Melbourne Football

City Youth Players to Watch

citymad

On 8/14/2018 at 5:15 PM, haz said:

Dont know if this thread is needed, but its hard trying to find a thread to post info about Youth players on the cusp of breaking into the 1st team. I know we have a Youth section of the forum, but stuff always get lost and never read. Also its better then making individual threads for each youth player where only 1-2 posts are made.

Anyways, heres a good piece on Iannucci

Well, in the Youth section there's "Young City players selected for National Teams" and "City Youth Players to watch," but I agree that not too many people seem to look at that section. Happy to let this thread keep going.

Here's another group of our younger players coming through- https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/international-city-academy-group-selected-u16-training-camp

• Like 1

Just now, jw1739 said:

Well, in the Youth section there's "Young City players selected for National Teams" and "City Youth Players to watch," but I agree that not too many people seem to look at that section. Happy to let this thread keep going.

Here's another group of our younger players coming through- https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/international-city-academy-group-selected-u16-training-camp

I had the idea that this thread would be more so for players you get a random 10mins with the seniors or make it to the bench. They might never be seen again (take Millar for example), so this would be for that fine line between Youth Player and Fringe First Team without having an almost empty player thread on this main forum.

On 8/14/2018 at 5:15 PM, haz said:

Dont know if this thread is needed, but its hard trying to find a thread to post info about Youth players on the cusp of breaking into the 1st team. I know we have a Youth section of the forum, but stuff always get lost and never read. Also its better then making individual threads for each youth player where only 1-2 posts are made.

Anyways, heres a good piece on Iannucci

What position is Iannucci naturally? I know he's a winger but unsure if he's left or right sided, would be awesome if he was left sided. 

I have seen this kid play a few times in the NYL. He seems to go under the radar a bit but from the sounds of it is soon going to get some time on the pitch soon.  If he has grown over 12 inches in two years thats a huge amount and it's  no wonder he is getting growth related injuries. Players develop at different rates so it is not necessarily those players that mature earlier that are going to eventually be the standouts. Some experts have talked about this as a problem in Oz youth development where many players are looked over or released because they are late physical developers. Good to see city are focused on the individual players and their different needs.  

from a daily football show article:

Arzani was one of two young guns to burst onto the scene with City last season – the other being right-back Nathaniel Atkinson.

RELATED: EuROOvision: Aziz Behich on the move

Armstrong named 18-year-old midfielder Connor Metcalfe as the next starlet off the production line to make Warren Joyce’s first team grade.

“One player that we hold really high hopes for – he’s had some difficulties with injuries over the last couple of years – is Connor Metcalfe,” he added.

Melbourne-City-FC-Training-Session-15350 Connor Metcalfe challenging Bruce Kamau in City training last season

“Most of his injuries are related to him growing.

“I think he’s edging six foot now and when he came to us in 2016, he was barely five foot.

“It’s great to see him develop a strong physical specimen, but he’s one to really look out for once he gets some consistent game time on the park.”

• 1 month later...

Just checking out the Joeys progress recently. They lost in the Semi to Japan in the AFC U16 tournament 3:1.

Of the 23 boy squad 5 are City youth players 4 are Sydney FC they rest are singles from other A League and a couple NPL.

But to have 5 in the squad is pretty impressive. TBH not sure and cbf checking any further how many of the 5 are starters, nevertheless it's a good thing. I just hope with the changing landscape of the game recently a complete overhaul of youth development is also included. That is, that clubs are encouraged and incentivised to develop youtth. As a result youth players get tied up to long-term deals between 17 and 21 so they can reach full potential and not chop and change every season.

In the the recent U20 camp 7 of the 24 man squad are City players. 

It's a very interesting time and seeds of cunning plan have definitely been sown.

Edited by Jovan

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not familiar with all the faces in the recent City squad photograph. In particular, who is who amongst the young players?

First row - first right Iannucci next to him Cavalio....last on the left - Lesiotis next - Pierias next - Najjarine

Second row Keeper - Delinov

Thrid row - first on right - Metcalfe next to him Najjar

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Najjarine scored in the 89th minute for Australia to draw with S.Korea 1-1

• 2 City players in the XI: Atkinson (Google has him at CM??) and Delianov
  • Najjarine subbed on at 76min
  • 4 City boys remained on the bench
  • Delianov most viewers' MOTM
Edited by haz
  • Like 2

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:14 AM, neio said:

Interesting that on the fox sports season preview show, Simon Hill named Najjarine as his player to watch this season, said there is always one young guys who breaks through and he said it will be him 

in Joyce's post match press conference he said either Najjarine or Najjar were well ahead of Azarni until they got a shoulder injury.