Vidosic just didn't get into the match at all.

He is rubbish. Not a starter.

I don't know what they do at training tbh as they are totally disjointed.

Set pieces are a joke and really should be the easiest thing to practice.

Wazza out, he is a joke.

Not totally dissapointed to be out of the cup but still hate losing.

Overall we performed better but couldn't finish. A solution needs to be found for when we have a penalty. Either Bruno stops taking them or someone else stands up and demands the ball from him. His record simply isn't good enough. 

Our line up was as expected for a game at this time of season. Where I think we did fuck up was with our subs. Putting Da Laet further forward instead of Caceras was a mistake. Maybe Joyce simply wanted to give him game time. Anywhere on the pitch. 

Did Wales play that poorly? He seemed to be our only threat besides Bruno and made a number of decent forays into the box with one where he picked out Bruno beautifully. I thought he was one of our better players going forward. Fwiw there's certainly not enough criticism of Brattan on here. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 6

Got back from the 3hr round trip

- Atkinson’s ass got save 4-5 times by the amazing Speed of Bart I think Richie should start in the position as he actually hit 1-2 good crosses in the 5 minutes he played there

- Not a fan of Delbridge but tonight was solid won the ball in the air nicely 

- need to play with 2 attacking midfielders IMO so we can have some to hit a cross to 

- O’Halloran will be a good signing for us 

- Should’ve seen Berenguer at the 75” mark

heres my hopeful line up for Round 1 

183CC375-8F37-416F-93CB-E18195FF0D1E.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Got back from the 3hr round trip

- Atkinson’s ass got save 4-5 times by the amazing Speed of Bart I think Richie should start in the position as he actually hit 1-2 good crosses in the 5 minutes he played there

- Not a fan of Delbridge but tonight was solid won the ball in the air nicely 

- need to play with 2 attacking midfielders IMO so we can have some to hit a cross to 

- O’Halloran will be a good signing for us 

- Should’ve seen Berenguer at the 75” mark

heres my hopeful line up for Round 1

Have to agree about Delbridge. I was critical of BigBoyHaz last season, but he has improved well this season. Hopefully he gets better and he can push himself to be a starter alongside Bort.

Atkinson on the other hand has been disappointing. As I said in the Brisbane game thread, if he was a new signing or a youth player making his debut, we would have never seen him again. I'll admit that I think he is more a winger/wingback. But his defending ability isn't that great. Lets say Malik or Delbridge are playing RB, Atkinson is the type of player that I would bring on to replace these guys at RB if we were chasing a game.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/ffa-cup/sydney-fc-v-avondale-fc-live-blog/news-story/2575244833be1b6eaaa3ebbd33b69fdd

Watched the goals again. When defending corners the vast majority of teams have players on both posts. I have not noticed it before, we did not have any defenders on the posts. Is this the norm and I have missed it. If we had a man on the back post, he would have cleared it.

Various other posts have made points well about what went on on the pitch, suffice to say that Brattan still hasn't had enough grief for a bloody awful performance. But three other things:

1. The announcer was an embarrassment. I mean laugh out loud embarrassing. Give the mic to me, at least I've got some experience public speaking, I can pronounce Fornaroli, and I don't think our opponents were called Western City Wanderers. 

2. The stewarding. We went to the far end of the ground for the second half (the usual GA end). Stewards were paranoid about keeping City and WSW fans apart (how would they cope at a Derby?). At one point they were trying to split up a group of mates which included supporters of both teams. Even the police were despairing, and they could easily have provoked a public order incident, rather than preventing one. As it was there was no chance of any issues between opposing fans. Now makes me wonder what sort of officious stupidity is going on in active, and how much that is affecting our overall attendance, atmosphere and goodwill. 

3. As others have said, the atmosphere was funereal, and the crowd appeared even less bothered than the fans. I do worry that this club will die of apathy, lack of success and underachievement. 

Edited by fensaddler
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, haz said:

Have to agree about Delbridge. I was critical of BigBoyHaz last season, but he has improved well this season. Hopefully he gets better and he can push himself to be a starter alongside Bort.

Atkinson on the other hand has been disappointing. As I said in the Brisbane game thread, if he was a new signing or a youth player making his debut, we would have never seen him again. I'll admit that I think he is more a winger/wingback. But his defending ability isn't that great. Lets say Malik or Delbridge are playing RB, Atkinson is the type of player that I would bring on to replace these guys at RB if we were chasing a game.

