Melbourne Football

Haz'z 'n' Shazz'z Asian Cup Thread.

Dylan

• 1 month later...

Well the Arnold era is about to start, or perhaps more correctly the Arnold era II. For the record I’m an Arnold fan and believe he’s the best available/ realistic appointment.

As I see it his biggest challenge will be the one that brought the veteran coach Van Marwick unstuck- scoring goals. We all know we’ve got some great midfielders, we’ve got s great goalie, we’ve got some Ok defenders and some decent wingers, but we simply don’t have an international class striker.

In fact I’ll go a step further, we haven’t produced a striker even close to international standard since Viduka. Timmy Cahill was fantastic but I don’t count him, he was a goal scoring midfielder pushed forward in desperation. I’ve no doubt that if one time second stringers “Unlucky” John Aloisi or Paul Agostino were running around now they’d be starting every game.

This desperation is reflected in plucking the unknown John Iredale from a youth league and the recall of the long forgotten Mitch Duke. The one positive is that the likes of Tomi Juric and Jamie Maclaren still have time on their side, even if both seem short of the required standard right now. 

If Melbourne City reject John Roberts can get a couple of starts this season I wouldn’t be shocked if he finds himself in a squad.

Ultimately we won’t win games if we can’t score goals, so good luck Arnie, hope one of these boys comes through.

Edited by Shahanga

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Well the Arnold era is about to start, or perhaps more correctly the Arnold era II. For the record I’m an Arnold fan and believe he’s the best available/ realistic appointment.

As I see it his biggest challenge will be the one that brought the veteran coach Van Marwick unstuck- scoring goals. We all know we’ve got some great midfielders, we’ve got s great goalie, we’ve got some Ok defenders and some decent wingers, but we simply don’t have an international class striker.

In fact I’ll go a step further, we haven’t produced a striker even close to international standard since Viduka. Timmy Cahill was fantastic but I don’t count him, he was a goal scoring midfielder pushed forward in desperation. I’ve no doubt that if one time second stringers “Unlucky” John Aloisi or Paul Agostino were running around now they’d be starting every game.

This desperation is reflected in plucking the unknown John Iredale from a youth league and the recall of the long forgotten Mitch Duke. The one positive is that the likes of Tomi Juric and Jamie Maclaren still have time on their side, even if both seem short of the required standard right now. 

If Melbourne City reject John Roberts can get a couple of starts this season I wouldn’t be shocked if he finds himself in a squad.

Ultimately we won’t win games if we can’t score goals, so good luck Arnie, hope one of these boys comes through.

I think it was more a case of he was homesick

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Was waiting for the pedants on that. Was a bit tongue in cheek.

The truth is He was our player and now he’s not. I’ve never seen an explanation, or even an announcement of his departure for that matter, so who knows.

I actually have no idea but that’s the theory that makes the most sense IMO. What was he? 16? 

10 hours ago, Dylan said:

I actually have no idea but that’s the theory that makes the most sense IMO. What was he? 16? 

He was 16 when he left us - turned 17 just a few weeks later. He came to us from the AIS mid-2017, so he was with us less than 6 months.

His departure was never announced by City. We guessed he'd gone, but the confirmation was from WSW's Twitter account.

• 3 months later...

Predictions?

Group A

UAE

Thailand

Bahrain

India

Group B

Australia

Jordan

Syria

Palestine

Group C

Korea Republic

China PR

Philippines

Kyrgyzstan

Group D

Iran

Iraq

Vietnam

Yemen

Group E

Saudi Arabia

Qatar

Korea DPR

Lebanon

Group F

Japan

Uzbekistan

Oman

Turkmenistan

Winner - Japan
Runner Up - Saudi Arabia
Aus Campaign - IMO we'll do quite well early but ultimately japan are a better side and will do us when we inevitably cop them in the quarter final. Would prob be better for us as far as advancing as far as possible to not top the group...

