Melbourne Football

Russel Griffiths (I hope I pronounced that correctly)

Dylan

6 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Pushes Malik right back down to CB?

Who knows what Joyce's plans are tbh but if it was me i'd probably have Malik marked as back up DM with La Rocca and Delbridge the back up CB's (assuming we sign a visa CB still). Malik is the bench option of those three as he's better from a flexibility point of view.

I can't see that we won't sign a visa CB tbh, not if we let Jakobsen go when he was clearly the 2nd choice behind Bart.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Good signing. Prob pushes Malik out of the other DM position. CB and marquee winger hopefully still to go :rolleyes:

Solid signing, 2-year contract. Malik's only on a one-season extension - it'll be interesting to see what he does from here. There was a rumour that he wanted to return to Adelaide.

I see him as major upgrade on Malik.

Vidosic was about the only one left at the end of last year who could header a ball. This guy will be a definite aerial threat for us, something Malik wasn't. Tough as nails too.

Not sure why peeps on here can't see how this signing will help us.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, rass said:

I see him as major upgrade on Malik.

Vidosic was about the only one left at the end of last year who could header a ball. This guy will be a definite aerial threat for us, something Malik wasn't. Tough as nails too.

Not sure why peeps on here can't see how this signing will help us.

Yes he will help us and it's a good signing. I'm just trying to think what happens to Malik, and maybe even McGee might play on the wing? I just don't want Malik to go back to CB

24 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

That's a really good interview.

Absolutely. A bloody good interview - best I've seen and heard for a while. Got away from the standard CFG bullshit and was refreshingly honest. I like the guy already.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, haz said:

Yes he will help us and it's a good signing. I'm just trying to think what happens to Malik, and maybe even McGee might play on the wing? I just don't want Malik to go back to CB

I think we are all aware that Wazza likes Malik as a player. I'm not sure there's a hell of a case to suggest that he's favoured him over others however and I'm not prepared to slag him off about picking Malik at CB until he actually does it. My assumption at this stage is that he views Malik as a mid that can fill a role at CB if needed, and that Brattan, Malik, McGree, Griffiths, Caceras and maybe Vidosic are essentially going to scrap for the three midfield positions available. May the best fitting three win.

• Like 1

Stoked with this. Really good signing. This guy will give us a lot defensively and is a natural leader. 

Our midfield is probably the strongest in the competition. Still lacks a bit of attacking firepower but we’ve still got some players to sign.

Very happy with the club and our acquisitions. 

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Stoked with this. Really good signing. This guy will give us a lot defensively and is a natural leader. 

Our midfield is probably the strongest in the competition. Still lacks a bit of attacking firepower but we’ve still got some players to sign.

Very happy with the club and our acquisitions. 

Needs a hint of a certain Japense blonde boy

Perfect signing, probably one of the best genuine defensive midfielders the competition has seen. Breaks up play, passes well and is a massive aerial threat. Can absolutely forget about signing a #10 now, looks like McGree and Caceres will be battling over the other midfield position alongside Brattan and Griffiths.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Perfect signing, probably one of the best genuine defensive midfielders the competition has seen. Breaks up play, passes well and is a massive aerial threat. Can absolutely forget about signing a #10 now, looks like McGree and Caceres will be battling over the other midfield position alongside Brattan and Griffiths.

I'd be OK with the addition of another good central defender. At that point I'd think we have a very strong squad (though potentially only one marquee at that point). If Arzani leaves he will need to be replaced, and that definitely ought to be a marquee. 

On 20/07/2018 at 10:27 AM, mus-28 said:

I don't see us bringing in a Marquee 10 either. An i like the sound of a defensive mid prowling in front the of the CB's. Depending what formation we play this guy could work as a CDM or dual CB. I think Malik Still has a role to play here and Joyce likes height and defensive mindset. Mailk can be hot and cold i know but in front of a centre back pairing he has a little more luxury. I am still on the fence about Mcgree though. I think Casceras is a better natural and technical 10. I would have Caceras and Brattsy with Bruno upfront if he can get fit before October. 

8 hours ago, citymad said:

I don't see us bringing in a Marquee 10 either. An i like the sound of a defensive mid prowling in front the of the CB's. Depending what formation we play this guy could work as a CDM or dual CB. I think Malik Still has a role to play here and Joyce likes height and defensive mindset. Mailk can be hot and cold i know but in front of a centre back pairing he has a little more luxury. I am still on the fence about Mcgree though. I think Casceras is a better natural and technical 10. I would have Caceras and Brattsy with Bruno upfront if he can get fit before October. 

If he can't get fit before October he should hang up his boots. 

• 4 months later...

What has happened to him? I understand that baccus has come in and effectively taken his spot. But to not even make the bench last night is worrying. Surely we have room for a 6ft3, good in the air, tidy passer and used to be a captain of another team in at least our squad of 15 

3 hours ago, neio said:

What has happened to him? I understand that baccus has come in and effectively taken his spot. But to not even make the bench last night is worrying. Surely we have room for a 6ft3, good in the air, tidy passer and used to be a captain of another team in at least our squad of 15 

Not with WAZZA coaching, he is past the youth stage.

Rostyn Griffiths is 30 years old, and we've signed him for two seasons, i.e. until 31st May 2020. It looks as though he can't get a game under Joyce. This is the sort of thing that makes supporters lose confidence. WTF did we sign him for if we won't play him?

• Like 2