Melbourne Football

Fernando Torres

kingofhearts

1 minute ago, haz said:

Would rather Ross.

This League is embarrassing having the FFA try and sign players to increase viewer ratings. It's like your mum asking out a girl for you

I dunno. Depends on the girl I suppose.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I dunno. Depends on the girl I suppose.

In this case, we're some 8 year old kid, and Torres is the hot 18 year old baby sitter.

she'll flirt with us. But of course nothing will happen

11 minutes ago, haz said:

In this case, we're some 8 year old kid, and Torres is the hot 18 year old baby sitter.

Our dad will probably roofy her so our American cousin can have a crack at her while we hide in the wardrobe

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, haz said:

I tend to think that this "news" is a drip-feed from the player's agent- as a means to show other potential destinations what they have to do to outbid FFA. Which is not much really when you consider the size of transfer fees and players' wages these days.

After Cahill I'm not sure that CFG are going to be particularly interested. 

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

Why do people keep suggesting strikers when we have the best striker in a league history

Only striker I would be happy to sign is Ross, but overall I would rather Arzani stay and take that marquee spot

IMO importing this category of "star player" may well give a short-term boost to actual attendances and to TV audiences but I'm not convinced that this is the way to build the A-League and its constituent clubs in the longer term. I don't think you can point to any lasting effect from Del Piero or Cahill, except in their personal bank accounts. IMO City is on the right track with its Academy and development of home-grown young players alongside its Community work, building the impact of the club that way. Better than importing some show pony who's just here for the money and has no interest in helping the club in the long-term.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Specifically funded for individual players to be brought in? 

Its a negotiation, so it a win win for everyone right? So what's the problem with saying they are being proactive about chasing big names for our competition, Obviously all the parties investing or having interests in the A-league think it's a good idea, No?

Don't care what the details are, I am just happy there is some proactivity for once.

You need to chill.

On second thoughts you are right, this is bullshit, drain the Swamp, sack them all, this proactivity is crap, fold the A-league and foxsports how dare they.

4 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Its a negotiation, so it a win win for everyone right? So what's the problem with saying they are being proactive about chasing big names for our competition, Obviously all the parties investing or having interests in the A-league think it's a good idea, No?

Don't care what the details are, I am just happy there is some proactivity for once.

You need to chill.

On second thoughts you are right, this is bullshit, drain the Swamp, sack them all, this proactivity is crap, fold the A-league and foxsports how dare they.

FFA and Fox are chasing "big names" to prop up television viewer numbers. Throwing good money after bad because they paid far too much for the TV rights in the first place. The fundamental problem is that the FFA/Fox war-chest is so small that it will be out-bid every time by other leagues and broadcasters. For example, the MLS and the Chinese Super league.

These "big names" disappear as fast as they arrive. We just haven't got the money for them to be in sufficient numbers for long enough to build our clubs and our league. The influx of this money will, paradoxically, cause us to go broke quicker.

13 hours ago, playmaker said:

You need to chill.

You're trying to prove a point. But you don't care what the details are. 

Cik6wE-DWe1XrkvKGquCyzNfUwk=.gif

• Like 6