Cant get over the fox people who have been saying its a traviesty that some of the Aleague based players like Antonis and Goodwin havent got in, yet Amini is in. I could almost 100% guarantee you they dont watch any games in Denmark to see whether he deserves it or not

Im going Qatar to win. They will want to integrate all their new Brazilians for 2022

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

Just saw where they stand , Ooooman they’re ranked 82 in the world...so I wouldn’t get my hopes up for the AC

Not Germany I know, but in the past we’d have a 1-1 draw and the players would come out and say “Asian teams are getting better”.

our record against Oman was poor, so that was a good win.

21 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

It's a sad state of affairs that the bloke leading the line is the 4th choice striker for the team sitting in 8th in the SPL. 

Rumour control he is replacing Bruno

Ross went to team 9th in the SPFL

Edited by Inchcolm

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

On a good day our depth is questionable, but of the 3 players we have playing in top leagues, 2 are injured.

On top of that so are the next two best. Little wonder we look toothless 

Mooy, Arzani, Nabbout, Boyle and Leckie all out. That's 4, maybe 5 of our starting front 6 out injured. 
I mean we're toothless at the best of times, but we're really fighting with both hands tied behind our back in this tournament.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Mooy, Arzani, Nabbout, Boyle and Leckie all out. That's 4, maybe 5 of our starting front 6 out injured. 
I mean we're toothless at the best of times, but we're really fighting with both hands tied behind our back in this tournament.

Yea but fuck Arnie etc etc.

Rogic is such a nothing international player. For all his skill and technique he is incapable of imposing himself on the game and makes way too little of his chances at this level. 

We continue to be toothless in attack, Mabil, like Arzani in the WC (and Leckie tbf) is one of the only players to actually look dangerous because he can run and move with the ball. Everyone else is so stagnant or unable to get the ball into a good threatening position. 

McLaren is possibly the least effective player to be in our squad in the last few years. Contributes absolutely nothing. Is tiny so not only is unable to have any physical presence but is worked off the ball all to easily, lacks the elite pace to be a danger in the open, has no hold up play ability and is middling to poor on the ball anyway. 

Geez that was a disspoiting performance. For all our "dominance" you never really felt like we were a threat aside from maybe getting a lucky goal to even up the scores. Deserved the end result. 

53 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Rogic is such a nothing international player. For all his skill and technique he is incapable of imposing himself on the game and makes way too little of his chances at this level. 

Fixed. Anyone can look good playing for Celtic in the SPL. He's been playing against opposition that is the equivalent of League One and below, hardly great for development long term. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Well we got the job done over those giants of football, Palestine and wonder of wonders MacLaren even scored a goal.

now well placed to go through. A draw vs Syria should do it (Palestine will need to beat Jordan by 5 in that case, seems unlikely)

A draw will do it as the 4 best 3rd place finishers go through as well.
Finishing 2nd is oddly a better result draw wise than 1st as it means we avoid Japan until the latter stages of the tournament.

• Like 1

We were going to find it tough to break teams down consistently without Mooy, Arzani and Boyle. Leckie's injury didn't help.

Zero goals against the better teams in Jordan, Uzbekistan and the UAE is poor but I'm not surprised.

We're an average team in Asia and qualifying for the WC will be a tough slog. 

This is just the reality of Australian football at the minute. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

We were going to find it tough to break teams down consistently without Mooy, Arzani and Boyle. Leckie's injury didn't help.

Zero goals against the better teams in Jordan, Uzbekistan and the UAE is poor but I'm not surprised.

We're an average team in Asia and qualifying for the WC will be a tough slog. 

This is just the reality of Australian football at the minute. 

The bloke everyone loved to hate Timmy Cahill was pretty much the only bloody reason we made the last cup. 

Our striker cupboard is bare. In fact I’m not sure we even have a cupboard. 

• jw1739 changed the title to Haz'z 'n' Shazz'z Asian Cup Thread.