Pierias is a better RB then Atkinson delbridge or Malik 

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Various other posts have made points well about what went on on the pitch, suffice to say that Brattan still hasn't had enough grief for a bloody awful performance. But three other things:

1. The announcer was an embarrassment. I mean laugh out loud embarrassing. Give the mic to me, at least I've got some experience public speaking, I can pronounce Fornaroli, and I don't think our opponents were called Western City Wanderers. 

2. The stewarding. We went to the far end of the ground for the second half (the usual GA end). Stewards were paranoid about keeping City and WSW fans apart (how would they cope at a Derby?). At one point they were trying to split up a group of mates which included supporters of both teams. Even the police were despairing, and they could easily have provoked a public order incident, rather than preventing one. As it was there was no chance of any issues between opposing fans. Now makes me wonder what sort of officious stupidity is going on in active, and how much that is affecting our overall attendance, atmosphere and goodwill. 

3. As others have said, the atmosphere was funereal, and the crowd appeared even less bothered than the fans. I do worry that this club will die of apathy, lack of success and underachievement. 

We have to be careful that we don't over-react to one match, but as we enter our ninth season I've missed maximum six home matches over that period (all because of conflicting arrangements) I can't recall an occasion when the match presentation and atmosphere was more dismal. Even that match against CCM when we were all soaked to the skin and the kick-off was delayed, and the one against Newcastle where we were soaked again and lost 2-0 against nine men.

FMD last night was miserable.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

Not totally dissapointed to be out of the cup but still hate losing.

Overall we performed better but couldn't finish. A solution needs to be found for when we have a penalty. Either Bruno stops taking them or someone else stands up and demands the ball from him. His record simply isn't good enough. 

Our line up was as expected for a game at this time of season. Where I think we did fuck up was with our subs. Putting Da Laet further forward instead of Caceras was a mistake. Maybe Joyce simply wanted to give him game time. Anywhere on the pitch. 

Did Wales play that poorly? He seemed to be our only threat besides Bruno and made a number of decent forays into the box with one where he picked out Bruno beautifully. I thought he was one of our better players going forward. Fwiw there's certainly not enough criticism of Brattan on here. 

Totally agree with you re Brattan and other points.

I'm a big fan of Brattan, but was very disappointed with him last night. I though McGree was also missing until the goal. I like Griffiths and thought he was ok, but for some reason that midfield failed to fire in that first half.

Maybe it was related to the physicality and harassment from the wanderers boys. Looks like the did their homework on us last night.

Edited by rass

Lol anyone that thinks Wales was shit last night is retarded. He was easily our man of the match.
Does he have the best cross? No, but he still put two on a plate for Bruno and repeatedly beat his man and got into the box. Clearly he's this seasons Malik to a few; 'experts' that have made an early call and will stick to it irrespective of the evidence.

End of the day i dont think we played too badly, but Bruno missing a hattrick of sitters in the first 20 min is always going to come back to bite you. WSW only had 3 chances and took two of them, we had a plethora and took one.
I actually didnt mind the De Laet sub; by that stage WSW had all but parked the bus and our best chance of equalising was to try to pin point a few crosses into the area. Ritchie has a bloody good cross on him, unfortunately we just didnt put it away. Agree with @rass though, Atkinson's days at RB are numbered imo.
Delbridge was pretty good defensively, but he can't pass at all and the other teams know it. They played to it a bit, even if we didnt cough up a goal last night directly because of it.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, bt50 said:

38 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Lol anyone that thinks Wales was shit last night is retarded. He was easily our man of the match.
Does he have the best cross? No, put he still but two on a plate for Bruno and repeatedly beat his man and got into the box. Clearly he's this seasons Malik to a few; 'experts' that have made an early call and will stick to it irrespective of the evidence.

End of the day i dont think we played too badly, but Bruno missing a hattrick of sitters in the first 20 min is always going to come back to bite you. WSW only had 3 chances and took two of them, we had a plethora and took one.
I actually didnt mind the De Laet sub; by that stage WSW had all but parked the bus and our best chance of equalising was to try to pin point a few crosses into the area. Ritchie has a bloody good cross on him, unfortunately we just didnt put it away. Agree with @rass though, Atkinson's days at RB are numbered imo.
Delbridge was pretty good defensively, but he can't pass at all and the other teams know it. They played to it a bit, even if we didnt cough up a goal last night directly because of it.

So true. Pretty sure if Wales was wearing the #14 last night, there would have been the biggest flogfest of all on this forum. Thought his game was very similar to how Arzani played, but with a reluctance to take the final shot.

Edited by rass

I still dont rate Mcgree or Wales. The ball landing at McGrees feet and he took a lucky shot imo but he didn't really do much the rest of the night. I think he plays similar to Mauk. As for Wales, he has played and has not done much. I understand that both McGree and Wales are young but we need experience on the pitch if we want to win. Caceres should be given a starting opportunity as att mid with both O,Hallorin and the French bloke both of the wing and to drop Vidosic with that. Also we desperately need another striker. We can't only have Bruno.

As for defense, Atkinson is the same. Even last season he got out done by Bonavacia, Leroy, Zullo and others. He is young and is talented but he shouldn't start every match. We have over 6 defenders ffs and most of them have had experience and are descent. And imo as well, I dont think Jamison is that good. I reckon there are better choices then him. 

I dont know what they train in Bundoora but it doesn't look like they do much. We can't set up opportunities and one twos that often. This season is already over even though it hasn't started

1 hour ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

I still dont rate Mcgree or Wales. The ball landing at McGrees feet and he took a lucky shot imo but he didn't really do much the rest of the night. I think he plays similar to Mauk. As for Wales, he has played and has not done much. I understand that both McGree and Wales are young but we need experience on the pitch if we want to win. Caceres should be given a starting opportunity as att mid with both O,Hallorin and the French bloke both of the wing and to drop Vidosic with that. Also we desperately need another striker. We can't only have Bruno.

As for defense, Atkinson is the same. Even last season he got out done by Bonavacia, Leroy, Zullo and others. He is young and is talented but he shouldn't start every match. We have over 6 defenders ffs and most of them have had experience and are descent. And imo as well, I dont think Jamison is that good. I reckon there are better choices then him. 

I dont know what they train in Bundoora but it doesn't look like they do much. We can't set up opportunities and one twos that often. This season is already over even though it hasn't started

That’s the two players you don’t rate, Wales maybe but Riley by far our best recruit.

I thought Bart, Delbridge and Griffiths were very solid last night. Their off the ball positioning and understanding set up a lot of the great defensive interceptions and foiled many of the opposition's central attacking movements. I am on the fence with Jamieson but he had a great game last night.

Those 4 player's deserve to be locked in in their respective positions.

The criticism of Wales is justified to a point as I think his positioning is predictable and one dimensional however his effort with the ball is very good and he managed to create opportunities. We need to remember that he is young which reflects where he is at in his development/smarts, so if he falls short of our expectations then it reflects a recruiting problem more than anything.

My greatest concern is Brattan and Vidosic as they are slow and make poor decisions.

On a positive note we have 4 class players to add to our starting list which will only allow Bruno more freedom which results in a more creative front third.

Round 1 is going to be epic.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

Thought Wales was one of our best. Actually ran at defenders and created chances (2 for Bruno). Poor game by Vidosic's standards, pretty anonymous (O'Halloran was good). Atkinson had a poor game. Yes, he was up against quality opposition (and i normally back him) but he couldn't step up. His place should definitely in doubt. 

For me, the issue continues to be the lack of movement and creativity. Brattan and Griffiths are both great players on their day but they play a similar role. Delbridge can't pass effectively out from the back (like Bart can) and Jamison doesn't have the ability to take players on or bring the ball forward. This all leads to too much stationary play, slow ball movement and sideways passing. I thought McGree did about as well as he could given the options he had. Bruno actually players more like a target man than anything else so doesn't actually create space and movement for those around him (also could be that every team man-marks him).

I want to see De Laet and Bart at CB as i think this will help build play. One of Brattan or Griffiths and then a working mid (McGree) and a creative player.

Or as an alternative, play Vidosic behind Bruno to allow link-up play, Brattan/Griffiths and McGree and then get wingers who run at their men (O'Halloran and Wales). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bt50 said:

Does he have the best cross? No, but he still put two on a plate for Bruno and repeatedly beat his man and got into the box. Clearly he's this seasons Malik to a few; 'experts' that have made an early call and will stick to it irrespective of the evidence.

Agree 100%

Thought Wales was fantastic last night. The only thing i'll say that most crosses into the box will look like crap if you have bugger all options in there besides Bruno to cross the ball to.

That's probably one of the worst things that i saw out of the game. No one presented a physical presence in the box what so ever which made balls by who ever put it in there, redundant 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

Agree 100%

Thought Wales was fantastic last night. The only thing i'll say that most crosses into the box will look like crap if you have bugger all options in there besides Bruno to cross the ball to.

That's probably one of the worst things that i saw out of the game. No one presented a physical presence in the box what so ever which made balls by who ever put it in there, redundant 

The lack of people pushing forward to get into the box when we were on the break was very, very noticeable imo.

• Like 1